Oregon trail Pro Rally

seabrook71

The Rally America Oregon Trail Pro Rally is scheduled for the weekend of the 15th through the 17th in Hood River.

pepper

Wow, it's been too long since I've been on here, I'll have to remedy that!

Wanted to update this post for the 2010 OTPR, which will be May 14-16. I'm one of the organizers this year so I'd be glad for any questions.

Friday, 5/14, will be superspecial stages at Portland International Raceway and are always a fan favorite. Get up close to the drivers and cars during Parc Expose then watch them from only 20' away as they scream down the front straight, make a u-turn and come screaming back, then slow for a 90-degree exit to the rest of the stage. Often lots of excitement at that 90-degree turn! They'll also race on some of the paved and gravel roads throughout the park and one stage makes use of the motocross track as well. It's definitely a blast!

Saturday, 5/15 finds us starting about ~80 miles east of Portland, just outside Hood River. One of the stages (called Fir Mountain) has some fabulous spectating on a hillside overlooking a high-speed, 60-degee turn. In the afternoon we'll be ~15 miles farther east, racing the roads outside of Dufur, OR. These tend to be very high-speed as they're rural farm roads, rather than mountainous logging roads, and the competitors and spectators love that! We'll have a main spectator area right off Highway 197 just north of Dufur that provides great views for all visitors. The rallyists will be coming off a very fast downhill and you'll be able to see the last half-mile of that. At the bottom they need to slow enough for a 90-degree right and then hard acceleration out of the corner. Should be lots of dirt & dust flying, with great photography from pretty much any viewing spot!

Sunday, 5/16 is again in the Dufur area with the same main spectator area, plus a smaller one another 15 miles from town. At this latter one, the cars will be going from gravel to pavement mid-corner, which could present some interesting twists and turns. And, again, great photography from pretty much every spectating spot.

I'll post more as our materials get prepared. And feel free to ask any questions.

-Mike

This is great Mike! I'm really looking forward to this. I had the opportunity to be a spectator marshal last year and would love to be able to volunteer again. Do you know if there are any more volunteer positions available? Close to the action? :wink: I remember there being some volunteers near the corners on the motocross section, right where they were drifting through the turn...I want to be that guy! :smokes:

Please keep the info coming! It's great to know there's a 'Trac owner involved in the Rally!!

pepper

Yes, we definitely still need volunteers! You can sign up at the Oregon Trail Rally website and going to the Volunteers link there. When you sign up, just add in the notes section that you're a repeat volunteer and you'd like to work spectator. Also add your preference on location, as it won't hurt and might help since you're repeating. I know that I'd give location preference to someone who's repeating their volunteer work.

I'm one of the spectator captains again this year at the main spectator area just outside Dufur on Saturday and Sunday. (I'll be at PIR on Friday but usually just help out wherever needed.) Would love your help in Dufur and if you'd like that too, just add that to the notes section. Or if you'd rather just come and spectate, it's going to be a great location for that!

And, btw, the Olympus Rally is this weekend, 4/24-25, based out of Ocean Shores.

Just sent my volunteer info in. Shooting for Stage Crew - Coarse/Road Marshall. I'll plan on being there saturday for the Durfur section. The more dirt the better! Landon, you should totally volunteer for this! Completely free, plus the perks of being up close to all the action where a normal spectator can't go! 8)

Landon

really? what should i volunteer for? i would totally love too. i'll have to make sure i can make it. but yeah, advise me in which area to vlounteer. lol

Landon

really? what should i volunteer for? i would totally love too. i'll have to make sure i can make it. but yeah, advise me in which area to vlounteer. lol

Sweet! This is a PDF of the volunteer descriptions. It looks like they've gone to a more 'check the box/area that you can help with' approach this year, but you can always throw one of these title's in the notes section of the volunteer form:

http://www.oregontrailrally.com/Downloads/ot08b_voltasks.pdf

I was a spectator marshall last year at PIR. It was pretty awesome! Got to stand a bit closer to the roadway than the rest of the spectators. Pretty much just made sure nobody got too close tot the barrier. Like I was saying earlier, I'd like to try to bump up to a stage/coarse marshall. I remember those guys just hanging out in the corners while they drifted around at speed! Best seat in the house!

Let us know what you do if you can make it! It'd be cool to see ya there :D

Rallyst175

I'll be there for sure. I'm not going to be able to volunteer this year though, I'll be competing. :twisted:

Thank you guys very much for volunteering though, without the volunteers there wouldn't be a rally.

creech_r

Thinking about heading there. I went to the Olympus rally this last weekend and loved it (really loved driving the course with the 'trac).

Yes! Joel, that's awesome!! It'll be sick to see an AllTrac in the mix!!! I'm sure you've been in lots of rally's in the area but I just haven't seen too many. Definitely come down if you can creech_r, the more the merrier!

Btw Joel, do you drive your Trac around town? I think I've seen a couple 165's on T.V. Highway, but was never sure if they were for sure. Got any pics or links to your car? :D

Rallyst175

Lol, sorry I should been more specific... I'll be in an AE86, It's way cheaper to rally. The alltrac is still getting prepped for rally. It's ready for the cage I just haven't got around to building it yet. Plus I'm still not too sure if I want to rally it, it would really suck to crash it.

I haven't driven my celica since like 2006 or so... so it definitely wasn't mine on T.V. hwy. There's a few people around the Hillsboro area that have them but they don't get on here as far as I know. Here's the link to my build thread though, nothing special yet, too many other projects.

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=31402

pepper

Very glad to see all the interest still here! For those just wanting to spectate, the spectator guide should be available shortly. The second post in this thread has some information on the general locations.

I was out at Dufur yesterday planning the layout of the spectator site I'm in charge of there. As mentioned above, you'll be able to see them coming on a steep downhill, then 90 degree right through a gate to continue on the stage. I've also got ~150' feet of viewing alongside the road after the corner, for great views of the cars accelerating hard out of the corner.

Feel free to come say hi! I'll be easy to recognize at Dufur as the big, balding guy with a beard in a marshal vest right at the corner.

And Joel, best of luck in the race! I'll try to come find you at Parc Expose on Friday or Saturday, just to say hi :D

-Mike

3s_woob

Dang I've always wanted to go to one of these. not this year but maybe next time. Is there anything later in the summer?

Mike- Don't know if you remember me since it's been a LONG time but I was the one that set up the meet(your sig pic) with Bill back in the day. I've make a current roll call thread here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=37978. If you can fill it out then I'll try to keep you posted on the next meet. We need to get the alltracs in the NW together again. Do you know if Alex, Scott, or any others still have their cars?

pepper

3s_woob":1wi9m4qr said:
Dang I've always wanted to go to one of these. not this year but maybe next time. Is there anything later in the summer?

Mike- Don't know if you remember me since it's been a LONG time but I was the one that set up the meet(your sig pic) with Bill back in the day. I've make a current roll call thread here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=37978. If you can fill it out then I'll try to keep you posted on the next meet. We need to get the alltracs in the NW together again. Do you know if Alex, Scott, or any others still have their cars?

Sure do remember you Ryan! I've somewhat faded away since my AT died a few years ago, but not completely. I did go ahead and post in the roll call thread. I haven't heard from Alex in years. Scott Kovalik got rid of his AT a few years back, too. Scott Barbur still had his the last I talked with him, but that was a couple years back.

There's a 1-day club rally, the Mt. Hood Rally which will be on October 23rd. Don't know about others that might be sooner and still reasonably close.

3s_woob

Mike- I too have faded out since mine has been down for serveral years. seems to be like everyone has sold theirs or have it in the not running club. :cry: I'm really going to try to get mines done by the end of summer or at least the next rally at Mt. Hood. Maybe we can set up a meet so people can get their cars runnin in time. :D

cederrowe

I should be driving my ST165 to the pir event tomorrow. If I can get it running right, It's cutting severe!..lol
I drive it around Portland Hillsboro area.
And rallycross it.

pepper

cederrowe":iuajq360 said:
I should be driving my ST165 to the pir event tomorrow. If I can get it running right, It's cutting severe!..lol
I drive it around Portland Hillsboro area.
And rallycross it.

Feel free to come find me at PIR and say hi! And I'd love to see the 'trac, no matter how it may be doing :) Not sure what I'm going to be doing, but I'll be helping with volunteer registration and/or spectator control most likely. My full name is Mike Day.