Good Shop for a Block Flush?

de_engineered

Car: 88 Camry All-Trac. Has some other hiccups but this is the one I'm focusing on in the mean time.

I've flushed my radiator twice now, each time with a bottle of Prestone engine detergent, and each time the distilled water looks like badly mixed instant hot chocolate (least I solved the overheating problem in the process by CLR-ing our the feed tube to the overflow tank - thing was caked shut).

Any recomendations for a good shop to really flush my block out in the greater SF Bay Area? I'm based in San Jose but am not adverse to traveling to get this done right.

The water where I live is very hard (don't dry a glass and it'll turn white) and I don't want to deal with the mess of it all too, otherwise I'd have done it myself by now.

phattyduck

Hot chocolate? That sounds like oil getting in the coolant.

Do a few distilled water drain/fills (as long as it isn't getting below freezing at night) to see if you can do it yourself. No need to keep wasting money on coolant until you know you don't have a bigger problem.

-Charlie

de_engineered

It's on 100% distilled water now (I'll cut it with some antifreeze as I've been having to thaw ice off the windows lately), and at about $1.50 a gallon it is indeed cheaper than coolant.

Come to think of it though, the seller did think there might be a leaky head gasket. I know my first car, an 89 Camry with comprable milage to this one, needed a new gasket when I got it.

More flushes for now it is then. Thanks for the advice.