Assistance in Getting my 1988 Halftrac Running Again

Moderator: lumbercis

Re: Assistance in Getting my 1988 Halftrac Running Again

Postby grip-addict » Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:30 pm

injectors are ground switched. that means that they always have 12v on one pin; the ecu will ground out the other pin
when it's time to fire.
are you getting anything with your test light? Is your injector resistor pack hooked up?
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
grip-addict
Club Member

Postby Snyder » Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:53 pm

I get 12v to one side of the injector when I turn the key on.

When the car is running I get 12v steady on the other side I of the injector, not pulsing though.

The resistor pack is hooked up because the other 3 cylinders are firing

Thabks!
Snyder
Club Member

Postby 93celicaconv » Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:58 am

If you are positive that you are not getting a pulsed voltage on the ground side of the injector when the car is running, I would suggest you verify the wire first by checking continuity of the ground side wire of the injector between the injector and the ECU (through the wiring harness). If you get continuity with virtually zero resistance, then the only explanation is your ECU lost the ability to ground that injector via pulsing it properly. That could very well be a capacitor issue. And as stated earlier, you can't always tell a bad capacity by visual inspection. If you have an open in that wire, then you either need to repair the open circuit in that wire or run a good wire between the injector and ECU and cut it into the wiring harness.
Last edited by 93celicaconv on Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
93celicaconv
Club Member

Postby Snyder » Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:51 pm

Good day! Figured out the issue this morning! Mice ate a few wires way up behind the fan assembly. I unplugged the ecu and pulled the harness from the engine bay. That is where I saw the chewed wires.

I soldered them back together and finally started the car! When I did run, prred like a kitten! It not just dies whenever it wants. The check engine light is on for the first time. Has to look at that next.

Thanks again!
Snyder
Club Member

Postby 93celicaconv » Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:12 pm

I guess you did not need to check those wires for continuity, the way you did it. You found the obvious.

Let us know what the DTC(s) are when you check for codes. That is the old OBD-1 system, so unless you have an OBD-1 scanner, you will need to follow the procedure to get the check engine light flashing to give you the code(s).
93celicaconv
Club Member

Postby Snyder » Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:44 am

Good morning, guys! I know what the issue is now. :(

I have a 88 Celica GTS with a 92 JDM 3SGTE and 3SFE trans. I bought the engine from a friends company in 2004, I'm dating myself, and the engine arrived with a chopped harness and an ECU sitting on top. I called my friend and complained about this. He was not aware of this and sent my a complete harness and all sensors for the 3SGTE. I started the swap and back in the day, with dial up internet, I went to my local Toyota Dealership and borrowed the wiring diagram books.

Anyway fast forward, I wired the whole car and was ready to start. I started the car and the car ran like crap. I looked at the computer and it had a badge on it that said SARD. I didn't know what the hell was that at the time and found out that the ecu was chipped for some other configuration than stock. So, I call my friend again and he sent me a stock ECU that match the chipped one. When I swapped it out my swap was running perfectly!

I put the car back together and took it out for the first time. The damn car boosted to 14 psi on a stock ecu! I quickly researched the ecu number and found out its from a 93 JDM MR2 3SGTE which was the only year they set the stock boost to 14 instead of 8.

Anyway, its the stock ecu that is acting up. After dinner last night, I went outside, swapped the ecu and the car started and idled fine with no dying or anything. :(

SO, I now have a stock ecu that needs repair, or I can try to find another one, or I can pay for someone to read the configurations of the SARD chipped one and replace what needs to be to make it run write.

Thanks!

Chris
Snyder
Club Member

Postby 93celicaconv » Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:58 am

This last message is not real clear to me. Are both of your ECUs identical? Sounded like your second one "matched your chipped one", which I interpret to be the same. But then you use the term "stock" ECU for only one of the ECUs. What are the part numbers of both ECUs?

And the 2nd ECU you got (stock) ran the engine perfectly, up to 14 psi boost on a test run, earlier. And today the engine doesn't run or run well with it? So, you put your original chipped ECU back in it and the end runs fine now? And this original ECU caused the engine to run like crap earlier?

Just need to understand your situation clearly to help further.

From what I understand, today, the engine will run perfect as the wiring issues are all resolved, but one of the ECUs is not working properly, but one of them is?
93celicaconv
Club Member

Postby Snyder » Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:01 pm

Hi! Sorry for the winded response!

The wiring issue is resolved.

I have two identical ECUs, 89661-17380, one stock configuration, the other SARD chipped configuration. Both are 93 JDM MR2 with 14psi boost stock.

I had the stock one in the years and ran fine until it sat. Now that the wiring is fixed the stock ECU is not right as the car does not run right. Its hard to start, when it does, the tach is jumping all over the place, then it idles and runs fine for a few mins, then cuts off completely.

For the hell of it and to test the stock ECU, I stuck the SARD chipped one in there and the car starts and runs fine except I have no idea what the SARD configuration is. SO, I know the stock ECU is not working right.

Now I have three choices, find a replacement stock one, try to rebuild the current stock one, or find someone that can read the SARD chipped one, then buy the parts to that specification.

Thanks!
Snyder
Club Member

Postby 93celicaconv » Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:36 pm

This may be an option for you, as I think finding one will be very challenging. This place repairs that particular ECU. it is very costly, especially since the repair service is in the UK. The feedback looks to be quite good on this repair service. Just an alternative thought.

- https://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/TOYOTA-MR2- ... SwUHldypeK
93celicaconv
Club Member

Postby Snyder » Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:53 pm

Thank you! I saw that posting as well. My first thought was the price to replace capacitors which I can do the rest. I will message them and see what this repair entails.

Thanks again!
Snyder
Club Member

Postby Gert » Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:53 pm

Why the hassle? 14 Psi is not that bad. If the Ecu can handle it and your engine is healty, with good intercooling, no probs, I guess.
And if you have worries about that, install an boost device or an EVC. The stock wastegate isn't going any further than about 8 - 10 psi?
In 'normal' conditions, the ECU is only venting some pressure with the VSV to add some boost.
Gert
Club Member

Postby Snyder » Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:28 pm

Hi! Not concerned with the setup, just looking to fix the current ECU, find a replacement, or find out find out the SARD chipped configuration.

Thanks!
Snyder
Club Member

Postby underscore » Mon Nov 07, 2022 6:25 pm

The specifics of the SARD ECU are probably floating around here or on an MR2 forum, but if the car runs and drives properly with it in then you should be good to go?
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby Gert » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:23 am

underscore wrote:The specifics of the SARD ECU are probably floating around here or on an MR2 forum,

As long as (reliable) specs are not provided with the ECU it is all guessing.

In the early days, I did ship my stock ECU to G-Force in the USA. G-Force did make adjustments to the ECU for the specs I provided. That could be anything, like rpm limit, boost cut, injector size, etc. I suppose Sard was doing the same thing.

but if the car runs and drives properly with it in then you should be good to go?

Ditto. Check A/F with an wide band and listen with an knock detection device for detonation. If it works good, your fine. If not, the search for the correct setup begins :)
Gert
Club Member

Postby 88gt4DE » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:04 pm

97JZA80 wrote:Ah I remember the pics of the rollover. Good to see you back on here. Surprised my brother hasn't chimed in yet. Not sure how far you are from us.

Just saw this for the first time. Too far away and I don't have any good Gen2 test parts anyway. :smokes:
Rob
1988 ST165 - 79K - Project ---> http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=31483&start=240
2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 - 170K
2008 Toyota Avalon - 125K - DD - Work Runner
2007 Toyota Rav4 - 160K - Wifey DD
1988 ST165 - 124K- Money Pit #2
88gt4DE
Established Member

Previous

Return to NorthEast