Assistance in Getting my 1988 Halftrac Running Again

Snyder

Good morning, guys! I know what the issue is now. :(

I have a 88 Celica GTS with a 92 JDM 3SGTE and 3SFE trans. I bought the engine from a friends company in 2004, I'm dating myself, and the engine arrived with a chopped harness and an ECU sitting on top. I called my friend and complained about this. He was not aware of this and sent my a complete harness and all sensors for the 3SGTE. I started the swap and back in the day, with dial up internet, I went to my local Toyota Dealership and borrowed the wiring diagram books.

Anyway fast forward, I wired the whole car and was ready to start. I started the car and the car ran like crap. I looked at the computer and it had a badge on it that said SARD. I didn't know what the hell was that at the time and found out that the ecu was chipped for some other configuration than stock. So, I call my friend again and he sent me a stock ECU that match the chipped one. When I swapped it out my swap was running perfectly!

I put the car back together and took it out for the first time. The damn car boosted to 14 psi on a stock ecu! I quickly researched the ecu number and found out its from a 93 JDM MR2 3SGTE which was the only year they set the stock boost to 14 instead of 8.

Anyway, its the stock ecu that is acting up. After dinner last night, I went outside, swapped the ecu and the car started and idled fine with no dying or anything. :(

SO, I now have a stock ecu that needs repair, or I can try to find another one, or I can pay for someone to read the configurations of the SARD chipped one and replace what needs to be to make it run write.

Thanks!

Chris

This last message is not real clear to me. Are both of your ECUs identical? Sounded like your second one "matched your chipped one", which I interpret to be the same. But then you use the term "stock" ECU for only one of the ECUs. What are the part numbers of both ECUs?

And the 2nd ECU you got (stock) ran the engine perfectly, up to 14 psi boost on a test run, earlier. And today the engine doesn't run or run well with it? So, you put your original chipped ECU back in it and the end runs fine now? And this original ECU caused the engine to run like crap earlier?

Just need to understand your situation clearly to help further.

From what I understand, today, the engine will run perfect as the wiring issues are all resolved, but one of the ECUs is not working properly, but one of them is?

Snyder

Hi! Sorry for the winded response!

The wiring issue is resolved.

I have two identical ECUs, 89661-17380, one stock configuration, the other SARD chipped configuration. Both are 93 JDM MR2 with 14psi boost stock.

I had the stock one in the years and ran fine until it sat. Now that the wiring is fixed the stock ECU is not right as the car does not run right. Its hard to start, when it does, the tach is jumping all over the place, then it idles and runs fine for a few mins, then cuts off completely.

For the hell of it and to test the stock ECU, I stuck the SARD chipped one in there and the car starts and runs fine except I have no idea what the SARD configuration is. SO, I know the stock ECU is not working right.

Now I have three choices, find a replacement stock one, try to rebuild the current stock one, or find someone that can read the SARD chipped one, then buy the parts to that specification.

Thanks!

Snyder

Thank you! I saw that posting as well. My first thought was the price to replace capacitors which I can do the rest. I will message them and see what this repair entails.

Thanks again!

Gert

Why the hassle? 14 Psi is not that bad. If the Ecu can handle it and your engine is healty, with good intercooling, no probs, I guess.
And if you have worries about that, install an boost device or an EVC. The stock wastegate isn't going any further than about 8 - 10 psi?
In 'normal' conditions, the ECU is only venting some pressure with the VSV to add some boost.

Snyder

Hi! Not concerned with the setup, just looking to fix the current ECU, find a replacement, or find out find out the SARD chipped configuration.

Thanks!

underscore

The specifics of the SARD ECU are probably floating around here or on an MR2 forum, but if the car runs and drives properly with it in then you should be good to go?

Gert

underscore":1x30i4d8 said:
The specifics of the SARD ECU are probably floating around here or on an MR2 forum,
As long as (reliable) specs are not provided with the ECU it is all guessing.

In the early days, I did ship my stock ECU to G-Force in the USA. G-Force did make adjustments to the ECU for the specs I provided. That could be anything, like rpm limit, boost cut, injector size, etc. I suppose Sard was doing the same thing.

but if the car runs and drives properly with it in then you should be good to go?
Ditto. Check A/F with an wide band and listen with an knock detection device for detonation. If it works good, your fine. If not, the search for the correct setup begins :)

88gt4DE

97JZA80":2o8va9kg said:
Ah I remember the pics of the rollover. Good to see you back on here. Surprised my brother hasn't chimed in yet. Not sure how far you are from us.

Just saw this for the first time. Too far away and I don't have any good Gen2 test parts anyway. :smokes: