Moving to Syracuse, NY, Need info on Safety & Emissions

ComaD

I'm moving to Syracuse, NY this summer for school and was wondering if anyone near there has some information on what the emissions and safety requirements are in the area.

I'm mostly concerned with visual inspection on the 3rd Gen 3SGTE and emissions requirements (no catalytic converter).

I'd also like to get in touch with other members in the area, I saw a couple of people in that general area on the member map.

brutekiller787

Congrats, I assumed syracuse university? I live about 2.5 hours south west of there. Crazy drivers up there. As for emissions, since its obd1 it really depends on the shop. They don't even look at my st165 in my town but it really depends.

Tecker185

For older cars they bust are balls about e-brakes and lights. Most shops do not know what there looking for so don't worry about it.

ComaD

All of the electrical components function, so that shouldn't be of any concern.

The other thing I wonder about is the fuel cell I had installed. I've been considering installing hard lines (metal) to try and reduce the gas smell from the soft lines (rubber). I may just have to seal the whole thing off with a false floor. This car is an AWD conversion, so the stock tank was replaced with a fuel cell that is half in the trunk with exposed side fill hose and fuel sender and return lines.

As far as school goes, I was just admitted to the accounting PhD program at Syracuse University and will be starting in the fall. I'll be in the area between 4 and 5 years to get through the program.

ComaD

I wasn't quite clear on if I would be required to get a New York license and register my car there. I know there is a student exemption, but I'm not certain if it applies to PhD students due to the very different nature of the program and being semi-employed by the university. The other issue is my girlfriend/finance is probably going to need to establish residency for school. I guess I need to do more research on that side of things.

dustinbart

Hey, I live about 3hrs away over in ma. My brother lives over in ny and from the condition of his cars youd think they slap a sticker on any pos. But i guess it depends in the shop. The only things on his car thay were ever looked at was ebrake and lights and he literally has pannels and bumpers held on by duct tape and rust holes straight through the floor pans. Also no smog, compaired to ma inspection ny is very lax. You can black your windows out and have straight pipe no prob. BUT at the same time the cops will pull you over for any and everything. I was pulled over 3 times in 2 days a few monthes back...twice for having my fog lights on at night in clear condition (my headlights are pretty dim and can br hard to see sometimes) and then i was pulled over for doing 52 in a 45....just my 2 cents. If you have any problems or wanna cruise sometime hit me up, im always down for the cause.
Dustin

I live a half hour north of Binghamton... which is about an hour from Syracuse. I agree with the no one knows what they're looking at. I have a 2nd gen JDM motor in my car with no cats. Have never had a problem getting it inspected. Definitely hit me up when you get settled. I go to Syracuse a few times here & there to hit up the mall & visit friends, etc. I'm always up for chilling with alltrac people & doing photshoots. And if you come to Binghamton ever, I'll introduce you to the scene here & we'll hang out at the local spots.

ComaD

Reviving an old topic as I count down to my cross country drive (leaving 8/2 for NY).

From what I've found, it doesn't look like New York does a tail pipe test on non-OBD2 cars, so I should be ok if I have to register there at some point.

New question: I'm going to be looking for a shop to install metal fuel lines and also for a shop that can powder coat my ghastly gold wheels. Does anyone have suggestions in the Syracuse area? I've taken to only using Toyota for maintenance and repairs, so I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations on the service departments in the area as well. I'll have a garage at my place there, so I'll at least be able to take care of the basics myself.

ComaD

Having never had to do emissions on the car, I've never really put much thought into the overall legality of having a cat (although it makes a lot of sense). One more thing to add to the list. I bought the car without it installed, but I have the stock one in a box. Any recommendations on an inline high flow cat?

I've been meaning to do some work on the exhaust, but haven't gotten around to it so far. I'd rather it not sound like a 2500 pound bumble bee anymore...

underscore

Mafix":1hy145uu said:
you do realize that a lack of converter is a FEDERAL offense. it's illegal in EVERY state.

Test pipe time! Do they actually do inspections in every state?

ComaD

Most of Idaho doesn't do safety or emissions. You just pay your $30 online and they mail you stickers. Utah requires safety but emissions is county by county with a visual and tailpipe test. I worked at a shop in Utah years ago and they had no idea what they were looking for on the visual, they just plugged it in or put a probe in the pipe and did the test. They were concerned more about lights, aftermarket truck lifts, and brake pads than anything else.

Mafix

underscore":1vo7dbs3 said:
Mafix":1vo7dbs3 said:
you do realize that a lack of converter is a FEDERAL offense. it's illegal in EVERY state.

Test pipe time! Do they actually do inspections in every state?
i am a md inspector. i don't do emissions but i do the initial inspection to allow registration. i can tell you 95% of cars i inspect fail (all kinds of reasons).

mx6er2587

Mafix":23zb1gcs said:

Actually I believe its the act of removing a converter that is the offense. Simply not having one is a grey area in areas that don't inspect

Mafix

mx6er2587":2lt5vlqk said:
Mafix":2lt5vlqk said:

Actually I believe its the act of removing a converter that is the offense. Simply not having one is a grey area in areas that don't inspect
good luck getting away with that. lol.
seriously they can burn you hard for not having one. 25000 dollars or 5 years. per converter. (mustangs have 4 stock, cali smog 4th gens have 2, ect)