Well, so far the patched area is holding well - but only to see other leaks spring up from what appears to be behind the block.
I guess it's not much of a surprise if the original damage is truly attributed to freezing/expansion.
In a last ditch act of desperation, I added some of that Bars stop-leak. I know, I know...prob a bad idea. But at this point, I already knew the block was shot. My radiator is an aftermarket one that doesn't look long for this world. What's left? The head and heater core - the head can always be tanked. The heater core, well, will see if this stuff affects it much. I don't drive the car in the winter anyway - as soon as salt hits the road, the car stays indoors.
At any rate, I managed to get the car to the OC All Wheel Drive meet with a few other fellow members (literally hit the road 6 hours after I added this stuff). Despite the heat, the ol girl made it there no problems. It wasn't until I made it back to Annapolis that I ran into an overheating issue. About 1 gal of coolant had pushed out the reservoir overflow. Fortunately, it was a good stopping point for dinner anyway. And even more fortunate, after topping back off with coolant (a shout out to Eric and Willy for jumping in to help), the trac made it the rest of the way to Mt Airy without issue.
Not positive why I lost the coolant. Prob didn't help that I pressed my luck with my driving habits on the way back (no thanks to Willy and Eric...
). But all is well - she's safe n sound in the garage (still no leaks!). I'll likely limp along, keeping my drives local for the summer. In the meantime, I'll source a decent shortblock and have the machine shop go over it. Maybe I'll pull the head from the old MR2 GenII so I can have a full longblock on the stand before I start transferring components.
If anything, my baby is going to come out looking even cleaner than it already does. That engine bay is gonna be immaculate.