Finally bought an alltrac! Long time waiting.

Bori

scandinavian link":36zff2s9 said:
Congrats on a great score. I remember seeing that on the marketplace as well. Really wished I had a way to transport, but super glad it went to a deserving home! Best of luck!
Thanks bro! Just got it into my garage yesterday. It's missing a lot of parts :doh: Hope it won't take forever to find some of them.

simple

Just post the parts you need (here and ugh Facebook) and li bet you'll get them. I've got a good stash

Looking forward to seeing your progress - wish I had some old parts laying around. Of course, in my mind I'll still get another st165...but honestly that's probably unlikely at this point. I'll have to live vicariously.

Bori

simple":2282msm0 said:
Just post the parts you need (here and ugh Facebook) and li bet you'll get them. I've got a good stash

Well, so far I need a gas tank and driveshaft. Those are gone :doh: hoses and wiring all over the place. :twisted:

Bori

scandinavian link":23wk3ge8 said:
Looking forward to seeing your progress - wish I had some old parts laying around. Of course, in my mind I'll still get another st165...but honestly that's probably unlikely at this point. I'll have to live vicariously.

Honestly I was close to giving up on getting one but I'm happy I pulled the trigger on this. You should keep looking. .

Bori":16ss8osr said:
Honestly I was close to giving up on getting one but I'm happy I pulled the trigger on this. You should keep looking. .

You're probably right - patience is required when looking for All-Tracs. That was true when I got my old one, it's just even more true now. Last year I had a golden opportunity that I let slip away (for smart reasons...but still), and that is a little discouraging. But you're right...you never know when one might come along! Admittedly I've been toying with the idea of an older WRX. It's hard to believe the bugeyes are older now than my first st165 was when I had it in the early '00s. :shock:

Hope you post up pictures & a progress thread, it's always fun to see a neglected Celica saved and given the care it deserves!

Bori

I've been trying for years but there was always some reason why I couldn't get at that moment. It was either too far or too much money or too much work or I was too slow and someone beat me to it. Honestly my wife convinced me. She said she was tired of me saying that I'm buying one and yelled at me to just do it :D :D
Patience is definitely needed.

Paulytunes

scandinavian link":2zlp91zs said:
Admittedly I've been toying with the idea of an older WRX. It's hard to believe the bugeyes are older now than my first st165 was when I had it in the early '00s. :shock:

I've had two bugeyes. Sedan (bought new in February of 2002), and a wagon that I bought at about 9 years old because I missed my old one too much after selling it.

If you are seriously looking at WRXs, make sure you get one that hasn't done time in any of the rust belt states during the winter. My wagon did time in Massachusetts and Western PA, and the body cancer was horrible, despite only having 73,000 miles. Once I hit about 127,000 miles, it was no longer a feasible daily driver, and I ended up making one of my poorest automotive decisions and traded in on a Ford Focus.

Also, it will likely be impossible to find one that hasn't been modded in some way in it's lifespan, but if you can find that unicorn (rust free and stock), that would be the one to buy. They are great cars, but nowhere near as good looking as the ST185. I think I recall reading a post on NASIOC from a member that had an Alltrac and a WRX, and it was a good read. The post described the differences in the drivetrain between the Toyota and the Subaru, and if I recall correctly, the Alltrac components were more robust and seemed to be heavier. Not sure if that was due to improvements in technology or if the Alltrac was more purposefully built in the event that the owner wanted to seriously rally their stock car.

I've also toyed with the idea of trying to either get an older '93 to '01 Impreza and build it into a WRX or STi, but that likely would turn into a money pit and test my wife's patience to a point beyond tolerable. There's only so much leeway that I can get with a father-son bonding experience through a project/classic car. ;)

Paulytunes

scandinavian link":ecy2lyph said:
Admittedly I've been toying with the idea of an older WRX. It's hard to believe the bugeyes are older now than my first st165 was when I had it in the early '00s. :shock:

I've had two bugeyes. Sedan (bought new in February of 2002), and a wagon that I bought at about 9 years old because I missed my old one too much after selling it.

If you are seriously looking at WRXs, make sure you get one that hasn't done time in any of the rust belt states during the winter. My wagon did time in Massachusetts and Western PA, and the body cancer was horrible, despite only having 73,000 miles. Once I hit about 127,000 miles, it was no longer a feasible daily driver, and I ended up making one of my poorest automotive decisions and traded in on a Ford Focus.

Also, it will likely be impossible to find one that hasn't been modded in some way in it's lifespan, but if you can find that unicorn (rust free and stock), that would be the one to buy. They are great cars, but nowhere near as good looking as the ST185. I think I recall reading a post on NASIOC from a member that had an Alltrac and a WRX, and it was a good read. The post described the differences in the drivetrain between the Toyota and the Subaru, and if I recall correctly, the Alltrac components were more robust and seemed to be heavier. Not sure if that was due to improvements in technology or if the Alltrac was more purposefully built in the event that the owner wanted to seriously rally their stock car.

I've also toyed with the idea of trying to either get an older '93 to '01 Impreza and build it into a WRX or STi, but that likely would turn into a money pit and test my wife's patience to a point beyond tolerable. There's only so much leeway that I can get with a father-son bonding experience through a project/classic car. ;)

88gt4DE

Bori":2ybzpwoq said:
scandinavian link":2ybzpwoq said:
Congrats on a great score. I remember seeing that on the marketplace as well. Really wished I had a way to transport, but super glad it went to a deserving home! Best of luck!
Thanks bro! Just got it into my garage yesterday. It's missing a lot of parts :doh: Hope it won't take forever to find some of them.

Post on parts wanted and Facebook ST162 / 165 parts page. we may have some of the stuff. Gas tank and driveshaft are two hard ones but there are plenty of part outs going on.

88gt4DE

Bori":1djfmegs said:
88gt4DE":1djfmegs said:
Bori":1djfmegs said:
Thanks definitely checking that out. Missing the MAF too so let's see. 8)

:doh: Wow 3 hard ones to get.

Lol. Should I just give up hope? :p

Absolutely not ! I wish I knew when it was going threw my state. I'm sure it went right by me on 95. I would have stood and saluted as it went by :rofl:

simple

Bori":2d3rd0bn said:
Thanks definitely checking that out. Missing the MAF too so let's see. 8)
Is the MAF specific to the car? Ive seen plenty old Toyotas at my junkyards