New member/owner from the UK and a couple of questions

st185.rc

Hello, earlier this year I became an owner of a red 1991 Celica GT-Four RC that was originally sold in Japan and then imported to the UK about 20 years ago. Love the car - it was my childhood dream :)

Have couple of questions:
1) On cold engine gear shifts are nice and smooth, however when the engine warms up quite often it gets difficult to get it out of gear, especially first 3 gears. Checked the transmission oil level and it is ok and looks quite clean. Also bled the clutch and greased the gear shift linkages on the gearbox. The problem is still there. What could be the reason?

2) There is an oil leak on the cambelt side of the engine. Not sure exactly but seems to be something other that the rocker cover. Are there common leaks on that side of he engine?

3) TVIS actuator doesn't seem to be moving when rpms go above 4200. Is there a way to check TVIS whilst on the car? Doesn't seem to be enough space to get my hand down there...

Thanks a lot for your help in advance

underscore

For #1, perhaps the heat is making something expand to where things are binding. Is it only hard to get out of gear, or into the next gear as well?

st185.rc

underscore":3vr47hav said:
For #1, perhaps the heat is making something expand to where things are binding. Is it only hard to get out of gear, or into the next gear as well?
Only getting out of gear.

Tippo

skv_st185":uedx50xz said:
underscore":uedx50xz said:
Only getting out of gear.

Doesn't hurt swapping the fluid for RedLine GL-5 75w90 if not already done so. That worked wonders on my shifting. Just a thought before tearing stuff apart.

FC Zach

I'm very happy I opened this topic. . I also had a difficult time getting out of gear (for me it was fifth and reverse) on a warm engine, almost left me stranded the first time it happened and I've since stopped driving it. I have been planning to pull the engine/trans and investigate further but sadly I have been dragging my feet. Although I considered draining the AmsOil SeverGear to try something else but without high hopes. . . Hearing positive results for others has me wanting to give it a shot.

FC Zach":32yjqiah said:
#2 Most likely cam seals and or oil pump o-ring
Could also be a crankshaft oil seal or an oil pan seal leak at the front of the engine.

Best to look from top down though. These engines often have valve cover leaks on the firewall side that allows oil to come down the backside of the engine at the front and make that area wet with oil. Valve cover leaks are very common on these engines.

st185.rc

Tippo":3ozcoims said:
Doesn't hurt swapping the fluid for RedLine GL-5 75w90 if not already done so. That worked wonders on my shifting. Just a thought before tearing stuff apart.

Thanks for the advice. Have you used RedLine 75w90 NS or normal 75w90?

For me personally, I've used the Red Line 75W-90 API GL-5+ Hypoid Gear Oil on the rear differentials of both of my son's ST185's.

But for the quadruple case (transmission, center differential, front differential, and transfer), I've only used Toyota Gear Lube Super GL-5 75W-90. My understanding is the Red Line 75w90 NS is perfectly fine for this application, and I believe many in this forum use that. But for me, I've only opted to use what Toyota originally put in it. You should be able to still get this product from Toyota (P/N 08885-02106), but it is rather expensive (something like $30/liter), and you need 5.2 liters for this application.