st205 possibility?

CAgeetee4

Hey everyone, i'm knew to the forum and i own a '95 celica st. I just blew the engine so i am taking the oppurtunity to swap in a new one. i would love to throw a 3sgte (st205) motor in there but i've been reading about what a pain it really is, and it seems more logical to use a st185 (a little easier to find as well). i need some advice! what can i do to put power into my poor car without TOO much cost and labor!

theUNYTEDone

first of all, the ST205 is the 6th gen...and an ST185 is 5th gen. the 3sgte is the engine code for the ST185. haven't had my AT for very long, but i love it. and yes, if you have the oppurtunity (as well as the funds) i fully advise you to swap in a 3sgte!

3sgtenavyman

theUNYTEDone":6uhpnpsf said:
first of all, the ST205 is the 6th gen...and an ST185 is 5th gen. the 3sgte is the engine code for the ST185. haven't had my AT for very long, but i love it. and yes, if you have the oppurtunity (as well as the funds) i fully advise you to swap in a 3sgte!

And 3sgte is the engine code for the st165 also, allmost the samething

jotarokun

The 3sgte is the engine that is in the turbo MR2's and AT's.
ST165 recevied 1st revision.
ST185 received 2nd revision
ST205 received 3rd revision.

I would consider getting a ST205 front clip, and putting that baby in there. Or, just look for an ST185. Try searching with key words "Engine swap, ST205, front clip" etc...

If you need a source for purchasing a front clip, most people reccomend Josh at Chico Race works (www.chicoraceworks.com). I don't know what he'll do about shipping, but it's always worth it to ask.

Where are you located? I'm guessing Cali.... or Canada...?

toayoztan

While a 205 swap is nice, i would say someone who is fairly new to the 3sgte may want to stick with the 185 swap.

I would go with the 185 swap if i were you. We'd not only to be able to help you with our vast amount of knowledge of the 1st/2nd gen 3sgte, but we can help you with spare parts a lot more than trying to source up 205 parts from us. 205 will cost more money too. the 185 is more the budget swap of 3sgte (though we all know the 3sgte can still kick the shit out of our pockets and wallets lol).

Bryan

jotarokun

toayoztan":1jp6uunh said:
i would say someone who is fairly new to the 3sgte may want to stick with the 185 swap.

I guess so, but I'm not sure what the laws are like where you're at. In Cali, the engine needs to be either same year or newer than the vehicle that it's being swapped into, which is why I'm saying if you want to swap, the only option would be the ST205 engine. But, then again, it all depends on where you're at.

3sgtenavyman

toayoztan":2nxwaxuq said:
While a 205 swap is nice, i would say someone who is fairly new to the 3sgte may want to stick with the 185 swap.

I would go with the 185 swap if i were you. We'd not only to be able to help you with our vast amount of knowledge of the 1st/2nd gen 3sgte, but we can help you with spare parts a lot more than trying to source up 205 parts from us. 205 will cost more money too. the 185 is more the budget swap of 3sgte (though we all know the 3sgte can still kick the shit out of our pockets and wallets lol).

Bryan

dido on that

A

Anonymous

jotarokun":3ut7s8jx said:
toayoztan":3ut7s8jx said:
i would say someone who is fairly new to the 3sgte may want to stick with the 185 swap.

I guess so, but I'm not sure what the laws are like where you're at. In Cali, the engine needs to be either same year or newer than the vehicle that it's being swapped into, which is why I'm saying if you want to swap, the only option would be the ST205 engine. But, then again, it all depends on where you're at.

He's right about the same year engine in cali; but since your car is a 1995 you could still do a st185 swap (aka: 2nd gen 3sgte swap) so the st205 clip is not needed. Just make sure to mention that it's a 1995 MR Turbo when getting it certified.