Air/ Fuel ratio gauge

88alltracohio

If I get the digital AutoMeter NV air fuel ratio gauge (not the wideband one,) will I have to get the "2244 Oxygen Sensor Kit"? Or will the gauge work on AT's w/o the oxygen sensor kit?

Thanks,

theUNYTEDone

ones from the RX7 work well, according to some on the board.
i had a 3g pod for A pillar that came with my car when i bought it (lucky me)...

gt4tified

The gauge will work with any stock O2 sensor but the one that autometer sells (2244) they claim that it is more accurate than stock. :shrug:

I would say if the BOSCH O2 sensor is cheaper than the autometer and you feel like upgrading from stock (although our stock sensor is claimed to be pretty accurate, sturdy and responsive) then get that instead.

db

88alltracohio":213nqw69 said:
thanks,

i dont have like 300 for a wideband though :(

A narrowband O2 unit is next to useless though. If you can't afford a wideband, buy something else. EGT, Oil pressure, oil temp, etc.

88alltracohio

alright thanks, i will.... b/c i read that article off the link on the front page about a/f ratio gauges and how inaccurate they can be

theUNYTEDone

not to thread jack, but when i turn my car on...there two red lights ALL the way on the lean side of the AFR gauge (narrowband)...then as soon as my car is running they go away...why is this?

gpmarzan

theUNYTEDone":3eqe499w said:
not to thread jack, but when i turn my car on...there two red lights ALL the way on the lean side of the AFR gauge (narrowband)...then as soon as my car is running they go away...why is this?
your display show is still in the backstage warming up for the event. :twisted: :p

Gary

FACT about A/F gauge:

- An A/F gauge is basically a voltmeter.
- It reads value between 0-1 volt.
Lean = .050 to .249 volt
Rich = .750 to 1 volt
Between these range the mixture is neither lean nor rich.
- A narrowband gauge/sensor can't tell you a specific value.
- In closed loop, it will keep bouncing back and forth between lean and rich because the ECU adjusts the fuel continuously and the output of O2 sensor is non-linear and very sensitive at stoichiometric A/F ratio
- When the ECU goes into open loop, it will dump the fuel. That's why it will read rich when you go WOT.
- An O2 sensor will not give a correct reading when it's cold.
- A narrow band gauge is USELESS in tuning.