Biggest newb question ever

88alltracohio

Could someone school me on the difference between widebody and narrowbody. Like models, years, ect. I've already tried the search and didn't come up w/ much. And before you try and get smart with me I realize narrowbody is narrowier than the widebody. But what's different, is it wheelbase? Just the fenders? Or is the actual whole car, like floor, interior, hood and trunk? Also, how much more does a widebody weigh?

Thanks,
James

___Scott___

88alltracohio":28p3co4f said:
Could someone school me on the difference between widebody and narrowbody.
For starters, there is no "narrowbody." There is a normal body and a wide body.

smog7

___Scott___":3gpvowwr said:
88alltracohio":3gpvowwr said:

I dont think that was very helpful. 90-93 alltracs and gts were widebody, not sure about the rest.

GT4RC

___Scott___":25uw8rrp said:
88alltracohio":25uw8rrp said:
haha, you smartass
pretty sure its just fenders

theUNYTEDone

yup, just the fenders.
i'm sure the US never got the uh...regular bodied alltrac :oops: , but japan's had them for sure...anyone know why they were so?

turbo4wd

88alltracohio":1fbxg8d1 said:
Could someone school me on the difference between widebody and narrowbody. Like models, years, ect. I've already tried the search and didn't come up w/ much. And before you try and get smart with me I realize narrowbody is narrowier than the widebody. But what's different, is it wheelbase? Just the fenders? Or is the actual whole car, like floor, interior, hood and trunk? Also, how much more does a widebody weigh?

Thanks,
James

For the US market, the 5th gens came as narrow body, or "normal body" for the ST and GT trims. The GT-S and Alltracs came only as a "wide body" configuration. All of this refers only to the width of the front & rear fenders.

There was nothing different in terms of the wheelbase. The only differences in the interiors would be between the coupe, the hatchback, and the Alltrac which even though the Alltrac was also a hatch, it had some minor differences from the GT-S hatch with the interior sheetmetal due to the differences in things like drivetrain, suspension, fuel tank, spare tire, system-10 stereo, etc..

The Japanese market offered both narrow and wide body configurations on their GT-Fours and the reason for this was due to a tax that was applied to vehicles that exceeded a certain width. I'm pretty sure theyve done away with this tax since then..

eddie_gt4

turbo4wd":2t3k6etd said:
There was nothing different in terms of the wheelbase
yes, the wheelbase is the same for all mk.5 Celicas - 2525 mm
however, according to the owner's manual, normal-body (coupe & liftback) has a 1465 mm front track and a 1430 rear track, and wide-body has a 1475 mm front track and a 1440 mm rear track

Toxygene

turbo4wd":lvh78zqu said:
88alltracohio":lvh78zqu said:

Thanks,
James

For the US market, the 5th gens came as narrow body, or "normal body" for the ST and GT trims. The GT-S and Alltracs came only as a "wide body" configuration. All of this refers only to the width of the front & rear fenders.

There was nothing different in terms of the wheelbase. The only differences in the interiors would be between the coupe, the hatchback, and the Alltrac which even though the Alltrac was also a hatch, it had some minor differences from the GT-S hatch with the interior sheetmetal due to the differences in things like drivetrain, suspension, fuel tank, spare tire, system-10 stereo, etc..

The Japanese market offered both narrow and wide body configurations on their GT-Fours and the reason for this was due to a tax that was applied to vehicles that exceeded a certain width. I'm pretty sure theyve done away with this tax since then..

I thought the only difference between the GT-S and the AllTrac was the trunk area. I had heard that some GT-S's came with System 10, is that wrong?

celicat93

Toxygene":3n1gux42 said:
I thought the only difference between the GT-S and the AllTrac was the trunk area. I had heard that some GT-S's came with System 10, is that wrong?

When I was first looking at Celica's, before I knew what an All-Trac was, I test drove a GTS with System 10. So yes, I can affirm that they came with it.

I can't say for sure, but I would say there has to be a difference in the hatch area sheet metal between the GTS and All-Trac. You'll notice on the AT that the fuel tank kind of sticks out a bit from below? That's because it had to be moved back to accommodate the rear drive train, thus moving the spare tire higher, etc. All of these things are going to necessitate modifications in the design of the housings.

GT4RC

etantshi":2be5hcq2 said:
In addition there are triangle braces on the rear strut towers of the all trac, the GTS does not have these.
PICT0012.jpg

PICT0021.jpg

These are pics of my gutted GTS. Hope it helps.