Finally leak free, upgrades?

timchase

I just got my All-Trac back from the shop after replacing virtually every gasket, all the pumps, axles and fluids. The car runs beautifully, but now I am thinking of doing two minor upgrades.

This car is currently bone stock and I am considering putting on a K&N Airfilter that I found at their web site and an HKS Cat Back exhaust system.

The car currently is running the stock exhaust system and factory air box.

Has this upgrade significantly improved performance and part two: how loud are these parts?

Any help, much appreciated!

Denver_whiteST185

i personally think my intake sounds cool. ive got an MR2 Apexi power intake, however it won't fit in an alltrac without an straight intake tube, which also means you have to move the battery and other stuff. Im not sure if the K&N intake will fit though (your talking about a cone filter right? not the drop in panel filter). if your talking about the panel filter, you won't notice a sound change.

the exhaust also depends on which HKS you find. i have a 2.5" catback, which pretty much sounds stock, but is a little lower. its discontinued though. i have never heard the 3" HKS system, but ive heard the 3" aussie and the 3" blitz nur-spec, and both were louder, but not too bad. i didn't hear them next to each other, so i couldn't tell you which of the two were louder. there is a video on youtube of an alltrac with an HKS exhaust if you search around.

timchase

The one I found was on hksusa.com. It is a 75 mm piping with a 125 inch tip which basically converts to a 3 in pipe and a 5 inch tip.

I am going to need to replace the stock exhaust at some point in any event as it is neary 18 years old.

I will pick it up and see how it goes.

Thanks for the tip on the intake. I take it the battery would need to be moved to the rear hatch, not sure I want to give up the storage space as this will soon be my daily driver.

smog7

glad to hear that you got all the maintenance done first. as for mods, look into a custom 3in full exhaust as well...

db

I'd also recommend a TWM short shifter, especially if you have a 90-91. Feels much better than the old truck shifter.

Denver_whiteST185

timchase":28mabfp8 said:
The one I found was on hksusa.com. It is a 75 mm piping with a 125 inch tip which basically converts to a 3 in pipe and a 5 inch tip.

I am going to need to replace the stock exhaust at some point in any event as it is neary 18 years old.

I will pick it up and see how it goes.

Thanks for the tip on the intake. I take it the battery would need to be moved to the rear hatch, not sure I want to give up the storage space as this will soon be my daily driver.

yeah, thats the 3" hks "silent power" exhaust. as i said, mine is discontinued, so you'd only find it second hand. depending on the price, you might want to look into a custom 3" exhaust from the downpipe back. there is a shop in denver called street concepts, and im going to have them build a midpipe with a high flow cat for me once the car is 100%, since i already have a 3" downpipe and a 2.5" catback.

the battery doesn't take up much space. i have an optima redtop with bottom mount hold-down from ebay. its in the passenger side corner, and in reality, it doesn't take that much space. however, unless you have a hook up on materials, it will be kinda expensive. i got my entire relocation wiring and terminals for $20 from a guy i know in the springs, and a local guy who worked for interstate batteries got me a brand new optima for $100. i think the bottom hold down was around $60ish off ebay. it took a couple hours to run the wires since i ran them under the carpet in a way that no one could see them and i had to drill 3 small holes to mount the battery hold down. if you want, you could mount it a number of other places, if the battery is small enough, but considering how cold it can get in Colorado, and that its your daily driver, i wouldn't recommend a mini battery.

a straight intake is really easy once you get the battery out of the way. get a 3" peice of aluminum with two bungs welded on for the idle air and the PCV hoses. i would get them welded as close together at the center of the pipe as possible since you'll have to cut the pipe to the length you need, get a 2 3/4" - 3" coupler, a 3"-3" coupler and whatever cone intake you want that is adapted for the stock AFM (K&N, apexi, blitz, HKS, etc.). i like the apexi because its a dry element.

Hotrodhendrix

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... n%26sa%3DN

This is what im going with for my relocation. Its really easy to do and gives you space for your straight intake.

For the straight intake you can purchase a 3" aluminum tube off the internet and 1/2 aluminum tube for the bungs. I went with 6 inches long on the 3" tube and about an inch on the bungs. The bungs are about 1 inch from each other from the center. I was charged 40 for hili ark welding and about 40 for the aluminum tubes but you can get the thinner ones cheaper than that.

==> Am I the only one who uses the power intake with the stock tubing?

You are not, its a close fit but mine slips in. Havent tried using the shield
from the MR2 kit (yet)

Also have Aussie DP, MP with hi flow cat and HKS Hiper cat back, quiet at
idle, blows pigeons out of their nests when boosting in underpasses :)

timchase

Really appreciate all of the help. THis is by far the best forum I have ever been on.

I will look into the Apexi element and also really appreciate the TWM short shift kit idea. I had not seen one of those, but had hoped one was available.