Newbie need help. Just bought a 90 alltrac

sharky

Car is from OHIO. I lived in California. I was told that there's a value leak so can't pass smog. Car has other problems but the main issue is to get it to pass smog. Therefore, i'm unable to register it. I need help. If i decided to go with new motor....is it good to go with engine from ebay...from Canada/Jdm. Etc. What do you guys recommend i do in order to get this car register. NEED HELP> :shrug:

Hotrodhendrix

You can import one but will have to use your USDM head with the EGR system or it will not pass. Figure out what is exactly wrong with it and replace/ fix it. Engine replacment should be your last option.

jlspec

List your problems so we might be able to tell you what the issue is. When ever buying a car, I always recommened checking the timming and doing a complete tune up even if the seller said he/she has already done it.

A vacuum leak should not be a big deal to find. I am assuming that if
you dont notice it when the engine is idling that it is between the air filter and
the throttle body. You have about 4 hoses to check, the one that likes to
crack is the hose to the turbo, it like to split where it meets the turbo. Take
the hoses off (remove the intercooler) and see if any are cracked and replace them. My 2 cents ...