Seattle Noob

helipilot77

hey guys, brand new to the world of All-Trac's but not to Toyota's. I currently drive a 1987 Toyota 4Runner highly modified, with all the optional equipment and some that wasn't available, like the JDM 3.0 turbo Diesel I swapped in it.
Anyways, I am starting to get very interested in the world of All-Tracs and figured I should register since I have been viewing everyone's post as a guest for awhile.
I am starting to casually search for a good condition 1988-92 Toyota Corolla Wagon All-Trac SR5 to add to my stable.
I'm happy to be here, and hope that I can contribute something.

3s_woob

Welcome! Good luck in your search for a good condition alltrac corolla. The hard part on your search is good condition. :D j/k I've actually seen a few clean ones locally.

But check out the nw thread for local meets and I think there are a AT-corolla owners on PSTOC.ORG.

killemalltrac

Welcome to the site fellow NWer. There was a really nice corolla AT down here a couple months ago for 1300. I'm always on the lookout so if I see one I'll let you know.

helipilot77

Oh man thanks for helping my search. That will improve my chances of finding a nice one. There is one a block from my house In someone's backyard. I wonder if it even runs? Body looks straight and rust free. I may go inquire.

helipilot77

It is a DX, and I would like to hold out for an SR5. If I can't find a nice SR5 I will go inquire about it. until then it doesn't appear to be going anywhere.

helipilot77

The SR5 model is the fully loaded one with moon roof and power everything. it also has the rear speakers with parcel tray.

helipilot77

Well I have been away for a loooooong time like 3 years. I have still been casually looking for a clean AT. I finally convinced my wife. :notworthy: I had to commit to selling off a few other hobbies and clear out some of the parts I have in the garage for my 4Runner but it will all be worth it. I have found an extremely clean Camry all-trac with a bad motor for a mere $500. Even though the price is only $500 my wife is requiring me to raise $2500 from alternative sources (not my daily job) because she knows that is what I am likely to spend on it. I am planning a 3SGE swap for it. It is an automatic and I know they are plagued with a weak reverse gear but I will address that when it becomes a problem. Not looking to build anything crazy, just a nice DD with decent power. I have done a little research without any luck. Could someone point me in the right direction of where I could find a wiring diagram for the beams motor and possible a favorite and informative build thread of a similar type. Thanks Toyota wizards

helipilot77

here she is

9166C0E6-8D38-4DBA-AFC0-0F0C7908CFF2.jpg

just kidding! here she is:

9959c590-396b-4dfb-8621-e3c8d8c3f2d4.jpg

here is the Camry I am planning to pick up.

8edb5f3e-973f-4cc7-ae1c-86dd8cf30dcd.png

You should get ahold of Charlie A.K.A. phattyduck he's done a beams swap into one and helped me get the wiring info I need to do the 215 swap into mine. He has also done a 205 swap so he has a lot of experience with them. I think if your going to swap you might as well go for a 3sgte and a manual trans just my opinion. I'm sure its harder to swap to a manual but pretty much everything else is straightforward.
Charlie has a couple of lengthy threads here on his swaps; looking through those is a must!

helipilot77

Thanks for the suggestion. I have watched his YouTube videos. He certainly does clean work. I considered the 3S-gte but I think I want a N/A motor in this one
a) for simplicity and
b) for low end torque and drivability.
Nothing against the turbo motor I know it makes great power but I have a turbo in my truck for when I want to fiddle with a turbo.
However I am considering a manual swap. I did it on my 4-runner and it was a pretty easy thing to do. What transmission should I use? Is the one out of the 205 the cats meow or are they all pretty much the same with slightly different ratios? I know that they have a viscous coupling which probably would work pretty good. I like the idea of a V.C. but I also like the center diff lock in the Camry. Did all the 205's come with a rear Torsen diff or was it rare even among the 205's?

I think the 205 has better synchros but I might be remembering incorrectly. All 205 had an LSD rear. I know the gearing is different between 205 and 185 but I cannot remember what the difference is off the top of my head. I think the info is on this site for the gearing or someone else can chime in and clear things up a bit.

helipilot77

93cc":q1crwma1 said:
there was this swap/build in the Seattle area

viewtopic.php?t=24344

the owner from the post doesnt owen it any longer but last I heard it was still around the area

Yeah that's a nice build! Kinda what I'm going for; a sleeper. Except I am am pretty decided on the naturally aspirated version for the quick throttle response and installation simplicity. Thanks for digging that thread up.