New Member from Bend Oregon

Dave91alltrac

Hello all,
I just joined today as I purchased a 91 All Trac here in Bend. I'll add a couple pics if I can figure out how to do it, and I'd love feedback from anyone, and would love to connect with someone local. This All trac is in good shape. Straight body, but horrible paint. It is also not currently running (I can start it by bypassing the clutch switch) as the clutch is not engaging. It has 65,680 miles and the interior looks new. The head unit of the car was removed, but it's in the car. I don't imagine anyone has had any luck getting all 10 speakers hooked up into a new head unit, but I'd love to put a new system in and take advantage of the great speakers already in the car. I'll re-paint as I can afford it, but right now, I'm trying to feather out the clear coat and just protect it as best I can.

I sold these units brand new in 1991 when I was selling cars and fell in love with them. I had to wait til' I was older to actually get one. I'm planning on babying this one and keeping it stock except for maybe new wheels and a stereo.
Thanks all! Best to you!

Welcome man! Glad to have another Oregon 185 :D Don't know of any others in central Oregon but there are a few in the Portland/Vancouver area. That's pretty cool that you were a salesman back then for these cars!

FC Zach

:shock: The home of the last remaining BLOCKBUSTER! ! LOL Welcome!

Dave91alltrac":24bki9mt said:
It is also not currently running (I can start it by bypassing the clutch switch) as the clutch is not engaging.

I may be misinterpreting this but from reading that my first guess was that the rubber/plastic pad for the switch deteriorated and most likely fell off. This isn't an AllTrac or even my car. . just a pic I found on the internet of this common issue a lot of cars have. In this pic you can see that pennies were glued in place of the pad. It looks ghetto but I've done this to both my cars and the coins are still there :)
42872696365_29e6729fbd_o.png

Dave91alltrac":24bki9mt said:
The head unit of the car was removed, but it's in the car. I don't imagine anyone has had any luck getting all 10 speakers hooked up into a new head unit, but I'd love to put a new system in and take advantage of the great speakers already in the car.

I did. . (I'm no audio guy, so I don't know any better in case it's frowned upon) I put the front dash/door/tweets for each side on their respective channel. So that's essentially two speakers (I don't count the tweets) per channel in the front. Probably not the best but it works for me :)

Dave91alltrac

Thanks folks! Update on my car. It's up and running. Bled the Master, slave, slight movement. Did it again and the clutch is working. Ordered new master and slave and will install in a few days. Both of my subs speakers are blown. I'll read the threads and replace them and install a new stereo. The local Best Buy actually has a harness adapter that will connect it right up. I was shocked.

AC was not working. Adapters installed, bled out, added two cans of the new 134 refrigerant and surprise! It works!! Cold as winter! I have to set it to about 75 to be comfortable on a 100 degree day. YES!!!

Noise coming from the rear end. Seems to be the left strut. As this car was originally from Maine, both rears are leaking and the fronts are not in the best shape. Ordered struts and replacing them on Friday.

Finally, I can't find anyone in Bend to affordably paint the car. $7500 was the cheapest bid. I may just try and stop the clear coat from coming off and hold off until I get a reasonable bid. I'd like to just shoot the hood, top and back and blend it down as the sides of the car aren't bad. Anyone know someone in Central Oregon that can do this?

BTW, LOVE the power in this little guy. My 19 year old son was exhilirated when we took a country road drive. :) Turbo works beaufifully!

~Dave

underscore

FC Zach":273xnkbs said:
I may be misinterpreting this but from reading that my first guess was that the rubber/plastic pad for the switch deteriorated and most likely fell off. This isn't an AllTrac or even my car. . just a pic I found on the internet of this common issue a lot of cars have. In this pic you can see that pennies were glued in place of the pad. It looks ghetto but I've done this to both my cars and the coins are still there :)
42872696365_29e6729fbd_o.png

Why not just adjust the switch so it's closer to the pedal? Loosen off the nut there and turn the switch til it's in place, then tighten the nut.

FC Zach

underscore":1cpckczh said:
Why not just adjust the switch so it's closer to the pedal? Loosen off the nut there and turn the switch til it's in place, then tighten the nut.

Not sure I'm 100% following but there is a hole that those pennies are covering (where a rubber/plastic pad once was) and regardless of where the switch is adjusted, it will not be cycled if the hole is open to the switch.

FC Zach

Dave91alltrac":11yuyrad said:
Both of my subs speakers are blown. I'll read the threads and replace them and install a new stereo. The local Best Buy actually has a harness adapter that will connect it right up. I was shocked.

That's awesome that your radio harness connectors are still there, it a baffles me when people cut them off without hesitation. . It's not like they are unobtainable or expensive. Mine were chopped off so I went to radioshack and got universal ~12pin connectors to have something there for future radio work.

Dave91alltrac":11yuyrad said:
AC was not working. Adapters installed, bled out, added two cans of the new 134 refrigerant and surprise! It works!! Cold as winter! I have to set it to about 75 to be comfortable on a 100 degree day. YES!!!

Was it previously converted to 134? If not, did you replace any other components (like the receiver drier)?

FC Zach

As for the speakers, if you are open to newer options and don't want to deal with possibly rotted OE pieces, you can do something similar to what I did.

The factory speakers a quite large and uniquely shaped so finding exact replacements could be difficult. I went to a local audio store a friend owns and he hooked me up with the latest JL Audio (at that time) for the front and rear, I just needed to adapt them to the factory boxes.
24799694276_4d6e5537f6_z.jpg

24197779854_54687428af_z.jpg

24825958785_0d1d94f697_z.jpg

The rears were different than the front and required me to trim the box and speaker frame to join the two.
43748739282_2180c04ecf_z.jpg

Just to give you some ideas, hope that helps.

underscore

FC Zach":35kj5oym said:
underscore":35kj5oym said:

Not sure I'm 100% following but there is a hole that those pennies are covering (where a rubber/plastic pad once was) and regardless of where the switch is adjusted, it will not be cycled if the hole is open to the switch.

I didn't realize there was a hole, ignore me then haha