About to Buy an ST165 in BC Canada

oacup

Greetings from British Columbia!
I'm planning to buy a locally-listed 1988 Celica Turbo 4WD this weekend. Against all car-buying wisdom, I've fallen in love with the car before the deal has gone through and I'm looking for advice when inspecting the vehicle.
Here are some things that I've been told to check:
- rocker panel/floor rust
- strut tower rust
- compression check
- valve cover gasket for oil leaks

I'm wondering if the seller is hiding a major issue. He's put in new front struts and "lots of new suspension/brake parts", and body panels have been switched out because of rust too.

What would you recommend me to inspect? And should I also post my inquiry somewhere else?
I'll definitely go through the search bar for more research too but I'd love to hear more advice.

Many thanks,
- oacup

underscore

Welcome! Where in BC are you located? It'll be nice to see a local(ish) 165, there's a black one in Vernon with a single picture that I'd love to grab for nostalgia sake but realistically that would be a bad idea. Do the usual checks for oil in the coolant and vice versa, check the turbo shaft for play if you can. Watch for any kinds of dodgy work as it's usually a sign of other dodgy work hiding. Being 31 years old unless there are receipts for things I'd assume the worst and go from there.

oacup

Thanks man! I super appreciate it. I'm in the lower mainland. Pretty close to the Peace Arch border. Hopefully thing a go well when I go take a look at the car :)

As stated, check for any fluid leaks (get under the front of the car with a flashlight and look up and lose my for any signs, including coolant, trans, power steering, etc). Look for torn boots on all 4 axle half-shafts, oil leak from the rear differential, broken rear differential mount, fuel tank leaking when over half full, any mods not OEM (if you want an all-original ST165), magnet on the rear quarters and behind wheels of front fenders, etc. There is a lot more, but these are the main “high-cost” areas to be watchful for. Find out when all the fluids were last flushed & replaced, and when the last timing belt service was performed. Good luck.

oacup

I super appreciate it! I'll definitely go through the list you outlined. Thanks for the heads up on checking for torn boots, the rear differential, fuel tank at above 50% full, and checking with a magnet. It's stuff I haven't thought of before

Rick89GTS

Hey, I just saw this late but PM or email me. Did you buy it yet? Don't fall in love with the legend but look at car itself.
Lotta things to be aware of on a car this old, complex and many parts discontinued.
I'm local and in your area almost every weekend. Be very cautious if you're not handy with a wrench or not prepared to do some work yourself; you'll be poor and miserable before you know it. I passed on several before getting mine. Good luck!