Hey all! Just picked up a 91 ST185

I quoted it because the test described bypasses the 2 relays you mention, and still the pump did not operate. Not saying their couldn't be a problem with one or both relays, but the test bypasses them. If the pump runs in the diagnostic port test, then I would say one or both relays you mentioned could be the source of the problem.

FC Zach

93celicaconv":1ngxe5v1 said:
I quoted it because the test described bypasses the 2 relays you mention

FC Zach":1ngxe5v1 said:
That sounds like a fuel pump relay (or possibly the circuit opening relay) if you get power to the pump with jumping FP and B+ in the DIAG box but not without.

Remember, your fuel pump will not work unless the engine is starting or running. . . just turning the key on won't do anything unless you jump the diagnostic box connections.

93celicaconv":1ngxe5v1 said:
Not saying their couldn't be a problem with one or both relays, but the test bypasses them. If the pump runs in the diagnostic port test, then I would say one or both relays you mentioned could be the source of the problem.

I know this, I was not assuming he left the diagnostic connections attached after reconnecting the pump. .

I think we are saying the same thing. The OP said he got power to the pump (+12VDC) after replacing a blown 7.5A IGN fuse (I also assumed leaving the +B & FP terminals jumpered), which was a change only due to the fuse being replaced, but even with the +12VDC power being present, the pump wouldn't run. The pump should have unless the pump itself is defective or if the ground is open circuited. One needs to get this right first, then try a start to make sure it runs, then stop the engine, pull the +B & FP jumper wire out, then try another start to see if it works. I guess this was the process I was thinking best.

Fhawman

Thanks for the suggestions guys, it really helps since I can only troubleshoot in short bursts, so it helps me focus and maximize my time.

For some silly reason I didn't check to see if the FP had power without the jumper, but I will tomorrow. I had the same concern as to why the IGN fuse was blown (maybe I did something during troubleshooting who knows).

Checking the ground wire continuity is a great suggestion also, easy to do. I did try to start it also with it jumpered and verified power to the FP, no go... So if the pump is running maybe I have a blockage, it was sitting for years with no gas in the tank, so that may have seized the pump, and also could have crapped up the tank....

The relay "looks" fine, not burnt. I saw how to test it and will check that tomorrow also. TO be continued....

FC Zach

Fhawman":2s19e5t6 said:
For some silly reason I didn't check to see if the FP had power without the jumper, but I will tomorrow. I had the same concern as to why the IGN fuse was blown (maybe I did something during troubleshooting who knows).
Possibly but yeah, check that the pump is receiving power without the bridged diagnostic terminals. That will help rule some things out of the equation.

I did try to start it also with it jumpered and verified power to the FP, no go... So if the pump is running maybe I have a blockage
Well that's good news I guess. . sadly, you possibly have a bigger issue to deal with like bad fuel (and just how bad, is it still a liquid ? LOL). I'd check what comes out of the tank drain to see if still a liquid then check pressure at the rail before dropping the tank.

The relay "looks" fine, not burnt. I saw how to test it and will check that tomorrow also. TO be continued....
Just check to see if you have power without the bridged terminals and if so, it sounds like you have to deal with stale fuel, good luck!

Fhawman

It was bone dry on fuel for years as far as I could tell. That may be what killed the pump.

I didn't notice a drain on that tank, I'll look into that also.

underscore

If it sat without fuel for years you're going to want to drop the tank anyways to get a look in there. Assuming it's never been out there's 28 years worth of crud in the tank (not to mention any possible rust) just waiting for the worst possible time to clog up the intake sock and make the engine run lean.

EvilStig

Fhawman":358ycyts said:
Sooo, considering its bone stock, once I get it running again and mechanically sound what would be the first things you would recommend I look into for upgrades that don't take it too far from stock but give it some extra performance (biggest bang for the buck)?

I went the route of ST205 intercooler swap (plus supporting ST185RC hood and bumper), boost controller, and upgraded turbo turbine and compressor (CT27 mod)

Then just the usual goodies like brakes (braided steel hoses, speed bleeders, slotted rotors, performance pads), coilovers, wheels and tires.

Fhawman

EvilStig":3ad0pzf6 said:
Fhawman":3ad0pzf6 said:
Sooo, considering its bone stock, once I get it running again and mechanically sound what would be the first things you would recommend I look into for upgrades that don't take it too far from stock but give it some extra performance (biggest bang for the buck)?

I went the route of ST205 intercooler swap (plus supporting ST185RC hood and bumper), boost controller, and upgraded turbo turbine and compressor (CT27 mod)

Then just the usual goodies like brakes (braided steel hoses, speed bleeders, slotted rotors, performance pads), coilovers, wheels and tires.

Thanks for the input! Once I get it back into running order I may start looking into some of those.

Fhawman

Ok, update. I hadn’t had a chance to mess with it for a while until today. Got the tank out, glad I did, it’s a mess.

Lots of gunk and rust all over the tank. Pump was totally rusted up, as was the float on the sending unit. Working on cleaning it up now, will see if I’m successful. Got a new pump, and I think I got the float cleaned up and moving freely.

Did a few solvent rinses on the tank for varnish, now doing a dilute acid soak until morning.

Fun stuff.

Fhawman

Update,

Got the tank clean, new FP, put the tank back in.

Replaced fuel filter (this is when I realized I didn't blow out the fuel line between the tank and the filer :bangshead:

Anyway, now the pump runs, car tries to start (fires and stumbles) but wont quite do it. Still runs fine on starting fluid.

So I'm guessing its either pluggage in the line I didn't blow out, or maybe injectors are varnished/stuck....

Fhawman

alltracman78":1nla7n0i said:
Pull the fuel line off at the fuel rail.
Crank the engine and see how much fuel you get.

Thanks for the input, I'll do this next.... My kingdom for a few solid days to work on this :)