New to the Forum

fallbrookcelica

Hello fellow Celica Fans.
I'm a newbie. I've had a '97 Celica GT Convertible for a couple years. Fun car to drive on a sunny day. But I love watching the rally races on YouTube, and have longed to get my hands on an All Trac. So, finally my dream was realized last week. I found the white '90 Celica All Trac for sale and bought it. Completely stock except for coilover suspension. Feel very fortunate.
Got the Owners Manual with the vehicle, but there was no paperwork for the coilovers, and the owner I bought from wasn't sure which brand they are (purchased by a previous owner), but he thought they are Tein. But I'm not sure. They are not green, but I don't know if all Tein coilovers are green or not. I have a picture of the upper mount and I'm wondering if anyone could ID the coilovers from the picture. Part of the top plate is violet in color (purple). It rides very stiff, can feel every small defect in the road and feels like it bottoms out easily. I would like to learn how to adjust these, once I discover the brand.
I have much to learn and so appreciate any help you all can provide. I'm wondering where I can post the picture of the strut mounting so you can see it.
Thanks much!

fallbrookcelica

Thank you pwadm for your reply and info on posting image.
I have added an image of the top of the coilover to the gallery. I need help identifying the brand of this coilover. I can take a wheel off and get a picture of the body of the coilover also if that will help.
Here is the image in the Gallery: [album]1415[/album]

silverarrow

Sounds like the white one that was in Phoenix. Congrats!

The only purple coilovers I'm aware of is D2(Cheap knockoff brand) or HKS, but it could be something else entirely. Normally the name is imprinted or has a sticker on the body of the coilover.

fallbrookcelica

Thank you all for your feedback (and your welcome).
So, I went to the small trouble of taking off a front wheel to view the coilover, and found that they are D2 Racing. Clearly seen is the large D2 logo letters on the inboard side of the coilovers, and below that a sticker from TUV Rheinland with the ISO numbers.

Happy to see that. I've ordered the "kit" parts to do adjustments from D2 Racing website. It rides really hard, so I'm guessing someone turned the adjusting hex on the tubes way right for stiff ride. Hope to be able to soften it a bit.
The springs were not preloaded, I could turn them by hand.

Wondering what "normal" vehicle height is for the '90 ST185 All-Trac. At the center of the front bumper (stock bumper) the car measures 5 and 3/4 inch from the ground to the bottom of the bumper. At the bottom of the rocker panel it measures 5 and 3/4 also (front - behind front wheel) not measured to the narrow metal lip where you place the jack, but to the body panel. In back, just in front of the rear wheel it measures 6 and 1/4 inch to the rocker panel.
Is that "low", "normal", or "high"?
Thanks for your feedback. Just learning about this wonderful car!