Hey now! New member here.

simple

Hello,

Glad to have found this forum. About to take ownership of a 1988 ST165 ISMA Champion that was on ebay last week. Should make for a great project. I've tried to find one since my neighbor had a beautiful black on black ST165 back in the 80s/90s. I also fell in love with the All-trac system when I owned a 1995 and then 1997 Previa S/C LE a few years back. So good in the snow!

I've gone to the junk yard to find parts but there aren't many Gen 4 Celicas left. Still I have high hopes I can find a BLUE dashboard and steering wheel as the current ones are facked.

...then comes the rally build...maybe...

simple

I bought the one in New Mexico. Excited that it is all original. Not so excited it hasn't been run in nearly 18 years.

simple

Just picked it up
dcd8815382495e915292f18e72372a36.jpg
c6b5267356d2925028d6de866ff9cd48.jpg

simple

Well engine crank will not turn clockwise. A little play backwards but not seeing pistons moving.

I've got it soaking with some fogging oil and marvel mystery oil in there as well.

Any other ideas?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

underscore

It's a non-interference engine and I'm assuming you'll want to do the belt anyways so you could cut the timing belt off and see if it's the bottom end or something in the head that's stuck?

simple

Timing belt is fairly new. About 10,000 miles ago. Looked at procedure to remove. Definitely labor intensive. On the fence on cut vs remove. Really want to know what is stuck. Wish I had x-ray vision

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

simple

Forgive my ignorance but what would the valve cover off be able to show me? All I can see is cams right? Did you mean timing cover?

underscore

If there's anything funky going on up there stopping it from turning. I once bought an engine (long story) that had the exhaust valves on two cylinders rusted open so I presume they could just as easily get seized shut.

simple

I may have found the ST205 engine I want. Can I get some advise on purchasing a JDM of this type? I got a JDM engine for my Previa a few years ago and it went fine with no issues. Price for that engine was less than $1000 but ST205 is twice that but a more desirable model. I would love to find a whole front clip but I can't find any right now but one and that seller didn't get back to me. Without front clip what sure I ensure is part of the engine purchase? I know I don't need front axles. What about exhaust? Accessories?

Thanks!

warracer

The 205 has much less stuff attached to it than the 185.

Id say, do a compression check , inspect the wire loom for cut wires , mangled connectors etc.

The rest is pretty much bolt on, same transmission (internals are different but they do the same job).

Exhaust is similar but some stud were added on the downpipe and manifold. Also, the turbo, ct20 is better than the ct26 , but being a jdm unit it will have a ceramic impeller which are brittle, so make sure its all in one piece.

Aside from that, the 205 is a solid swap.

warracer

Well,

Personally I would just get an aftermarket pump, or even better an OEM pump like a Bosch Cobra which is used in supercharged Fords (SVT Lightning, Mustang Cobra etc). Its overkill but it flows really well and is proven reliable.

Then just do a relay circuit to trigger it in the OEM harness.

Thing is, the 165 pump is now very , very old. so I wouldn`t risk it with a nice swap like this.