Another ‘88 ST165 is getting restored

Driv3r

Hi from White Western Canada,

After more then a year hunt for an 1988 All-Trac ST165, I finally got my hands on one.
My current plan is to bring it to it’s previous glory same as my 1986 MR2 AW11.

Most likely I will be looking to source a bunch of parts in order to bring it back to its past 100% original state and the first thing I will be needing is a good 3S-GTE gen1 block that i could use to replace the cracked one in the car.
At this point it doesn’t matter if is a complete motor, a short block or just bare block as long as it’s usable.

If you have one left around after your engine swap or you know anybody that has one please let me know.

Thank you in advance!
Alex :D

simple

Awesome! I'm looking for the same thing here in the States. With how few there are the prices for Gen1 motors are high right now. Good luck!

Driv3r

Rick89GTS":3pawkrec said:
Welcome to the joy & pain of All-Trac ownership! Is your 165 white? Post up some pics when you can.
Thanks!
it’s black with red interior.

Attachments

• 82FF40E9-2C2F-425F-8A7F-5E1FCAE90891.jpeg
    82FF40E9-2C2F-425F-8A7F-5E1FCAE90891.jpeg
    696.8 KB · Views: 2,580

Rick89GTS

Looks straight and clean! Looks like it's been repainted? Instead of Gen 1 motor, have you thought about putting in the 205 motor?

Driv3r

Rick89GTS":3ui6paje said:
Looks straight and clean! Looks like it's been repainted? Instead of Gen 1 motor, have you thought about putting in the 205 motor?

I would like to bring it back to its former glory with its stock engine. If that completely fails I will place a newer 3SGTE

underscore

I'd do some digging around here to see if a later block would be compatible with the 165 ancillaries. That would hopefully give you an easier time finding one in good shape.

Driv3r

I might have found an old ST185 short block. Not sure of it’s condition but at least I can use it to see how close or different is from the ST165 block. Sleeving might be another route.
The only problem is that I have to finish 2 other engine rebuilds before I start going on this one.

RedCelicaTRD

AN ST185 can be swapped in without much hassle. The mounts are the same. The 185 has a different oil cooler setup which also means a different turbo oil feed. Other minor differences. In the end it all depends on how original you want it to be.

Driv3r

RedCelicaTRD":27mhn0ys said:
AN ST185 can be swapped in without much hassle. The mounts are the same. The 185 has a different oil cooler setup which also means a different turbo oil feed. Other minor differences. In the end it all depends on how original you want it to be.

Ideally I would like to have it 100% stock and I am also currently exploring the option of Installing sleeves in order to preserve the original block, however it will all depend on the dollar amount. Tomorrow I am heading to my machine shop to pickup a block I droppers 2 weeks back and I will try to find out what would be the cost for such an endeavour.

Driv3r

93celicaconv":2ze9mtu7 said:
Don't know what your budget is at for what you intend to do, but here is a Gen 1 3S-GTE available from an eBay dealer:

- https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-1989-Toyo ... Swu1FeUW31

That is great find however I can probably revive my engine for about 1k. I just had a chat with my machine shop today and most likely I can sleeve the block. The only issue is that i have 2 more engines to rebuild before I get to tear apart the gen1 3SGTE

Attachments

• 979010E5-EA50-42FB-8CA2-37B2B3D51BF7.jpeg
    979010E5-EA50-42FB-8CA2-37B2B3D51BF7.jpeg
    202.9 KB · Views: 2,185
I think it is, but if a Gen 1 is what someone wants/needs, the supply is going down, driving prices higher. I don't think there is another Gen 1 on eBay, if that is any indication of supply. Most old Toyota engine resellers seem to do business on eBay.

Driv3r

Managed to find a ST165 complete engine with transmission.
At this point I am pretty confident that from the 2 engines i should be able to make one.
Now all is left is to get at it. 8)

GT4times2

simple":2wwc065z said:
93celicaconv":2wwc065z said:
Don't know what your budget is at for what you intend to do, but here is a Gen 1 3S-GTE available from an eBay dealer:

- https://www.ebay.com/itm/1986-1989-Toyo ... Swu1FeUW31
I may be new to this platform but isn't this a high price for a Gen1 engine?

So not worth it for that price. Swapped a few of mine with later Gen motors. I literally gave away those 1st Gens. I'd never go back either. They're smoking crack for that price. That thing should fetch for no more than $500-$600, realistically.