New Owner, New Member

94TT2JZED

Greetings everyone. I am the new owner of a 1991 ST185 that has sustained an engine burn. 48k miles but the body is pretty beat too so it's looking like this thing is going to need a full restoration.

So I need some advice on what to do with all of the replacement parts I need under the hood (pretty much anything plastic and rubber is toast electronics etc..). I understand most of the stuff I'll be looking for is dc'd so would it make more sense to try and get a half cut somewhere? Hopefully some of you have some ideas and if you have any leads please let me know! Anyways its great to join the community and I'm looking forward to this restoration.

88gt4DE

Good luck with the build. Theres another owner on here that did that. Lamont is the user I believe. I havent seen him in years but his car looks amazing now. 8)

Tippo

94TT2JZED":2ymeznwf said:
Greetings everyone. I am the new owner of a 1991 ST185 that has sustained an engine burn. 48k miles but the body is pretty beat too so it's looking like this thing is going to need a full restoration.

So I need some advice on what to do with all of the replacement parts I need under the hood (pretty much anything plastic and rubber is toast electronics etc..). I understand most of the stuff I'll be looking for is dc'd so would it make more sense to try and get a half cut somewhere? Hopefully some of you have some ideas and if you have any leads please let me know! Anyways its great to join the community and I'm looking forward to this restoration.

Congrats on the buy! I would totally go with a 4th/5th gen swap since the engine bay is melted pretty good (I saw it on the auction site). With a new hood / front end it should be back in no time! There's some local parts around here as well, I'll keep a look out if you're around this area.

94TT2JZED

alltracman78":2kt0bv20 said:
Where are you in Ma?

Any pictures?

Western Mass Springfield area.
See attached

88gt4DE":2kt0bv20 said:
Good luck with the build. Theres another owner on here that did that. Lamont is the user I believe. I havent seen him in years but his car looks amazing now. 8)

Thank you!

Tippo":2kt0bv20 said:
Congrats on the buy! I would totally go with a 4th/5th gen swap since the engine bay is melted pretty good (I saw it on the auction site). With a new hood / front end it should be back in no time! There's some local parts around here as well, I'll keep a look out if you're around this area.

Yeah I am thinking a 4th/5th gen swap would be the way to go after I looked into all of the sensors/components I would have to replace to retain the 2nd gen. I've managed to track down a few things so far.. It's only the beginning of what I'll need to gather I would much appreciate if you let me know of any parts in the area. I'm not sure how hard it is to come by these hoods but that seems like it will be one of the harder components to find a replacement for.

Attachments

• pickup1.JPG
    pickup1.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 1,141
  • pickup3.JPG
    pickup3.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 1,141
  • pickup25.JPG
    pickup25.JPG
    233.4 KB · Views: 1,141

alltracman78

Oh wow, you definitely have a project there. That's a shame.
Are you planning to keep it mostly stock? This is a good excuse to improve stuff.

I'm about 2 hours from you. I used to go to the Big E, but it's been a while now....

Did the inside get burned or hosed off at all?

I sold my last air scoop hood 6 or 7 years ago, wish I hadn't.
You may have to go with an aftermarket homologation hood.

A lot of the ancillary stuff should be the same as a GT/GTS. Power steering stuff, AC stuff (if you're going that direction), brake and clutch master, you can easily find a GTS radiator that fits, that metal piece over the radiator, I THINK most of the body harnesses in the front are the same. At least for the GTS/Alltrac.
Don't chuck the transmission yet (unless it's obviously destroyed), most gen 4/5 are autos. You might even be able to salvage the long block; get a few dollars back.