New member looking for advice

dibs2k7

Hi all,

So I currently have an st202 which has a rev 1 (st165) 3sgte swap done, however I've hit a problem in that I now have the usual st166 cracked manifold. So I'm looking for advice I understand from the DIY section here I can swap to a 185 manifold and turbo should I find one, I've also been told a head swap would possibly be a better option as there is rumors the 165 heads can crack, my only other option is to look at a complete swap to rev 3/4 engine.

So the advice I'm looking for is what would be best I have some cash I can put into the car but thinking long term what would be the most sound option, do I need to worry about the head cracking should I go 185 manifold or get my manifold welded? Should I just outright swap the engine? What will make the car the most future proof and bullet proof as I'm not after silly power from her as she is fwd and I have a feeling anything near 300bhp and she will struggle to get the power down.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated as I'm in a conundrum of what to do, I love the car but just feel like I'm in an uphill struggle due to lack of parts and sound advice.

Thanks.

Tecker185

If you switch to a st185 manifold you will have issues with clearance at the oil cooler. Best bet is to get another st165 manifold. Where are you located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dibs2k7

Tecker185":2leiwqce said:
If you switch to a st185 manifold you will have issues with clearance at the oil cooler. Best bet is to get another st165 manifold. Where are you located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm located north east England.

I know there are issues with going to a st185 manifold didn't realise clearance was one, as I say I'm currently just looking at options and advice given. I'm currently trying to get my manifold welded but I'm unsure how well welding works and lasts.

Thanks.

grip-addict

I know there are different bolt patterns in different generation exhaust manifolds. I'm not sure what works where though (sorry). Info's probably here on the board.
If it were me, I'd try to find someone with a TIG welder who is comfortable with welding cast manifolds. It's tricky but it can be done. Maybe give Nik at Bad Obsession Motorsport a call? :) They're outside of Milton Keynes I think. There's probably someone closer though (I hope).
I wouldn't go start replacing more parts that aren't broken unless you want to start making more power and performing some active modifications. I think keeping these cars/motor on the road is quite a significant accomplishment sometimes :)