Trigger problem

Lando

Hi everyone. I'm new here. So i recently installed an EMU classic ecu with a PNP adapter on a Toyota Celica Alltrac st185 91". It has the stock 2.0 3sgte gen2 engine. The first problem was that me and my tuner cant find the primary trigger, but after a bit of search we've found that the wire was going nowhere in the adapter.
Then the second problem appear with the secondary trigger, with both signal from the distributor G1 and G2 the pattern its like copy and paste.
Maybe the setting aren't right, but its like all the wire from the distributor are bringing the same singal...
Someone had the same problem? Or can help? Thanks:)

grip-addict

I struggled a bit with this while wiring in my EMS thru an adapter. My car had already been engine swapped and some of the harness was butchered with different color wires, so.. it sucked.
It won't be fun but if you aren't sure what's what, trace the wires from the distributor to the ecu and make sure stuff is going where you think it is. If you're not comfortable with a multimeter yet, be prepared to be :)

Factory triggering is as follows on all distributor-based 3s:
NE is crank
G- is signal ground
G1 and G2 are both cam sensors and they are 180* opposite of each other. You only need one or the other in an EMS - not both.

All 3 sensors are VR's and share the same common ground on G-

On the Gen 3, I can confirm this:
Yellow (NE) -> crank trigger
Red (G1) -> cam
Green (G2) -> 180* cam
Black (G-) -> signal ground

I don't know anything about EMU but in my Haltech software I can see the RPM's when cranking the car. If you see the RPM's go up, that means you at least have the crank trigger and ground wired correctly.

freddie

Hi mate,
Ok look at your distributor from the top like a clock.
Top sensor (magnet) (12 o'clock) is NE Yellow wire This is Primary Trigger (B7)
3 o'clock is G- Black wire Sensor ground (B18) and G1 Camsync No2 Green wire
9 o'clock is G2 Blue wire Camsync No1 (B15)

Do not connect G1 Green wire. Camsync No2 is for engines that have variable
cam timing. The 3SGTE engine does not have variable cam timing. So dis-
regard this (B6) on the EMU.
My 165 has a 205 engine installed with COP so the top plate and rotor etc in the
distributor has been removed and the distributor has a blank cap.
If I can remember correctly the wire colours are for the 205 distributor. Anyway
as said look at the distributor as a clock face and you will be able to work out
which wire is which.
If you send me a PM with an email address I will in turn email you a copy of my
electrical drawing. It is very detailed.
When it came time to get my Celica running, we could not get it to fire. We simply
swapped the camsync (G1 and G2) wires over and bingo! away it went, started and
ran ok. Please remember this incase you have the same problem

The EMU is a good unit simple to install, set up and tune.