New guy in New England

wachusettarea

Figured it's time to join the forum instead of just lurking. I'm in central MA. Would like to find a clean unmolested ST185 or 205.

Mark

wachusettarea

I watched the auction, nice car, I was surprised at the price. Hard to tell if that's where prices are headed or if it was a one of selling price. I'd look at something similar or a 205.

Mark

simple

Most sales on BAT are not realistic. It is millionaires building their collection. The buyer of that Alltrac has bought a half dozen low mileage Toyotas on BAT lately.

It is the new Barrett Jackson for people who don't want hot rods.

simple":1lmeun0v said:
Most sales on BAT are not realistic. It is millionaires building their collection. The buyer of that Alltrac has bought a half dozen low mileage Toyotas on BAT lately.

It is the new Barrett Jackson for people who don't want hot rods.
I don't understand this response. The particular ST185 did sell for the amount shown on BaT. It is real. I'm not saying that is the new norm for prices of ST185's. But if a future seller of a similar condition ST185 wants to explore the market, it appears BaT may be worth considering. I don't know what the fees are to a buyer on BaT though.

simple

If you don't understand you should explore it more. One thing many don't realize is you have to apply to sell on BAT. Many don't make the cut.

BAT is not like a private sale. Many try to raise their price to match those auction sales and they find zero buyers. Again it is like Barrett Jackson, there is an emotional component to a sale that is watched by a crowd.

These millionaires know they overpaid for a car....and they don't care. Probably because they WON the car. It is a competition. Talk to any car collector and you'll see them bursting at the seems with their ego.

simple

Sweet! I'm just playing at the low dollar table but I get to see the ballers enough to know the system.

simple":144bjoi5 said:
If you don't understand you should explore it more. One thing many don't realize is you have to apply to sell on BAT. Many don't make the cut.

BAT is not like a private sale. Many try to raise their price to match those auction sales and they find zero buyers. Again it is like Barrett Jackson, there is an emotional component to a sale that is watched by a crowd.

These millionaires know they overpaid for a car....and they don't care. Probably because they WON the car. It is a competition. Talk to any car collector and you'll see them bursting at the seems with their ego.

This seems pretty accurate.

The part I really don't like is the private sellers who then go into the "I know what I have" mode, and won't listen to reasonable offers. I saw an st165 listed in Kentucky that is not in great condition (not terrible, but nothing very special), does not have low miles, and is not on BaT with 200 photos. It's on Facebook marketplace with maybe 10 pictures. They are asking $20k. And unless I'm thinking of a different one, I think I remember the listing saying something like "no BS" - as in, don't contact me unless you want to pay $20k. They want to be "market setters" just because they have one, not because their example is actually special.

Makes it tougher for those of us who cannot be high rollers, and just want a good condition car that isn't concourse ready. Oh well.

simple

Oh well. Sellers priced too high either drop the price or disappear. You either want to sell or you just put it up because you promised your spouse you would try to sell it. Or a random person buys it at the inflated price.

BAT denies people all the time when their reserve price is too high. They want success not reserve not met. Look at the Beams ST165 auction. That should have been a sale but seller didn't participate in discussion and provide videos when asked. Plus too high a reserve. It is an interesting scene. Dude who sold 33.5k ST185 is very involved and transparent and is seen as a very good seller. His MR2 was amazingly mint also

Roreri

I posted a discussion about this without realizing there was already a discussion about this.

The more I sleep on it, I think the fact that this BAT result was a really nice example of a stock USDM AllTrac marketed upscale and professionally photographed for a forum that can attract upscale buyers. That is what drove that price--I don't think it's normal and competition between those last two bidders looks like it was a factor.

As far as money, everyone has a line below which they don't care, poor, middling, rich. Agreed with Simple. Millionares (or even regular folks with a good stock of mad money) don't care that an AllTrac costs $33,500. The condition and it being what they want is what matters.

To the OP: If you do your internet searches, you can find them. It was trivial to find this listing: http://jdm-expo.com/vehicle-inventory/6 ... -sale.html The trouble can be being unable to take a look at it before committing.