New to the forum.

Demon_S8

Hello all,

New to the group, hoping I can learn and share information on vehicle builds, swaps, etc.
My new project is a 1993 Toyota Carina, JDM, ST195, which basically is an Alltrac Celica with 4drs. Hence I to have the dreaded rear strut acquisition issues.
I read the DIY on modifying the tops of other type of struts to work with these applications using various KYB or Tokico strut inserts and have a quick question regarding the modification.
If I were to cut the top of the shock at the weld line and thread the inner top to accept the hex head threaded cap, will I have enough height for a strut to be secured in the shock? Is clearance the purpose for welding the top threaded portion of a separate donor shock? Thanks in advance for reply!

gt4ferko

i welded the tops of mine on an 88 alltrac celica. i was just careful to control the heat. but it worked out just fine.

Demon_S8

Thank you, much appreciated. The welding aspect of the modification is what I'm worried about.
Would you happen to have the measurement from the top of the locking nut to the base of the shock, to reference how much material and space I have to work with? Thanks again!

underscore

The listing on RockAuto for the Monroe front inserts lists the body as 13" long. Tapping the existing tube is an interesting idea, I know my welding skills aren't very good so I ended up calling a few fab shops in the area til I found one willing to weld a suspension component. Those kinds of places might have a big enough tap as well, so that might be cheaper than buying one that size yourself.

gt4ferko

Demon_S8":3953yoem said:
Thank you, much appreciated. The welding aspect of the modification is what I'm worried about.
Would you happen to have the measurement from the top of the locking nut to the base of the shock, to reference how much material and space I have to work with? Thanks again!

unfortunately i dont. i did it about 4 years ago. i just remember clamping it all together and slowly going around it spot welding. i drove the car for about 2k miles before getting rid of the car and it worked great.

Roreri

Fascinating. So, the ST195 Caldina has a 3S-FE motor mated to what transmission? Same transmission as the AllTrac?

Demon_S8

Not sure if its the exact same trans, but she is automatic and AWD, with a power and manual option. The Caldina has the same ST195 platform as Carina but does come with the 3SGTE engine mates to AWD auto and 5spd variations in the JDM market. So look for one of those if you want an unruly 4DSD sleeper. I intend on doing the V6 2G or 3SGTE swap in the near future though, the 3SFE is slow and not as great on gas as I assumed she'd be.