New Member Edgar Pineda

hu5tlermr2

Hello want to introduce myself, I recently bought a ST185 GT Four. I am located in Northern Japan at the moment, but I am from Central California. I am just getting in to this chassis, and so far I like it, I come from the mr2 community, and own a couple of AW11 Mr2s. Plans for this car is to do some maintenance at first, and slowly start going from there. First up will be a full on paint correction on the car, it has seen better days, I did a test panel on the hood, and it will clean up very well. I have bought all OEM parts to do the timing service, along with other seals, and gaskets. I will also relocate the battery to the rear, and install some different wheels, at the moment I have 2 sets of Work wheels that will fit, but I am interested in a set of Advan RC's. I am sure I am forgetting a few things that I have in the works but will try to post as much. My IG is @hu5tlermr2 if any one wants to follow, I post only car related stuff, but will also be posting here. Link below is to some pictures, on one of the pictures/video you could see the hood results after a quick cut/polish, will be doing the entire car soon, and applying a ceramic coating.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8gXetce7UT4dnxcr8

Roreri

Super nice find! I saw the Hachinohe plate on that Canter. I know Hachinohe decently well, having been over to Misawa a time or three. They still got those Gundam statues by that barber shop on the road up to Misawa?

Northern Japan is a dang near perfect place to own one of these. Beautiful countryside. If you haven't been, I recommend a ferry ride over to Tomakomai now and again the roads in Hokkaido are great for touring, too.

Interesting about the GT-Four door decals being replaced with a Castrol sticker. I have a JDM Gt-Four too and the GT-Four door decals are missing--I'm wondering if this is just a thing they did there, or whether the stickers were not applied, or what.

Badging is always interesting. I see you have CELICA on the front hood trim, but no Toyota emblem, and no badges on the back. The previous owner of mine put a Celica AllTrac badge on it.

No ABS or sunroof, like mine. No loss, in my opinion.

Funky gauge cluster addon there.

What's going on with the weird switch outboard of the steering wheel? Looks like something was put in there? On mine it's just a circular plug with no switch.

Nice that you have the fog lights, mine were gone.

Based on how you were able to get the gloss back on that paint, if you get a clear coat applied I bet it will come back sharp.

How's the rust situation underneath?

Almost 150,000 kilometers is a high mileage Japanese car for sure! If this GT-Four is in typical Japanese-owned condition it should recover well from its long slumber--I can't see any shaken stickers to make a guess at when last this was road legal (mine's shaken expired in Heisei 17). It doesn't look like anything crazy was done to it--a good sign in my opinion. Looks in overall great shape.

Welcome to the forums! Looking forward to seeing more about this. You bringing it to the states or are you long term staying in Japan?

hu5tlermr2

Roreri":11wkmxss said:
Super nice find! I saw the Hachinohe plate on that Canter. I know Hachinohe decently well, having been over to Misawa a time or three. They still got those Gundam statues by that barber shop on the road up to Misawa?

Northern Japan is a dang near perfect place to own one of these. Beautiful countryside. If you haven't been, I recommend a ferry ride over to Tomakomai now and again the roads in Hokkaido are great for touring, too.

Interesting about the GT-Four door decals being replaced with a Castrol sticker. I have a JDM Gt-Four too and the GT-Four door decals are missing--I'm wondering if this is just a thing they did there, or whether the stickers were not applied, or what.

Badging is always interesting. I see you have CELICA on the front hood trim, but no Toyota emblem, and no badges on the back. The previous owner of mine put a Celica AllTrac badge on it.

No ABS or sunroof, like mine. No loss, in my opinion.

Funky gauge cluster addon there.

What's going on with the weird switch outboard of the steering wheel? Looks like something was put in there? On mine it's just a circular plug with no switch.

Nice that you have the fog lights, mine were gone.

Based on how you were able to get the gloss back on that paint, if you get a clear coat applied I bet it will come back sharp.

How's the rust situation underneath?

Almost 150,000 kilometers is a high mileage Japanese car for sure! If this GT-Four is in typical Japanese-owned condition it should recover well from its long slumber--I can't see any shaken stickers to make a guess at when last this was road legal (mine's shaken expired in Heisei 17). It doesn't look like anything crazy was done to it--a good sign in my opinion. Looks in overall great shape.

Welcome to the forums! Looking forward to seeing more about this. You bringing it to the states or are you long term staying in Japan?

Yes the Barber shop guy still has the Gundam Statues, they're really cool. Yeah didn't like the Castrol stickers, I removed them, and began the wet sanding process to completely remove the etching of the sticker. I will be adding st205 celica spoiler GT-Four emblems in it's place, will also try to get a new decal for the turbo all wheel driver sticker. This car didn't seem to come with badging, I see no sign of them taking them off, unless they removed and polished afterwards. I am also glad it doesn't have a sunroof, and or ABS i prefer the nimble feeling of a simple celica. for the switch, they added it for the fog lights, really weird since the oem fog light switch works, it's hooked up to another independent relay system, from what I could see is they had other fog lights connected before, but removed them and never took out the switch or the relay. I will be doing this eventually. I want to take out all excess wiring, to include the turbo timer it currently has, I will verify proper installation on the turbo timer and go from there. the gauge cluster has that ugly white cover, i will also remove this and put it back to stock, or could possibly mold it and make it out of dry carbon. on the shine, I will do a proper 3 stage paint correction, and follow up with a ceramic coating, the car definitely needs a new paint job, but I won't do that till the car is back home with me. For now it's just a paint correction/ ceramic coating, and touch up paint where it needs it. The underneath is flawless, we inspected it with a frame inspection hammer, as mentioned car has sat for a very long time, and the owner had it stored indoors (some make shift farm shed). according to owner kilometers went up a lot because he commuted from Towada to Sendai once a week before putting the car away (his words). Either way car is in good shape, not perfect, but good specially for its age, timing was done a year prior to being stored, coolant seemed really clean. But will still do all the belts and seals to make sure all is good. i am also replacing the Radiator while at it. Mostly just going back and doing much needed maintenance. We recently did the Shaken (we, as in me and a Japanese friend (mostly him lol), I was lucky enough to find a Kakimoto complete exhaust system on the Auctions for a really cheap price, that's all that was changed other than fluids. passed emissions easily, and ran decent after 2 tanks of gas to clear out the old stuff. all it needed was a headlight alignment, and brighter bulbs to pass, so it wasn't hard. My plan is to bring it home with me when i leave here mid 2023, I own a composite shop in Mexico so plan to mold and make body parts that are heavy on this thing, one thing for sure is the hood, it weighs a lot lol. Ill make sure to post more, snow is melting away now so soon, ill put on the summer wheel set (a set of Works) not an aggressive set up, but good for now.

Roreri

Man, that's good to hear that you were able to pass shaken for it. Towada to Sendai and back is like 650km--that would be like 34,000km a year. Yeah, that'll do it! But...expressway miles.

Not having those systems saves some weight for sure--about 50 lbs (22.75kg) just in the ABS system and sunroof.

You're going to be able to co carbon crazy--jealous! You stand to lose 30 lbs (13.6kg) going carbon for the hood and 13 lbs (5.9kg) for the front fenders. How much do you think a full carbon body refit would save weight-wise?

Battery relocate and rear spare tire delete would drop and shift some weight, too. Just me thinking out loud as weight reduction while not gutting the interior is on my mind too.

Factor in the 222hp for the JDM 3S-GTE and we have some zippy Celicas.

Excited for you, fellow GT-Four driver!

hu5tlermr2

Roreri":2ptpdc40 said:
Man, that's good to hear that you were able to pass shaken for it. Towada to Sendai and back is like 650km--that would be like 34,000km a year. Yeah, that'll do it! But...expressway miles.

Not having those systems saves some weight for sure--about 50 lbs (22.75kg) just in the ABS system and sunroof.

You're going to be able to co carbon crazy--jealous! You stand to lose 30 lbs (13.6kg) going carbon for the hood and 13 lbs (5.9kg) for the front fenders. How much do you think a full carbon body refit would save weight-wise?

Battery relocate and rear spare tire delete would drop and shift some weight, too. Just me thinking out loud as weight reduction while not gutting the interior is on my mind too.

Factor in the 222hp for the JDM 3S-GTE and we have some zippy Celicas.

Excited for you, fellow GT-Four driver!

Yeah the drive is definately far for sure. I am excited to hear about the weight savings, Yeah I noticed how heavy the Hood was, on the weight savings per part is easy to loose a little over half of the origial weight, can't say for sure on the Celica as I have never made parts for them but know first hand off the AW11 Mr2, for example the rear engine lid weighs over 14 lbs and the carbon one is about 5 lbs, could make it a bit lighter if i minimize on the oem framing. On the trunk the number look very similar. The battery relocation is mostly because I want to be able to add an intake filter, that won't be sucking in hot air, I think putting it by the battery with proper ventilation, and a block off box will be good. for the engine I do have a complete Caldina 5th gen 3sgte that i was able to pull here from a caldina gt4, so i could easily swap that over for the better electronics and small power bump. mostly want the coil on plug, and smoother engine bay. I was able to source an RC w2a intercooler, and currently have a garrett heat exchanger core from an svt mustang, all i really need is 3/4 heater hose and a cobra pump. but for now i am more worried about doing basic maintnance.

Roreri

You're suffering from an embarrassment of riches, in my opinion. It's a good sort of problem to have!

If you don't, or can't do that Caldina swap, basic maintenance will almost certainly keep you busy for a while. Anything could give out on you. It could cost you a lot of money to make it right and reliable. It's been sitting a long time. From even my short experience with mine, it feels like trying to pile up ice cream on a hot summer day. Even though I'm mostly happy with mine, every time I get something locked down, something else pops up. Example: I have intermittent stumbling and power drops that can be anything from AFM to ignition problems to fuel pump to leaking caps in the ECU.

Which leads me to Caldina 3S-GTE for the win. If you'll forgive me being bold with advice, swapping that Caldina in there and bypassing all that stabilizing and modding and stabilizing the 2Gen 3S-GTE--I'd do that instead of wrestling with that old (and admittedly beloved) Gen 2 3S-GTE.

If the loaded USDM ST185 is 3300lbs, with 200bhp, that's 16.5lbs/bhp. Yours would be probably ~3150 lbs with 256bhp, for 12.3lbs/hp. That constitutes a 33% increase in thrust to weight.

Down the road, once you start replacing steel with carbon fiber, what yours could be, without power mods, is 3000lbs with 256bhp, for 11.71lbs/bhp. That'd be 40% more thrust to weight on a 10% lighter platform. Or another way of looking at it, like adding 81bhp to the heavier USDM ST185 (but then you'd still be heavier).

So, there's a lot to be excited about. Heck, I'm excited and it isn't even my car! :D