Another saved 165

nicklindstrom

Found a red 165 posted on a online marketplace when I was eating breakfast at a diner, the luck gods smiled upon me and it had only been posted 5 minutes before I found it. I immediately called the number and the "owner" agreed to have me come see it, payed my bill and headed to the bank to grab the cash. Before I showed up I was told a couple things, a) it didn't run b) it didn't have papers c) it was her brothers car and he now lives out of country. Honestly, when I saw it was a no rust car, outside of the sunroof lid, I didn't even look at the rest, just handed her the cash (1500) and pulled it onto the flat bed out of the field it was sitting in. She mentioned " this must be something special hey? in the hour you took to get here I got about 20 phone calls". I got her to sign a Bill Of Sale, just to be safe and make sure I wasn't going to end up with a court case over a car and got to work on making it legal..... This was 2 years ago. First I went through it to make sure I wasn't going to waste my time, did the starter relay mod, cleaned up some garbage done to it and I was on to tracking down the brother, who was actually the last registered owner and mailing him all the documents and some cash so he had no reason to not mail it all back. Then I got the pleasure of dealing with ICBC (British Columbia's licensing and insuring body) for about 9 months to get the reg and carry on. Almost exactly 2 years to the day, it's on the road and working pretty well. Still a lot to do, still some missing parts, still a money pit, but hey, here I am, and I finally own one of my dream cars from my childhood and it is a blast.

Anyways, hello everyone and thanks to everyone who has shared knowledge on this forum in the past to help keep these cars alive!

Tippo

wow, what perseverance! good story and welcome. toss in some pictures so we can admire.