92 Alltrac Corolla

A

Anonymous

Can anyone tell me how reliable these cars are and what parts availability is like when something breaks? Looking at a wagon with 215k miles. Cheap and reliable engine/tranny swaps? What should I know or look for? I want a good car, cheap.

bridge47

I helped a friend inspect one before he bought it 7 yrs. ago. An 89 with 4AFE(I think). Had manual locking center diff button on dash. Was very reliable. Mileage was about 22-24 on highway. Not so hot but 4AFE is almost floored at 80 mph. Only prob he had was rear tailights weren't sealed up well against the elements, kept going out. He sold it at 200k to by 4runner.

gearhead4life

Hey, these are great cars. I've been a Toyota tech since '87, and have worked on, driven and owned corolla Alltracs, previa Alltracs, camry Alltracs, and of course, our Celicas. The last Corolla Alltrac I owned was an automatic. Not great on horsepower, at least the 5 speed models pulled better off the line, but extremely reliable, and they go anywhere without needing chains. I sold mine to a person 600 miles away for more than I paid for it, and she was ecstatic. Only drawback I felt was the shoulder belts that latched on the doors. Nearly hung myself a couple of times, but not all years had those 2 piece lap and shoulder belt systems. I was also considering putting a 4AGE motor in it, but didn't keep it long enough. Great car though! Good luck :wink:

A

Anonymous

Oh man, I didn't realize I posted the same thread in two sections of the board, haha. Got jumped on. My mistake...

Thanks for the replies, that's pretty much what I was hoping to hear. And this thing has "low" miles, and I'm not expecting much of it at all. Just a short driver, maybe 15-30 miles a week.

I do want to transport my daughter in it, though, and safety in such an old vehicle... I'm sure my wife would appreciate a rollcage... :D