What is the automatic all tracs power split?

alltraccamry

I just wanted to say hi. I just bought 2 all trac Camry's and don't know much about them. I cant find any information. I am not new to the Toyota world, I been messing with MK1 Mr2's for about 4 years now. Both of my Camrys are Automatics. I was inquiring if the awd system was any different than that of the 5 speed manual. I know the manual is 50/50 all the time and you can lock the center diff to maintain the 50/50. So I have been told. Is the auto's front wheel drive biased and only transfer power to the rear axle when the front wheels start to slip? I wish I knew because I am planing on doing a 3sgte swap in one of mine and want to keep the auto trans. I know some of you would say that is lame but it is different and that's what I like. Plus brake boosting to 15lbs and launching it off the line is awesome!!! I used to have a a couple of turbo legacys that were automatics and it was a blast to get them off the line. So any help would be appreciated. I have searched and searched to find out the automatic awd system but to no avail. Even Wikipedia doesn't say anything how the automatics work on delivering power.

I do know the Subaru's automatic's are 90/10 front wheel biased until the front wheels start to slip then they will transfer 50% of the engines torque to the rear axle to deliver a 50/50 power split until the front wheels start get grip. Finding out this information will help me decided if I want to convert to manual transmission or not.

Thank you guys.
Paul

CMS-GT4

Its likely most don't know. The camry does not seem to have a lot of info out there on it. I would not suggest the auto route due to power, but your power plans may not be too big. If you had to have auto, you can source a caldina 3sgte, and auto tranny.

If its anything like the celicas and rav4s which have a similar design transmission the center diff would be open. The celica and rav4 maintain their 50/50 split thanks to the viscous locker on the center diff. The first gtfours had a locking center diff. So I imagine you either have some sort of viscous locker in the center. I would go to toyodiy.com through a german proxy site to look at pics of the transmission. You will be able to get an idea of the make up of the center diff. But anyway to answer your question, I would bet its 50/50. You just need to find out what kind of lsd system it uses and that will point you to your answer.

alltraccamry

CMS-GT4":1q2p8nak said:
Its likely most don't know. The camry does not seem to have a lot of info out there on it. I would not suggest the auto route due to power, but your power plans may not be too big. If you had to have auto, you can source a caldina 3sgte, and auto tranny.

If its anything like the celicas and rav4s which have a similar design transmission the center diff would be open. The celica and rav4 maintain their 50/50 split thanks to the viscous locker on the center diff. The first gtfours had a locking center diff. So I imagine you either have some sort of viscous locker in the center. I would go to toyodiy.com through a german proxy site to look at pics of the transmission. You will be able to get an idea of the make up of the center diff. But anyway to answer your question, I would bet its 50/50. You just need to find out what kind of lsd system it uses and that will point you to your answer.

Thank you very much. I will do some more research on it with the info you gave me. There is no info on the auto, its crazy. I don't have to go with the auto, I just thought it would be unique. Thank you though for the info.

GMan

If you can find a Caldina front cut, many of them came Auto.
Might be the easiest/least expensive way to go. I would Not
suggest using the stock auto. (Might not be able to handle the power ? and the shift points
would be Way different ? )

I believe the center directs power 50/50 all the time and just locks, adjusts
by detecting slip using speed sensors. I have the manuals but would have to read
more.

Keep one auto stock ? They are unstoppable in snow with good snow tires. :-}

There have been a Few 5spd swaps done. Great little sleeper. :evil:

How are they for rust by the way ? A lot up here in the North East are Rusting to death.

Regards;
------------------------------------

alltraccamry

GMan":3ol1njb2 said:
If you can find a Caldina front cut, many of them came Auto.
Might be the easiest/least expensive way to go. I would Not
suggest using the stock auto. (Might not be able to handle the power ? and the shift points
would be Way different ? )

I believe the center directs power 50/50 all the time and just locks, adjusts
by detecting slip using speed sensors. I have the manuals but would have to read
more.

Keep one auto stock ? They are unstoppable in snow with good snow tires. :-}

There have been a Few 5spd swaps done. Great little sleeper. :evil:

How are they for rust by the way ? A lot up here in the North East are Rusting to death.

Regards;

Mine is rust free. I got a good deal on them. Thank you very much for the information.
------------------------------------

alltraccamry

I will be parting out a automatic all trac camry with only 128k miles soon. It just needs too much work. the yahoo I got it from didn't know what he had and basically destroyed it, he tore apart the dash to remove the blower fan to put it in a fwd Camry, starting taking apart the engine because it was bad and lost all the bolts, tryed to jack up the car by the drivers floor pan.......ect. If your local you will have to come and look at it. I just scored a 5 speed All trac Camry yesterday for $800. Almost in perfect condition. Only one small rust spot on the passenger side door. Original owner with all maintenance records ect.....I will post up pics later. So I have 3 all tracs now, two autos, and my dd which is a 5 speed.

athousandleaves

I began looking into this more seriously after watching the Toyota Differential Videos viewtopic.php?f=43&t=44912 and from what I can tell through looking at parts diagrams the Automatic Alltrac Camry's all received a lockable Clutch type front differential!

-Edit-

In the owners manual it also specifies a different type of transmission fluid for the automatic transmission only in the 4WD Camry.

All the other automatic and manual transmissions for the V6 & FWD camry are told to use Dexron type II for auto's and API GL-5 for manual's.
The Alltrac Camry is specified as needing Toyota automatic transaxle fluid type T or equivalent.
For the transfer case they specify Toyota "GEAR OIL SUPER" transaxle oil or multipurpose gear oil API GL-5
For the rear differential they specify Hypoid gear oil API GL-5

athousandleaves

After further investigation it I believe that the Automatic 4WD camry did not receive a clutch type front diff, just an open front diff.
However, the center differential is in fact a clutch type diff and it is controlled automatically via the 4WD ECU. As the bias becomes greater between the front and rear wheels, the computer increases the pressure on the fluid in the center diff and begins to lock the front and rear together. There is a specific BGB for the A540E & A540H transmission that I can direct people to if there's any interest.

So the power split in the automatic is the same as in a manual car with the viscous coupler (50/50) but different from the earlier mechanically locked diff.