Celica In The Snow?

General Chat

Re: Celica In The Snow?

Postby CMS-GT4 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:11 am

I watched that video, and I'll accept with a proper technique as he points out you can make it stop. I am still going to argue that a proper tire is more important than awd, but coupled with awd you have the most advantage.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Coldiron
92 st185 (205 swap) | 03 350Z Track (sold) | 13 Pilot | 17 Mazda3 | 12 Vroom Vroom
linktr.ee/ColdironWorks | www.coldironworks.com | http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19891
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby Roreri » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:37 am

There was another article that pointed out that you still have to not drive like an idiot. 4WD cannot save the terminally foolish. As for tires, yep. I’m probably going to keep mine shod with all seasons when I get to Colorado. The lure of the dirt twisties will be too great.
Roreri
Club Member

Postby simple » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:08 am

Once in CO you'll end up like me with dedicated winter wheels and tires for all my vehicles. I have run out of room in the shed and will probably build another one just for tires. I have a problem. I like driving through blizzards towing a trailer. I run Michelin and KO2 btw. Blizzacks are more for ice and don't last as long. Nokians are too expensive and I like my Costco discount
simple
Club Member

Postby underscore » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:15 am

CMS-GT4 wrote:I watched that video, and I'll accept with a proper technique as he points out you can make it stop. I am still going to argue that a proper tire is more important than awd, but coupled with awd you have the most advantage.

Agreed. AWD may help, but it can still only help you as much as your tires allow.

In that video, a) that's a RWD vehicle, not a FWD, a FWD vehicle won't have the rear tires pushing b) not a panic situation, c) presumably that's a manual, d) that's a locked tcase, not a part time tcase or viscous AWD system, e) that's a skilled driver.

At the end of the day I find it far easier to just tell normal people AWD/4WD does not help them stop, because for them it won't. Very few people are going to actually pay attention enough or go get enough practice to actually manage to stop better, even if they did have the equipment to do so. If you tell them AWD/4WD can *potentially* help you stop better, they ignore the potentially part and leave janky tires on their trucks and Subarus and stuff them into ditches when they panic and lock up the brakes.
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby Roreri » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:08 pm

I can't argue that underscore and CMS-GT4. Well put.

I reckon so, simple. I reckon so...

I think we're probably atypical drivers. Just a guess...
Roreri
Club Member

Postby sefiroxx » Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:09 pm

10 years in CT with my 91 GT. Skiing in VT, NH with it and Mary a problem. Ran Gislaved (Swedish) tires during the time.

But it was backed up with a 4WD Suburban that became the neighborhood shopping vehicle when the snows got deep and the plows were late. Eventually, the boys made a fortune pulling cars out with it when we got back to Texas and the ice storms. It pulled the GT home a couple of times as well.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
sefiroxx
Club Member

Previous

Return to Club Chat