does double clutch extend clutch's life?

does double clutching extend clutch life.

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

suprakid95

like the subject says does double clutching extend the life of the clutch? I had a debate with another member and just wasent seeing how it couldent be better for your clutch.

we both agreed it to save on syncros.

grip addict

well, first let me say that double clutching is not worth the effort and time.
rev matching, however, is. when you double clutch, the only benefit as opposed to rev matching is that you're spinning the tranny input shaft. i personally find just rev matching to be more efficient. other people swear by it, though...

disclaimer aside-

whenever you downshift, you should always rev match. especially if you're at the car's traction limit around the corners...
not rematching during a downshift is actually called clutch braking

:p

theUNYTEDone

i LOVE rev matching. learning it for the first time felt so awesome. still end up bogging sometimes, however...some ricers are like "wtf, why're you revving me out?!"

but when you just hear your car get louder and you dont FEEL any difference in the ride...not many things like it. :smokes:

MetalliKAT97

Especially with any clutch beyond OEM your GOING to want to REV match reguarless because if you havent noticed the grip is a lot more intense. The only way to downshift without any major jerks to you or your passengers is rev matching.

With stock clutches you usually get away with it which is why ppl look at you funny when they hear you rev for no reason lol.

my car especially being a straight exhaust all the way back with any resinators or cats....LOUD AS HELL when you downshift from a high rev to begin with...but I Would rather do that than just drop it into a lower gear or any other method.

also helps if you heel-toe...im getting the hang of it. It really helps with highway traffic where you have the retards who all of a sudden slam their brakes and your going 80+ behind em...gatta use everything you've got. :p

probably way off topic but w.e :shrug:

jprine01

Can somebody please explain the difference from double clutch to rev match?
When I downshift I stick it in N and mash the gas before I clutch again and put it into gear. This way the input shaft is spinning the right speed, and gives a smooth transition going into gear. This process matches the revs, and I clutch twice? Which one am I dong?? both??

If I do it right I'll over rev it a few hundred rpms so when I am letting the clutch back out on a downshift the car will actually start accelearting when the clutch grips, then i just hit the gas and boom super smooth downshift/acceleration. But I always called it double clutching, since every time I clutch twice.

And no, I think it only saves sycro ware not clutch.

Simba

Rev match: Shifting directly to a lower gear, while blipping the throttle when the clutch is disengaged.

Double Clutch: Shift from a gear to neutral, engage clutch, blip, disengage clutch, shift to lower gear.

Double clutching doesn't do much for clutch life, but it does make synchros rather happy. It's more of a requirement with race boxes that run straight gears, than on any street car, but most people who do it do it as second nature and don't even think about it.

I double clutch everything but bikes and race cars with sequential boxes.

jprine01

^^ AH Thanks.

Problem with my car is the syncros.
If I am say 3k rpm in 4th gear, and I want to downshift to 3rd so say 5k rpm?
When push the clutch in the input shaft on the trany is spnning 3k rpm and when I shift it into 3rd it has to suddenly speed up to 5k rpm via the sycros. My tranny = ERRR sounds.

Double clutching practicly elimiates all wear on the tranny. I can go from 2.5krpm 4th to 6k rpm in 2nd without the slightest grinding if I goto N and rev the input shaft up.

Its become natural on the alltrac, every downshift even when engine breaking basically. I got it down to like .25sec

1BADGT4

What extends clutch life, is not using it as much as possible. That means shifting without the clutch ... much easier on a bike.

theUNYTEDone

1BADGT4":39zct469 said:
What extends clutch life, is not using it as much as possible. That means shifting without the clutch ... much easier on a bike.

:lol:

dry shifting...to me, it's a ricer trick.

toayoztan

Haha, dry shifting...similar to power shifting. Power shifting (to my knowledge) is holding down the gas, and slamming it to the next gear up..

In any case, rev matching is also good because not only are you jerking you and the passengers, but you're putting more "shock" to ball joints, cv joints, etc. Rev matching helps reduce the shock to these areas.

Bryan

syko says

i cant rev match, i try to, but i cant.. of course my tach doesnt work :( . but sooner or later i will gain that "i am one with my car" feeling and know how much its reving just by sound :smokes:

bloodMoney

Wait so lets go back to this whole powershifting thing for just a moment... Wont powershifting destroy a transmission? I had a friend who used to "powershift" in his viper and, don't get me wrong, it was fast as hell and the throwback from the acceleration was incredible... bu the also destroyed 2nd gear in just under 8,000 miles. Can someone clear this up for me?

-bloodMoney

1BADGT4

As toayoztan said - powershifting and what the others were calling my "dry-shifting" is the same.

There is a point in time where the tranny and the motor has a really light load ... during this time, you simply apply pressure on the shifter and BAM! The stick magically pops outta the gates and into "N."

If done right, without hearing the grind, it does NOT hurt your tranny.

syko - practice this before driving. Drive in gear (+2nd gear), clutch in, "blip" aka rev lightly, and clutch out (with _one_ lower gear). Done. My 165 hasn't been running in .. yrs, but I can remember the gear difference is about 500rpm? (Someone correct me if I'm wrong?)

BTW - How is this a ricer trick? I'm very sure old-school-muscle-car-guys have been using this technique since their era. If not, even older.

Simba

syko says":1a9y2qmm said:
i cant rev match, i try to, but i cant.. of course my tach doesnt work :(

Who needs a tach? You don't need to be exact. Just stab it higher than the input shaft speed for a given gear.

As for power shifting, it does involve the clutch, however one keeps the throttle at WOT. Fairly common in drag racing.

Dry shifting has nothing to do with power shifting, and is done without a clutch. Easy and relatively painless on sequential boxes, on upshifts only. On downshifts, or with a conventional box, dry shifting will destroy it quick.

Mafix

yes there is but it is extremely hard to hit and otherwise pointless to do because it happens on the down side of RPM. you can shit into gears without the clutch but pray the tranny holds up.

1BADGT4

Mafix":3akr0iqh said:
yes there is but it is extremely hard to hit and otherwise pointless to do because it happens on the down side of RPM. you can shit into gears without the clutch but pray the tranny holds up.

I wouldn't say its point-less. Hey, anything that preserves the life of my clutch, I'm for it! It is a #$%& to do my/ our clutches :shoots:.

I'm not sure if you meant at the lower rpms or when the engine is revving-down but, its all over the rpms - it depends on how much throttle/ load.

Mafix":3akr0iqh said:
you can shit into gears without the clutch but pray the tranny holds up.

Like I said ... if one is doing it correctly, nothing negative can happen.
:wink: I've been doing this on my bikes for a total of 14k miles.

Just curious ... have you seen someone do properly?

theUNYTEDone

yes i have. a bunch of my ricer friends brag that they can "dry shift"...so i dont care for it much. there's an easy way to get to neutral...just apply pressure to your stick while driving. if it's no vibrating, then it'll be able to be put into N.

for drag purposes, i do also agree that power shifting is beneficial.

1BADGT4

theUNYTEDone":r9g8e2a7 said:
there's an easy way to get to neutral...just apply pressure to your stick while driving. if it's no vibrating, then it'll be able to be put into N.

Thats the point in time where there is the least amount of load on the motor/ tranny.