does double clutch extend clutch's life?

does double clutching extend clutch life.

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

theUNYTEDone

1BADGT4":3ligwg1r said:
theUNYTEDone":3ligwg1r said:
there's an easy way to get to neutral...just apply pressure to your stick while driving. if it's no vibrating, then it'll be able to be put into N.

Thats the point in time where there is the least amount of load on the motor/ tranny.

i figured as much.

jprine01

Simba":3d9dh9lu said:
Dry shifting has nothing to do with power shifting...
I am supprised so many people thought power shifting was jamming it into gear without using the clutch. It is normal shift but keeping the throttle wide open, I know some people that have broke their tranny power shifting.
I think its mostly done when idiots want to do a burnout in a car that isn't really capable of breaking the tires loose normally and they want to show off.

1BADGT4

jprine01":2xzz0wss said:
Simba":2xzz0wss said:
Dry shifting has nothing to do with power shifting...
I am supprised so many people thought power shifting was jamming it into gear without using the clutch. It is normal shift but keeping the throttle wide open

??? Isn't "power shifting jamming it into gear without using the clutch"? I think you're confused.

How power shifting works is by going WOT, then when fuel cut kicks in = load drops, this allows one to shift to the next gear with little effort. But you gotta be fast enough.

jprine01

"The science of power shifting, which is the act of changing gears with a manual transmission with the engine at wide-open throttle, is a lost art in today's world of air-shifted two-speed Powerglides. Power shifting requires the hand-foot coordination of a tap-dancing juggler because the timing of the hard yank of the shift lever must be carefully synchronized with the minimal application of the clutch pedal to prevent the over-revving of the engine."

syko says

going back to double clutch etc etc

grip addict":306qsmgd said:
not rematching during a downshift is actually called clutch braking

:p

in contrast to rev limiting and saving your tranny.. is 'clutch braking' unhealthy for the tranny??? not that i do it or anything.. just out of curiousuty.

Simba

1BADGT4":2zioxtyj said:
How power shifting works is by going WOT, then when fuel cut kicks in = load drops, this allows one to shift to the next gear with little effort. But you gotta be fast enough.

Power shifting has been around a lot longer than EFI and rev limiters. :)

On a modern car, it's easy. Try it on a carbed big block without blowing something up.

In the old days, you had to be very, very fast in order to power shift properly without popping the engine. These days any idiot can do it.

Simba

syko says":3s3aswvh said:
is 'clutch braking' unhealthy for the tranny???

Assuming you mean downshifting without rev matching, yes, it puts a good deal of stress on the clutch and tranny, and everything else in the driveline.

However, compression braking with a revmatch is fine.

StranD

Hey, I have a totally different idea of what double clutching is compared to Simba's description on the last page...

Double clutch:

engage clutch
shift to neutral
disengage clutch
blip (tap gas to match rev)
engage clutch
shift to lower gear
disengage clutch

I've been doing this for years ever since my uncle taught me how (he drives a 52 Chev with a California kit).

It's a bit like dancing but most of the time you don't really have to use the clutch since the revs are matched up so nicely.

Am I crazy?

toayoztan

toayoztan":1kpsmm0r said:
Haha, dry shifting...similar to power shifting. Power shifting (to my knowledge) is holding down the gas, and slamming it to the next gear up..

In any case, rev matching is also good because not only are you jerking you and the passengers, but you're putting more "shock" to ball joints, cv joints, etc. Rev matching helps reduce the shock to these areas.

Bryan

Hey, i haven't been keeping up with this thread, so i just read all the posts after my reply to this thread. I wanted to edit and clear my comment up. I did mean to say that power shifting was holding down the gas, and slamming it to the next gear up while stabbing the clutch. A lot of honda people do it around here. Maybe that's why some consider it a ricer trick :shrug:

I honestly can admit i can't stab fast enough. Though since i can't afford trannys and clutches, I really don't like to practice to get better right now heh. I just learn to shift as fast as possible...then again, i dont' race much until my car is faster :D

Sorry for any confusion, but I agree, powershifting is stabbing clutch. Dry is no clutch. I haven't actually heard anyone around here dry clutching.

Bryan

Simba

StranD":2fc46scr said:
Hey, I have a totally different idea of what double clutching is compared to Simba's description on the last page...

No, you've got it right, you've just got clutch engagement backwards. Pressing the pedal down does not engage the clutch. It disengages it from the flywheel.