STORY TIME: gettin ripped off

General Chat

Postby chaos_cascade » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:52 am

It is a buyer beware market. And driving without ANY plates is just stupid... especially long distances. You were just asking to be impounded, fined, ect.

I drove from Denver to San Francisco without plates. Why would you make a fake one? People here drive around without plates for months. I wonder what the law is regarding that, it must be different state to state. It takes like a month to actually get them and how exactly are you supposed to get them in the state your in when you purchase a car in another state? I just taped up a copy of the bill of sale in the rear window.
Nobody looked at it twice. :D

a quick Google yields this:

Wisconsin law requires buyers of cars and small trucks (8000 pounds or less) to display a permanent or temporary plate within two business days of purchase.
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
chaos_cascade
Club Member

Postby etantshi » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:57 am

I don't understand the laws of NY, but why is it such a problem not having tags on a newly purchased car? If you have insurance, and a bill of sale/title dated within a certain period of time, WTF is the big deal?
-----
André B.
1991 ST185 (down but not out)
1990 ST185 (lost, but not forgotten)
1996 RZN140 (the daily)
2004 Yamaha R6 (needs a battery)
etantshi
GTFour God

Postby darthripley » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:59 am

we drove home with the Cali plates still on Vadar & kept them on till we got TX plates here.
i've never heard of anyone taking away the old plates till now.
every car we've ever bought used came with plates already on it :shrug:
86 RN66 Hilux 4x4 Turbo Truck "Falcon" 22RTE
87 AW11 MR2 "Super 2" 4AGZE
90 ST185 Celica AllTrac "Vadar" 3SGTE
99 SXV20 Camry "Maul" 5SFE
Female Moderator
darthripley
All Trac Goddess

Postby etantshi » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:29 am

Here in GA when you sell a car and/or cancel the registration you return the plates. I certainly wouldn't want anyone to drive a car around with my registration on it.
-----
André B.
1996 RZN140 (the daily)
etantshi
GTFour God

Postby darthripley » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:10 am

that's interesting.
here in TX you just sell it with the plates on there & when the car is titled you get new plates then.
as long as you get a bill of sale & other documents you're covered if the new owner turns out to be unscrupulous.
you just can't sell a car with a personalized plate.
i kept Vadar's Cali plates actually b/c they still had the original dealership plastic surround where the car was purchased in 1990.
i actually have a bunch of old car plates ... it's hell being a packrat :oops:
86 RN66 Hilux 4x4 Turbo Truck "Falcon" 22RTE
87 AW11 MR2 "Super 2" 4AGZE
90 ST185 Celica AllTrac "Vadar" 3SGTE
99 SXV20 Camry "Maul" 5SFE
Female Moderator
darthripley
All Trac Goddess

Postby etantshi » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:43 am

darthripley wrote:that's interesting.
here in TX you just sell it with the plates on there & when the car is titled you get new plates then.
as long as you get a bill of sale & other documents you're covered if the new owner turns out to be unscrupulous.
you just can't sell a car with a personalized plate.
i kept Vadar's Cali plates actually b/c they still had the original dealership plastic surround where the car was purchased in 1990.
i actually have a bunch of old car plates ... it's hell being a packrat :oops:

I dunno.. you may be covered, but it seems like a lot of hassle to go through though.

On a side note........ after you give someone your old tag, and they get a new tag... would the tag office need to print another tag to replace the one that was 'lost'? Seems like an inefficient way to blow tax dollars.
-----
André B.
1996 RZN140 (the daily)
etantshi
GTFour God

Postby Hotrodhendrix » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:45 pm

There is actually a form you have to fill out and send in here in Texas that states you no longer own the car. Found that out after my brother sold his car and the new owner got a few tickets which came to my brother. Needless to say he wasnt very happy...
"The more you let life's obstacles slow you down the longer it will take to defeat them."
~Yours truly
Hotrodhendrix
GTFour God

Postby WarTowels » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:28 pm

Every car I've ever purchased (4 total) the previous owners have taken the plates. I always just run plates from another car, so I don't stand out.

In maine/ny afaik, you buy the car, register/insure it and get plates for it- THEN you put them on the car and drive away.

-Towels
2003 S2000
1985 300TD
WarTowels
Gold GTfour God

Postby etantshi » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:47 pm

WarTowels wrote:In maine/ny afaik, you buy the car, register/insure it and get plates for it- THEN you put them on the car and drive away.

-Towels

That seems very silly in my opinion. So if you buy a car from a dealership you have to wait till you register it before you drive it away? Or if you buy a car from a private owner on the weekend you have to wait until at least monday before you can drive the car? Seems rather unusual.
-----
André B.
1996 RZN140 (the daily)
etantshi
GTFour God

Postby WarTowels » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:19 pm

It's quite normal, actually.

Dealers give you temp plates. Private party's do not.

-Towels
2003 S2000
1985 300TD
WarTowels
Gold GTfour God

Postby wannabe toms racer » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:42 pm

dude bein a packrat is a very good thing IMO, ya never know when ya might need something or help someone else out along the way. ofcourse the storage of such treasure is always a hassle, heh
Adam 'Akiba' Armstrong
90 audi 80 quattro- new projekt
Stubborn ass '91 alltrac - traded!
dont let ANYONE fool you money CAN buy happiness...
OR at least SUPPORT it...
wannabe toms racer
Established Member

1991 Toyota Celica

Postby etantshi » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:40 am

WarTowels wrote:It's quite normal, actually.

Dealers give you temp plates. Private party's do not.

-Towels

So if you buy from a private party, you're just SOL till monday when you can register the car. Seems like the state gov favors dealers over private sellers.
-----
André B.
1996 RZN140 (the daily)
etantshi
GTFour God

Postby WarTowels » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:58 am

^I guess so.

I don't think waiting a maximum of 2 days is the end of the world though.

And/or just drive it illegally.

We have less than 1.5 Million people in the entire state, so, sometimes the laws are either extremely cool, or very nonsensical.

-Towels
2003 S2000
1985 300TD
WarTowels
Gold GTfour God

Postby ___Scott___ » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:41 pm

WarTowels wrote:Every car I've ever purchased (4 total) the previous owners have taken the plates. I always just run plates from another car, so I don't stand out.

Sure, that helps the not standing out part, but if you do get pulled over for something and the cop runs the plate, which he certainly will, he won't even listen to an explanation, he'll just impound the car. At least, I've been told, that's the way it works around here.

Sometimes you get lucky buying a car out of state. I bought my gray 165 in California. The seller was cool about letting me keep the plates. He just needed the paperwork for the local DMV saying he didn't own the car anymore, a release of liability waiver or some such thing. I flew in to LAX, the seller picked me up there and we drove up the street to a branch of his bank where we exchanged paperwork. Then I was off to Colorado. No real problems. The car did suck down a huge amount of oil (it seems like I added 5qts), but somewhere between Richfield, UT and Grand Junction, CO it just quit using oil and hasn't used much since. Based on that experience, I'd say an occasional road trip is a good thing.

So, buying a used car out of state is like buying in-state. You still have to know what you are buying and expect a few problems.
Scott
Colorado Springs, CO - USA
SONY
Opera - The better browser
___Scott___
Established Member

Postby 90blacktrac » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:19 pm

Just wanted to add my story which is fairly similar bought my first "Trac" in michigan about two years ago off ebay from a guy who had one sittin around since before the wife and kids, he said it ran good the last time he had driven it which was like a year prior to him parking it! So my being yong and stupid I decided to go with some buddies in my jetta from north central Iowa and pick it up and drive it home! Hey it's only a 16 year old car(at the time) with over 190k on the odo what could go wrong. After gettin there and finding it had a bad battery I got a new one and took an around the block test drive, decided i was in love with it and handed over the check. Five minutes later I was on the interstate goin 125 having a ball. The trip thru Chicago was a blast, due to construction we got forced onto every toll road, the speed pass lane works very well when you don't care cause you don't have plates on the car. Then late at night just inside iowa we started running into trouble got pulled over twice once cause the lady cop thought my lights were flickering on and off(they worked fine i was just whipping 360's cause i was lost and pissed) and the second time cause of the no plates not a ticket from either and they didn't even check my liscense which was very lucky for me cause i had an intermediate license and it was invalid by that time of night. After that we got back on the avenue of the saints and my left front caliper fell off in the middle of a monsoon type thunderstorm also my sunroof wouldn't close and we didn't have any type of screwdriver to close it with. We kept on goin praying for the best and made it home somtime around sun-up!

Oh and about the license plate issue i've been using the plates from my old pick-up(now crushed) on my new truck(had a scraping title put on it from the previous owner) for about 5 years now and the government still hasn't figured it out, I guess Iowa is a little more relaxed than most states!
90blacktrac
Club Member

PreviousNext

Return to Club Chat