How does your turbo/car feel?

Corey

Well, im pretty bummed right now... why?

Because with Ben in my car (220 lbs + 135 lbs): From a rolling start, my car scored a 10 second 0-100!!

WTF

From 60-100, starting in second, i got 4 seconds.

We then tried my mom's 140bhp 2002 Accord coupe.

Also 10 seconds to 100. But 7 seconds from 60-100. weird

Im thoroughly pissed about this. 6 grand, and twice the HP and my car is no quicker than my mom's honda.

:cry:

how the hell did the factory get a time of 6.7 seconds stock with the european model (205 bhp) according to Tiff (top gear)???

Dracov

My 165 is, well, gutless in first. Not nearly enough engine load to even get 2PSI of boost. Comes alive in 2nd through 4th though. A friend of a friend recently picked up a Galant VR4, which seems like a pretty even match at the moment...I need to correct that. :evil:

WarTowels

I just put in a JDM ecu, who knows if that helps, and I upped it one PSI to 13. Last night it was nice and cold and it was much much better.

Need more mods though.

-Towels

Mafix

one fo these days i'll finish building my new motor. then i'll let you guys know what 28psi feels like.

sims

normally it runs great, I was spiking to 14 PSI with just a full 3' exhaust and DP. pulled hard and felt strong until 5K when the turbo craps out on you.

However since installin my bay area TMIC and HKS SSQV my car has ran horribly, and it has continued to do so even after swaping the original intercooler on(no BOV) it does feel a litle better with the stock, but still runs horribly :cry:

trying my best to sort it out, i've been busy and it has only come up recently. if feels like there is a serious vacuum leak, but the car stays stable at 19 HG when warn which is what it was at before, and still makes it to around 12-13 PSI, allthough it builds the boost very slowly.

the car also idles poorly and wants to stall well cold, once its warm it runs ok, but the idle isn't consistant like it should be, before it sat at 800 RPM perfectly, now it dips between 700-900 and sometimes even 1000RPM right after coming to a stop and then seems to stablize around 700.

Nothing has changed other then putting on the BOV and new TMIC and the issue persists even with the OEM TMIC, allthough less bad.

the car runs REALLY poorly well cold and gets better as it warms up.
it also reads from 10-15 HG well it warms up.

There must be a vacuum leak or something, but I haven't been able to find anything, and have no idea how adding a BOV and intercooler could cause this. I know that the rubber couplers did get streched due to the pipes on the BA TMIC being to large, so maybe there is an air leak there, but I have the clamps on very tightly.

:doh: :shoots: :shrug:

CSAlltrac

How come nobody is keeping in mind our cars were not built for straight line crap.......put our cars on a road with a ton of turns and it will be up there with some of the best today........Allthough when i ran my car i pulled a 13.9 @ like 98MPH pretty respectable for 16 years old.......mine is rebuilt with mostly stock stuff with about 30000 on the rebuild.I also think that we probably get used to how they pull beacuse i too think mine feels like it has slow days. :shrug:

silverarrow

Keep in mind also that there are more straightaways than curves. My opinion wou be to have a car that is quick on the straights first then curves later. Who around here races around a mountain like Initial D? Everyone mostly is at a stoplight/stop sign, highway runs, etc etc...

Nearest race tracks are hours away.

gt4tified

^^^ not if you auto-x. :p

If my gt4 ever feels sluggish, I just fill up with some 95 RON, add a little race gas and open her up on all gears... and the ecu wakes up!

Corey

Ive been adding ~97 PON Oct to my car for the past couple days now.

Definately a difference.

I've been comparing my car to my buddies RX7 we just finished rebuilding.

Given that its about 600 lbs lighter than my car. 1200 kg vs 1460 kg (and his is 50/50 too) And has about 40 more HP, I've decided that im pretty happy with the performance of my car.

We've gone on two cruises together now, on the straights, its no contest, his 0-60 in 5 seconds owns my 8 seconds, but in the twisties... :) Mine may look like its going to flip over in a corner (stock suspension) but it grips like its the end of the world.

He still says he hasnt really opened it up in the twisties yet. I wish he would, so i can see how they really compare, but he's waiting for an alignment.

If you want an insanely fast car, get an FD. If you want a great, Fast Daily driver, we cant go wrong with our cars.

Dracov

I'm glad I live where I do, having an Alltrac. Mountains are just 20 minutes away, brimming with twisty dirt roads ;) It's my first turbo car, so to me it's fast. And for the moment I really don't care what else is out there. I have my dream car, that's all that matters to me.

Simba

Stock, or mostly stock, the cars are dog slow and feel sluggish compared to an Audi A3 or the like. They also handle and brake like crap compared to other stuff that's out there.

With a big turbo, mine pulls pretty hard up top. No where near what the Supra does with a BFT, but they're entirely different cars, and unsurprisingly, feel entirely different.

If you want pinned-in-seat acceleration in an AT, you're either spending a hell of a lot of money making it fast, or on your way to breaking something expensive. Still, throwing the thing into corners at WOT and passing powerful RWD cars pussy-footing around the same corner has its amusement.

solarinsocal

I have a CT26 60 Trim at 14 and I can walk on Mustang GT's to about 100. I've got decent acceleration in first, second, and third, but get into fourth and forget it. I'm in the midst of a build right now with a larger turbo and we'll see what happens. Like Simba said, if you want a kick in the pants get a Supra with a BFT.

E_Knight

mine used to be fast i thought, now it feels a stock lx corolla could wipe the floor with me.

I never get out of cold boost mode, plus I believe its time to change the 18 year old cat in the back
My wife's beetle turboS is much quicker 1.8T with 180 hp

grip addict

Corey Darling":3mdav6c6 said:
He still says he hasnt really opened it up in the twisties yet. I wish he would, so i can see how they really compare, but he's waiting for an alignment.

not calling anyone a bad driver or anything but if its an fd then he should be toasting your ass. there are few cars that i feel more comfortable and confident driving than a last gen rx7. the only time things get squirrely on me is when the second turbo kicks on... but i'm not ususally mashing the pedal until the last few feet of a corner.

i agree tho, our cars seem to plow through most corners with relative ease. its the awd letting you abuse your car beyond what is normally possible :) though, i've noticed going from one car to another, after i really start to push the envelope in the celica i feel "numb" to my rx7's feel and response.
i really wonder what a nice suspension will do to the feel of my car. next autox season, hopefully...