Where to go from here..

General Chat

Where to go from here..

Postby kmorrow » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:37 pm

I have spent the past 18 months on and off again working on this st165. The body has been repainted, I'm almost done buffing it out, and the engine has been rebuilt. I have put less than 100 miles on the engine prior to driving to work today. Last week I put on new tires, a new exhaust.

So.. on my way to work - I keep losing power, and hear some slight engine noise. No biggie - must be just bad gas. Temp gauge is right in the middle. I go about another 6 blocks and I lose engine power. Startr it back up and there is a nasty knock from the head. I check the coolant - pretty low - and no coolant coming thru the head back into the radiator that I can feel in the hose.

Gut feeling is - not thru the breakin period, rings may be shot, pistons may be damaged, may be looking at another rebuild. I'll know more this weekend when I pull the top off.

Honestly guys - I'm worn out on this project. The body is beautiful. I have 17" rims with brand new tires. Like I said - the engine was just done with new pistons, rings, mains, rods bearings, gaskets, etc... I have put a lot of money into this - but I'm just exhausted by this latest disappointment.

I bleed the cooling system just last week because I had a host pop off in the driveway (poor clamp job). The only thing I can figure is that I must not have bled it good enough to get enough into the head - the heater will not blow hot.

Anyway...

Like I said - I am at the point that I'm ready to sell it @ a loss. I have 3 young ones that need my attention more than a project. I just don't have the heart to put anymore into it - I'm so disappointed.

Here's what I have: 88 trac - 6 month old spectra blue paint. Two turbos - 1 good, one needs rebuild. 2 blocks, and 3 heads. The other engine was pulled w/ 200K on it. Brand new tires, new magnlaflow exhaust. Like I said - It's beautiful.

If someone offered me the right kind of money - I would let this go. I'm not looking at any $1000 low balls. Consider how much it would cost you to finish just the outside and you will know what will make me interested.

Shoot me a pm and we'll talk.

Billings, Montana

:cry:
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
kmorrow
Club Member

Postby grip addict » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:53 pm

sorry to hear that man. i'm not interested in buying, but i do love to see pics of a beautiful 165. there just aren't that many around anymore. i think you should do more investigation before considering selling. why not just put it on the side and come back to it when you have spare time?
i need to warn everyone-
ATSAaron wrote:You specifically told Matt that "some kid dumped sand into my motor."

don't let some kid dump sand into your motor.
grip addict
Established Member

Postby kmorrow » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:59 pm

I may do that - sit it over the winter. I think I need to put it away for the summer at least. I'll post up some pics later this week.
kmorrow
Club Member

Postby MacGyver » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:17 pm

i agree. dont sell it. i have had so many problems with mine one after another. that is half the fun of these cars. just think a few years from now you will know every little thing about the car and thus be a better driver for it.
MacGyver
Club Member

Postby etantshi » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:34 pm

What kind of HG did you use? Did you use ARP head studs?
-----
André B.
1991 ST185 (down but not out)
1990 ST185 (lost, but not forgotten)
1996 RZN140 (the daily)
2004 Yamaha R6 (needs a battery)
etantshi
GTFour God

Postby jonstew » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:41 pm

ah; the All-Trac "drop your pants and grab your ankles" tax, (I am currently on a payment plan myself). It's just part of owning one of these cars and although it hurts now you will kick yourself if you put the car up for adoption and someone else completes the project. This kind of crap is what owning a car you will rarely if never pull up next to at a stoplight is all about....it's all the problems that make these become part of you but it does seem like the honeymoon they have with your wallet is over pretty quickly even if you are not done busting your knuckles on rusty bolts in the engine bay.
~John Stewart
Indianapolis, IN.
'93 ST185
'88 ST162 (this car will run again....I think)
'02 Tacoma
'03 IS300 SportDesign
'02 Mercedes-Benz C320 Wagon (ole unreliable)
jonstew
Club Member

Postby l00k0v3rth3r3 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:59 pm

i agree dont sell, i waited 6 years to find/afford in my budget a st185 and now that i have it, i wouldn't dream of selling it. i def. think you would regret it. best of luck!
Gabe
1990 Maroon AllTrac RC Swap - up and running
1990 Red AllTrac - under the knife
1990 Maroon Audi 90 Quattro
1998 Toyota 4runner Limited
1979 Jeep CJ-5 - Off-Road Machine
1991 Mazda Miata 1.8l
1953 Dodge B4B 1/2 Ton Pick up - Currently Lawn Art
l00k0v3rth3r3
Club Member

Postby Hotrodhendrix » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:32 pm

Keep her. You know you want to...
It took me 6 years also to find and fund an alltrac. I started when I was 15.
"The more you let life's obstacles slow you down the longer it will take to defeat them."
~Yours truly
Hotrodhendrix
GTFour God

Postby l00k0v3rth3r3 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:39 pm

i started at 15 as well, haha
Gabe
1990 Maroon AllTrac RC Swap - up and running
1990 Red AllTrac - under the knife
1990 Maroon Audi 90 Quattro
1998 Toyota 4runner Limited
1979 Jeep CJ-5 - Off-Road Machine
1991 Mazda Miata 1.8l
1953 Dodge B4B 1/2 Ton Pick up - Currently Lawn Art
l00k0v3rth3r3
Club Member

Postby kmorrow » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:14 pm

Alright - I'm settling down a bit but still in a state of serious denial. I brought it home last night and will - -maybe - tear into it this weekend.
It sounds like a nasty knock in the head. What the heck would that be - a dropped valve?
My buddy encouraged me. He's a Cummins mechanic - he said - try having that happen to someone elses $20k engine that you just put back together. Touche'

Only thing I can think is that there was an air lock in the radiator - but I still don't know what the gauge didn't go above mid level. Not encouraging when I got to start it up again. Sheisse...
kmorrow
Club Member

Postby jlspec » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:28 pm

Did you rebuild the head along with the block? Just asking because you mention parts for the block but not the head. Also very important, did you use OEM parts or aftermarket?
jlspec
Club Member

Postby kmorrow » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:54 pm

Pistons, rings, bearings all NPR. The head I got from a guy that said it had been rebuilt. It was very clean and in better condition than my other head. I'm pretty sure I was the problem not the car - but I guess I'l lfind out this weekend when I pull it out
kmorrow
Club Member

Postby Wicked Toys » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:27 am

Definately sucks to hear but let us know what you find.. And I agree with the others to not sell.
Wicked Toys
Club Member

Postby kmorrow » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:58 pm

okay - I think that it spun a rod bearing. I haven't pulled the pan yet - but all indications are that it has. Oil has shiny little pieces in it - there are nice little parts in the head, oil filter, etc..

So.. I'm going to pull the engine, disassemble, and have the crank and rods looked at for damage. My guess is that it is just one (hopefully).
Question - obviously I'm going to clean EVERYTHING that the oil touches, but assuming that I get the rod and crank fixed - is the block going to be alright so long as I get all those pieces out?

Thanks.

I'm not going to sell it - just was having a heart attack :)
kmorrow
Club Member

Return to Club Chat