curious newbie

darthripley

turbo4wd":3c88ov2k said:
Integra's are the antithesis of Alltracs.. They're cheap to buy, cheap to own, easy to maintain, and there are tons of aftermarket parts available.

The engines are bulletproof if kept NA, and they're easy to make fast..

I thought about getting one myself as a daily driver..

that's true but look into a GSR model ... the LS non vtec motor in Joe's Teg was just as slow as my Camry.
we were dead even & his Teg was a 5spd with i/h/e + suspension mods.
he never could pull away from me ... it was just the typical torqueless wonder that typifies most honda motors.

one thing about an Integra ... your insurance is going to be through the roof since it is #1 on most insurance stolen car lists.
the insurance on Joe's old Teg cost as much as our MR2 + my Camry put together both have full coverage.
not only that we're both older than the original poster with clean driving records.

the amount of money we save in insurance every year by NOT having the Teg outweighs even how much we spend on the alltrac in a year.

that's one thing to take into consideration when shopping for a car ... your parents should get an insurance quote beforehand imho unless cost is not a concern for them.

WarTowels

Hmmm.

Tejas is different Ripley, friend of mine from Maine moved to Fort Worth, and with the same driving record pays 2-3 times as much for insurance as he did in Maine. It's all about the how many people there are, or aren't and the risks ect. I pay $32 a month on the Alltrac on full coverage. Which, I think is pretty cheap.

On anther note, my friend has a 1990 Integra (a bit of a piece, it's rusted bad) but he bought it for $400 and it's lasted 2 years, and I'm quite certain he pays jack on insurance on it. Though they are in fact one of the most stolen cars- we are talking about Maine here.

And honestly... Maine is the most harmless state... cept for maybe Alaska- and only because it's so cold to do anything. :evil:

Maine is practically Canada- there's hardly any auto crime or domestic crime. Though I do lock, and garage my Alltrac, so no stealing!

From statefarm.com:

The National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB®) has compiled a list of the 10 vehicles most frequently reported stolen in the U.S. in 2005.

1. 1991 Honda Accord
2. 1995 Honda Civic
3. 1989 Toyota Camry
4. 1994 Dodge Caravan
5. 1994 Nissan Sentra
6. 1997 Ford F150 Series
7. 1990 Acura Integra
8. 1986 Toyota Pickup
9. 1993 Saturn SL
10. 2004 Dodge Ram Pickup

Quite frankly, I doubt any of the applies to Maine. :D

-Towels

darthripley

WarTowels":2k1vg0sh said:
Tejas is different Ripley, friend of mine from Maine moved to Fort Worth, and with the same driving record pays 2-3 times as much for insurance as he did in Maine. It's all about the how many people there are, or aren't and the risks ect. I pay $32 a month on the Alltrac on full coverage. Which, I think is pretty cheap.

that is very true Towels - each state is very different indeed.

Joe's Teg was a '96 model and all the way up until he got rid of it, the insurance was comparable to that of a new Vette, new STi & Evo for full coverage.

down here pickup trucks are the most stolen since there are SO many, and as far as cars go Tegs & Civics come in next.
Joe's Teg was broken into twice & an auto-x friend of ours had a clean EG Civic Si which was stolen & recovered as a unibody, stripped completely bare.

on the other hand, the insurance on our Alltrac is very cheap - 3/4 of what the Teg was every 6 months & we have a stated value policy for Vadar & R2.

Slink

WarTowels":2eyk12hj said:
Maine is practically Canada- there's hardly any auto crime or domestic crime. Though I do lock, and garage my Alltrac, so no stealing!

-Towels

Um,.. it's kind of flattering that you say this... :)
but just so everyone knows (In case you visit us!) Lock your doors etc! Esp. in BC. Some ICBC (crown corp. insurance in BC) Stats.

On an average day in BC*:

* 44 vehicles are stolen
* 70 vehicles are broken into

:doh: :cry: Yes we have a problem actually...

And the top stolen list (in order) for giggles:

Honda Civic
Chrysler Caravan/Voyager
Honda Accord
Jeep Cherokee
Chrysler Neon (Don't ask me why. If I had one of these I would want someone to steal it)
Toyota Camry
Nissan Pathfinder
Ford F-Series
Dodge Ram
Mazda B2600 pickup

1st Car. I vote Celica GTS, Mazda precidia MX-3 (too girly?) 240sx...

chaos_cascade

1st Car. I vote

I vote something not fast that handles decent. My best friend in high school got a 68 camaro with a hurst shifter, one rear shock, one wheel drive for his sixteenth birthday. We spent more time in ditches then on the road. And it drank gas like a fish breathes water.

TomsGT4

Hey man, I just don't feel right about sending you away for a different car without putting in another pitch for you to find an Alltrac :)
When I first got my car I knew how to change the oil, washer fluid & a spare tire. That's pretty much it. I have never, and I mean NEVER learned so much about one thing than with this car. Every time I did something to it, it just got faster, and faster, and handled better and better.

You said it yourself... "It'd be great if i could buy a car that i could learn how to work on cars on."
That is EXACTLY the reason I got this car. Now I can pretty much work on anything out there (except changing the alternator on a Ford Contour).

Parts are pretty good for price if you're a member here (we kind of look out for each other), and if you also have access (and are willing to) rummage around in a scrap yard once & a while.

Anyhow heh well, gave it a shot.

LegacyofDan

-Towels

around where here that wont stop the sneaky basterds, esp in the city like Reading or Philly, thats why i have several kill switches VERY well hidden separately in my car, fuel pump, coil, ignition, and one more but its classified :wink: ....even tho she is on jacks right now anyway...but still no fuel, no spark, no starter and no.....your not going anywhere in my car

but may sound stupid to some of you guys, but i learned alot off from my lil honda accord, granted it was FWD and N/A but still i learned about the real basics of car's and maintaining them, as well as trying to squeeze out every lil bit of horsepower u can on a tight teenage budget...my dear lil F22A was very forgiving of me until i took her on a dirt road going about 60....moral of the story...buy a honda for your first car, learn about cars, flip it(i was a dumb*ss), and then save up for the alltrac:D

thats my two cents :)

darthripley

according to the NICB ( National Insurance Crime Bureau )
these are the top 10 most stolen vehicles nationwide

1. 1995 Honda Civic
2. 1991 Honda Accord
3. 1989 Toyota Camry
4. 1997 Ford F-150 Series Pickup
5. 1994 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Pickup
6. 1994 Acura Integra
7. 2004 Dodge Ram Pickup
8. 1994 Nissan Sentra
9. 1988 Toyota Pickup
10. 2007 Toyota Corolla

NICB lists these as the top stolen cars in Maine:

1. 2002 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Pickup
2. 1998 Ford F150 Series
3. 2001 Jeep (Grand) Cherokee
4. 2004 GMC Sierra
5. 1999 Pontiac Grand Am
6. 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix
7. 1997 Ford Taurus
8. 1997 Ford Explorer
9. 2001 Dodge Ram Pickup
10. 1996 GMC C/K 1500 Pickup

94+ Integra's ALWAYS show up on these statewide compiled lists & they are on lists insurance companies use to determine premiums.
Joe was told this when he asked why full coverage on his Integra was the same as a brand new Corvette Z06, Evo, or STi... cars all obviously worth more than an Integra.

just saying that was our experience in Texas.