So sad, engine dying

zerosanity

okay, well I found out what that plastic hitting metal sound was... it was plastic hitting metal

I was driving back home from work and in a turn my car started making a really loud scrapeing noise. Aparently the plastic protective cover on the bottom ripped off and got dragged under the tire. Freaked me out thought something broke. I jumped outta the car, grabbed the thing and ripped it out, then tossed it in the trunk and jumped back in. The thing is all cracked and torn up now. Question is, do I really need it? It seems like it would keep a lot of dirt and crap out of the engine bay. Should I try to order a new one? Or should I just forget it and take the half that is still on the car off?

The car does'nt sputter in power at all anymore, I think it was just from the new engine breaking in a bit. My friend looked at the leak and said I could just melt part of a penny to seal the hole since it was so small.

So should I replace the plastic cover on the bottom or just leave it?

Sifu

Good work on getting it up and running...

It's funny how many mechanics give you a quote then realize what they've gotten themselves into...