turbo paint?

wuznt quite sure where to put this as my searching didnt really yield much info, so i just posted here. im gonna be doin my ex mani and dp and im wondering is there a high heat paint that will hold up to the turbine sides heat? powder coat maybe? :shrug: im sick of looking at that rusty thing man... a nice flat black or grey would be ideal for me, im not too picky, i jus want a cleaner looking engine bay... i thought about it and figured if the factory didnt paint it maybe there isnt anything i can do bout it, but i figure i might as well check it out while its gonna be all torn apart. thanx as always, and please move this post to a better home if need be lol.

bluemonkey

You could get it ceramic coated, or you could just take it off and clean it up yourself but good luck finding paint that will stay nice with that much heat. LMK if you do find one though.

tissimo

BBQ grill paint might hold up. I recomend ceramic coating though. Cut down on the under hood heat and looks better.

ceramic coating... hmmm you gotta bake that on huh... would i have to take the turbo apart to do that or would i be able to keep it all together?

Perfect! It says itl stand up to 1500 degrees ferenhiet so i think thatl do. Thanx guys! now i jus gotta see if carquest will order it for me haha. Ill b postin sum pics of the work when i do the mani and dp so ill let you guys know how it works!

Hotrodhendrix

I use that on my VR4 exhaust parts and it works great. I dont notice much of a heat reduction but it does look better. I still dont know if it will hold up well on a turbo though. Post up pics and updates once you get it done.

LegacyofDan

i have tried 2 dif kinds of stuff...i have gray VHT on my muffler, and it seems to work fine, it didnt bake off or anything, but when u cure it, u cant miss the smell...kinda smells really bad in my opinion...but it will go away eventually

and i have :

http://www.designengineering.com/produc ... =sp&pid=13

on my exhaust manifold(1 can)+heat wrap
on my stock dp and gutted cat(1 can)

the smell is worse with this stuff....i have not really gotten to drive my car with it on there....i just let it idle(no brakes)...but the paint seems to be sticking fine...so far...

i dont notice much heat reduction....lil bit with DEI and heat wrap tho

WarTowels

I don't think any paint you can buy at the store will last for long.

I would either get a turbo blanket, or get it professionally coated (ceramic, or high temp powders)

-Towels

LegacyofDan

bluemonkey":iafy286e said:
I'm planning on sanding mine down and then polishing it. How long should I expect that to last?

considering if its stock cast iron...not very long...a couple rain storms should rust it up pretty fast...

bluemonkey

Anyone know of a high temp paint that is clear? I figure, clear coat will seal it to keep rust away like I plan on doing to a few other parts.

LegacyofDan

autozone sells a crap ton of VHT paint...and i think(not 100% sure) they have a clear color for their flameproof header paint...i think!

WarTowels

I would not clear coat a polished- anything, unless you are willing to risk having your hard work look crappy.

As is, polished metal will turn different colors upon heating, but should still look pretty cool.

It will turn gold and tarnish when it heats up, happened to my heat shield. <-- The clear coat that is.*

-Towels

mx6er2587

sorry but cast iron will just rust over in a matter of days. Don't waste your time trying to polish it.

A mild steel heat shield is a lot different then a cast iron turbo or manifold

mx6er2587

Hotrodhendrix":1p3zlfe2 said:
My SS manifold did the same. Then it turned blue.. then purple... Then it actually glowed at one time. :evil:

my first turbo adapter did that. then it cracked 2/3's of the way around :doh:

My next one was a lot thicker :wink:

LegacyofDan

oh yeah! /\ i second that...the metal properties of steel and cast iron are...welll...very different. u will just rust really fast with cast