ST165 Owners unite! (Toyota museum error)

RedCelicaTRD

Ok, look at the stat sheet on the st185 they have in the Toyota Museum in SoCal:

3039866867_8009becee5_b.jpg

Notice it says 1990 is the first year for the "All-Trac" 4-wheel drive? Someone draft up a nice letter that we can send to them informing them of their mistake (or find out why st165s aren't All Tracs).

I'd do it but I'm to lazy and I can't type good :twisted:

APPOLLING!!!(sp?lol) thats fuct dude theyre a MUSEUM!!! they of all people should know these things..... for shame... SUMONE BITCH im not good wit wordification either :oops: lol

gtfourdreams

There. Someone proof-read it and have Robert Pina send it off. HEHE :D

-------------------
Dear Susan Sanborn,

I am writing on behalf of many Toyota enthusiasts and Celica All-Trac owners. It has recently come to our attention that the Toyota Museum has made a printing error on one of their information signs currently on display in the museum.

The sign is displayed a 1990 Toyota Celica All-Trac (model ST185). On the second bullet, it reads "First year for 'All-Trac' 4-wheel drive". This information is actually false. The first year for the 'All-Trac' 4-wheel drive was available in 1988 with the introduction of the original 1988 Toyota Celica All-Trac (model st165).

Of course this mistake may just be a simple oversight. However, it would make many 1988-89 Celica All-Trac owners very happy to know that their vehicles-the pride and joy of their lives-has not been forgotten in history.

We appreciate your understanding and comradery in quickly addressing this issue.

Sincerely,

ST165 All-trac Owners

gtfourdreams

i dont think i have ever seen a true 1987 in the states, although I have seen an 89.

the 87's have the pre-facelift and 89's have the perpendicular rear wiper. (as opposed to horizontal on previous years) isn't that the verdict?

also, since i have the lowest known vin# in the states and it is an 88. i don't think 87s came in usa.

LegacyofDan

hmmm well i will check my one white 165, since i would of sworn it said that it was born DEC 87...not 100% sure...but pretty sure...could be wrong tho :)

Shaggz00

Even if it was Dec. 87, that would still be a 1988 model year car. I think models switch over in what, October?

I sent her an e-mail a little while ago, I got this response from her:

" Hi,
>
> Thanks for your e-mail.
>
> Do you think the museum sign means that it is the first all-trac Celica???
> or could that be wrong also?
>
> Susan"

To which I replied,

" The first Celica All-Trac was introduced as a 1988 (ST165) model in the US. Perhaps instead of that sentence, it could give a nod to the the All-Trac's racing background. Something along the lines of "A race-prepared version of the fifth generation Celica All-Trac was driven to four consecutive World Rally Championship (WRC) victories in 1992, 1993, 1994, and 1995. The fifth generation Celica rally car was Toyota's most successful rally car. " and perhaps include a photo of the ST-185 Group-A rally car ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Toyo ... _rally.jpg ).
Also, the line about Turbocharged/intercooled, I think that could be removed, and moved to the specifications side where it says "Engine:". It could be changed to "Engine: EFI Turbocharged, 4 cylinder, DOHC". Then you could also add a "Drivetrain:" line to the specs, which can say something like "All-Trac full time all wheel drive". That would take care of the All-Trac line that was deleted.
I could talk about the All-Trac all day long! haha. Thanks for your time, I look forward to visiting one day!

Regards,
-Avi Guzman"

I haven't heard back from her yet, maybe she's just catching up from the holiday or something.

LegacyofDan

Shaggz00":t4nd8bv0 said:
Even if it was Dec. 87, that would still be a 1988 model year car. I think models switch over in what, October?

alrighty...well i will still post a pic of it, and let u experts battle it out :p

Shaggz00":t4nd8bv0 said:
I sent her an e-mail a little while ago, I got this response from her:

" Hi,
>
> Thanks for your e-mail.
>
> Do you think the museum sign means that it is the first all-trac Celica???
> or could that be wrong also?
>
> Susan"

To which I replied,

" The first Celica All-Trac was introduced as a 1988 (ST165) model in the US. Perhaps instead of that sentence, it could give a nod to the the All-Trac's racing background. Something along the lines of "A race-prepared version of the fifth generation Celica All-Trac was driven to four consecutive World Rally Championship (WRC) victories in 1992, 1993, 1994, and 1995. The fifth generation Celica rally car was Toyota's most successful rally car. " and perhaps include a photo of the ST-185 Group-A rally car ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Toyo ... _rally.jpg ).
Also, the line about Turbocharged/intercooled, I think that could be removed, and moved to the specifications side where it says "Engine:". It could be changed to "Engine: EFI Turbocharged, 4 cylinder, DOHC". Then you could also add a "Drivetrain:" line to the specs, which can say something like "All-Trac full time all wheel drive". That would take care of the All-Trac line that was deleted.
I could talk about the All-Trac all day long! haha. Thanks for your time, I look forward to visiting one day!

Regards,
-Avi Guzman"

I haven't heard back from her yet, maybe she's just catching up from the holiday or something.

haha sweet, hopefully they fix it :)

gtfourdreams

legacyofDan: just go look at the title for the car and see what it says. :twisted:

im willing to bet all of pretty JDM girlfriends that it is an 88 :)

GMan

Bless her Heart. Susan Does have access to researchers working
Toyota Motor Corp, and has access to The Toyota Auto Museum and
Library in Nagoya.

But things are slow to change and she is Very busy with shows and appearances...
I have posted, told her in person (at SW 2005 MR2 meet) and thru
letters about the ST165 All-Tracs.

Even sent her notices when they come up for sale Cheap and
Down the street from Torrance. Little good has it done. :(

Maybe when someone Donates an '88 or a rare '89 ST165 to her Museum
will the information improve ? Hell I'd donate a decent example,
If I had the $$$.

Unlike the Toyota Museum of Nagoya, Japan with Endless $$$;
The US museum is very limited in what it can do. She has to write
proposals Before she can buy... Unless something is Donted; her
hands are tied. :roll:

How many CA guys have visted the Torrance, CA Museum ?
I have had the chance and is very worth it. The outside is just
warehouse. Inside Magic. :)

Regards;

GMan

> gtfourdreams
> Location: Minneapolis, MN
> Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:31 pm
> hmm.. if that's the case, can't we just donate her a new sign? LOL

That is Thinking outside the box. :lol:
The Sign is at Least 3+ years old anyways.

Regards;