Terrible Gas Mileage

Dups90gt

Greg_Canada":27l43k75 said:
Dups90gt":27l43k75 said:
shit im really starting to dream about a 300zx NA .... or TT... maybe i need another car..

greg where do you live?
427/qew

Damn your close, im at Hurontario and Burnhamthorp. In front of Square one.
I'd like to see your car sometime.

Greg_Canada

My buddy said they get together at timmies at mavis/brittania (by golftown) every thursday.. i might go next thurs...
btw, up to 23mpg last tank of 10.2L/100km... 80% highway.... but it's eating oil like crazy tho, don't know why, just had the head rebuilt. Might be the turbo seals tho... that's what im thinking... probably gonna go for a ct27 this summer...

athousandleaves

In an effort to put this thread back on topic...

How many of you guys with poor mileage have done an EGR delete?

If you have, try plugging it back in for a tank and see how it goes.

If you haven't check your plugs for fouling and the EGR lines for leaks.

Run through the full BGB EGR check procedures.

Perhaps my fuel economy is so good because I have a JDM engine... No EGR.

If your EGR is stuck open you will experience terrible mpg's and random stalling from what I've read.

Greg_Canada

athousandleaves":1kih7fn3 said:
In an effort to put this thread back on topic...

How many of you guys with poor mileage have done an EGR delete?

If you have, try plugging it back in for a tank and see how it goes.

If you haven't check your plugs for fouling and the EGR lines for leaks.

Run through the full BGB EGR check procedures.

Perhaps my fuel economy is so good because I have a JDM engine... No EGR.

If your EGR is stuck open you will experience terrible mpg's and random stalling from what I've read.
Ah yes i am also running a JDM top end (head mani and turbo).
Interesting...

tintman22

I got rid of my 1990 300zx tt to get my Celica! And I would do it agian in ahart beat. I just got tired of having a fast car that I could only drive 4mths of the year. Also everyone has one these days.

Dups90gt

humm egr, never thought of that. I still have my block off plates from when my ERG cracked last year.. only thing is I spent 140 on a new EGR pipe last year , it would suck if it were that but ill go check it anyway plus its Emissions time again this september... guess I gotta get a cat now too

Dups90gt

ok I got 348km on Monday and still had 1/4 or 1/4 a tank, for the last 1/4 i stayed out of boost. I filled up on Monday and decided to stay off boost as much as possible to see what I would get, so far so good. 98% off boost keeping it at 0 boost/vacuum. so far I'mat 89km and only 1/2 of the first 1/4 marker, normally at 60km I would have finished off 1/4 of the tank! We'll see how it goes... but damn! im driving like a granny soon ill have to move to France with the other pussies..

My goal is to break 400km!

nzcelica

I tend to be nice to passengers so have managed 8.5kms/L or 460km's on a tank when driving people around. No boost and quiet - changing gears at around 3000rpm. My car has one of those huge racoon nest exhausts (5 or 6 inch I think), so rather noisy.

Corey

Some recent figures for my car: JDM engine (so no EGR and no Cats)

At 180 km/h 5000rpm highway cruise: 20L/100 km or 12mpg

At 90-110 km/h highway cruise: 8.5-10L/100 km or 28-24 mpg

Corey

I'm not sure.

JDM celicas came with only one in the downpipe. Ive since replaced it with a KO downpipe. I don't think there was a noticeable difference in mileage.

RedCelicaTRD

Dups90gt":eoc57l7u said:
does not having a cat affect your gas mileage?

On newer cars with multiple o2/air-fuel sensors it does, but on old dinosaurs like ours it does not. If the cat is plugged however, it could cause problems.

hey guys, just adding my two bits to the fuel economy issue. other than replacing your O2 sensor, you should also check the wiring from your o2 sensor as it connects to the connector from the harness and further down the harness. Mine had a break about 8 inches down in the harness that was causing issues. our harnesses are so old and crispy that you might have a break somewhere. Further to that, you should get a wideband so you can really see how rich you are running in various engine rpms. You may need to tweek your AFM cause that shit is old too and the action inside fatigues. I've gotten a lot better economy and throttle response since fixing those things. Once my new rebuild is broken in, i can only imagine an even better fuel econ. Hope that helps.

Dups90gt

good idea, my AFM is shit already, i want to get rid of it but VPC is too old and EMS too expensive.. 3rd gen ECU upgrade to messy.

Greg_Canada

Dups90gt":3ds7mi1q said:
hahaha

You know I have this feeling I have a vac leak somewhere but since you're in Toronto you know how dam cold it is out side.. Before I installed my turbo my oil pressure gauge gauge read 40-50 at idle and 70-85 with load now it reads 40 at idle and 100 when I p=step on the gas, it acts like an RPM gauge! I've got a 3" downpipe, No cat, 2.5" piping with a 11X31X3 front mount intercooler, HKS EVC running 11psi, 2.5" from the downpipe back and a Remus racing muffler, megan lowering springs, re did my brake lines last year, will do fuel lines this summer, Turbo Smart BOV recirc. , running 205 65R15 winters and 225 40R17's in the summer on Enkei RS6 wrapped in Kumhos. 80% of the rust removed from the rockers and quarter and most of the underside last year but I have a few spots left to do this year under the brake lines, straight intake with a cheapo ebay cone filter, I change my oil every change of season using AMSOIL 10W30 in the summer and SYNTEC 5W30 in the winter, replaced my EGR valve last year due to a cracked pipe (wow 140 for the pipe from toyota) TWM short shifter, replaced my front seats, installed a compustar alarm/autostart and an after market steering wheel with quick release and an after market stereo and I think thats about it.. What about you?

Straight intake... is the AFM positioned normally, or is it on it's side? Read this: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=36744&start=0
Also, your winter tires are 8.6% taller than stock (multiply your mileage by 1.086 in winter) and summers are 2.7% taller than stock (multiply by 1.027 in summer).

Dups90gt

my afm is straight and my intake is straight too, i've been driving around 95% not boosting and basically driving like im from France. so my gas is a little less than half tank and i've driven 308km already! normally at this time i'd be out of gas gassing up, its been 2 weeks and i've only used a bit more than half a tank of gas! Shit does boost make that much of a diff?