Thermal Intake (Phenolic) Spacers

not12listen

I have been doing some research on these, and have been in contact with a company that can build a custom (8mm) thick spacer. The device helps to lower the temperature of the intake manifold by limiting the transfer of heat from the head to the intake manifold. It can be used on any vehicle, regardless of whether it is NA, Supercharged or Turbo'd.

The company that makes these spacers does require a certain number of units to be produced, to give us consumers a reasonable price. I have already contacted the company asking what that magical number is.

As I am not a vendor, I cannot and will not put together a group buy.

If anyone is interested in such a device, I will gladly put you in contact with the company, thereby eliminating the middle man.

If someone else (with vendor status) wishes begin a group buy, I will forward all emails between myself and the company in question and assist where necessary.

The application in specific would fit the 3SGE and 3SGTE, but would NOT remove the TVIS portion of the intake. Of course, extended bolts/studs would be strongly suggest (or perhaps required) to make all of this work.

I am also seeing if they would create the same spacer for the 4AGE and 4AGZE... Same basic rules and requirements apply. :)

If anyone is interested, please let me know, so I can contact the company so as to demonstrate more than 1 person's interest in this product. :)

darthripley

making a 4agze spacer would be pretty tricky for a MKI MR2 since there isn't much room there at all to begin with.
you would need to do measurements to figure out exactly what size spacer could be used there so the manifold etc would still be able to clear the engine compartment.

___Scott___

Many years ago there was a group buy for phenolic spacers for the 1st/2nd gen 3S-GTE. I believe it was organized through the MR2 group, but I'm not sure about that. It's possible that they may still be available through twosareus or ATS or some other vendor who caters to the MR2/All-Trac community.

darthripley

ATS has them but you have to ditch the tvis to use it on a 3sgte.

i'd be interested in one for a 4agze on MKI MR2 but as cheap as MKI owners are i doubt you could get more than 10-12 people who would actually pay.

RedCelicaTRD

You can buy these off ebay already. I purchased one for my st165 and it allowed you to retain the tvis. it wasnt very thick but it did do a good job.

gt4tified

underscore":28x1afc9 said:
Check the latest episode of Project Binky, they use one but I'm not sure who made it.

I did see it, but as they didn't state who made it, that doesn't help a bit. :p

alltrac801

I know KO Racing sells a spacer as well. Its $155. I'm going to try and gut my TVIS plate and just use it without it functioning like stock.

Magroo

I did it like a year-and-a-half ago when I "rebuilt" my engine and left it in the car. It's a bit of a pain in the ass to remove the intake manifold but it's possible. You'll have to peel back the engine wiring harness and remove the fuel rail. There are two brackets or stays whatever you want to call them that hold the intake manifold up to the block. I used a very small quarter inch drive ratchet with 12 mm or 14 mm socket I think.

I use rebuilt in quotes because I just pulled the head off and dropped the oil pan and replace the pistons and rings with Wiseco. At the same time I installed ARP studs and a cometic head gasket.