how about a group buy for new factory floor mats?

YerRandO

I've mentioned in another thread that I've been talking to David at twosrus about doing reproduction floor mats as they all ready carry some for MR2s. I'm open to sourcing them from anywhere willing to produce a quality product, I just figured this would be the simple way to go about it as they all ready have all the contacts set up and a reputable site to purchase them from. While he seemed open to the idea and owns an alltrac himself with a set of floor mats to use for templates I don't think its gone any further than discussing it at the moment. As with anything in the alltrac world progress is slow moving but I'm hopeful this will pan out.

Here is a link to the mats the carry for the MR2s with reviews:
http://www.twosrus.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22_42&products_id=443

He did have some questions in our last email:

Aside from grey, what others colors were available stock?
I wasn't sure if blue was an option I know I've seen it on FWD models. I wouldn't mind a black set if that was an option.

Would people be happy with only reproducing fronts?
He mentioned only to keep costs down and most rears don't see a lot of wear. I don't know about anyone else but I don't even have rear mats I only have one very beat up passengers mat so a full set for me would be nice.

I have asked if they would be embroidered like the MR2 mats but have not heard back I'm going to assume they would be. My Canadian model has "Turbo 4WD" embroidered on it (same as my stock rear badge) I know it was marketed with several names depending on location. What does everyone suggest would be the best option? To simplify things I think it best to stick to one option for the embroidery as to not overly complicate things. I'm not terribly fond of the "Turbo 4WD" badges I'd rather have "GT-Four" or a simple "Celica" but I'd like to hear everyones suggestions.

I'm not suggesting this as our only method of producing reproduction mats if someone has another idea please explore it, I'm simply looking for mats like the rest of you and any option would be better than what we have now.

Boo_Guy

Grey or black with Celica on them would be my vote.

Id like a full 4 piece set, but wouldnt have a problem with just the front mats.

darthripley

Grey w/the word CELICA embroidered on them was the stock option for most Alltrac/GT-Fours.
The RHD JDM mats I have and have had in the past had the word CELICA embroidered on them.
Canadian & possibly some Euro models have Turbo4WD on their factory mats.

I can ask BoostedBlue if he has mats & if they are blue or not since he has a Medium Blue Pearl. The blue carpet option would have been on the Medium Blue Pearl & 90-91 maybe some cloth '92 Super White models. I know for '93 USDM all models came with leather & that was shadow grey so the mats/carpet would have been grey also.

I want a complete set of 4, but if I can only get 2 fronts then I'll settle for that.
The only 2 things about making the mats is to make sure the grey is a nice match to the factory shadow grey carpet and that the font for the word CELICA on the mats matches the rear emblems.

YerRandO - please direct David to this thread and let him see the interest & that we REALLY need floor mats made pleeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzee!!!!

athousandleaves

Firstly, there aren't enough pictures in this post.

t5p2it.jpg

My 92 came with a full set of OEM mats in really good shape but they don't have the nice 3rd rear mat that the JDM set above does and they say turbo 4wd on em. Also I think my rear mats are more square...

RVAtMTi3Lt41FGMli3phZ8AqX.jpg

I could look into getting a reproduction run of mine made by someone locally seeing as there's this much interest - about 17 people so far by my count.

I'll put up pictures of my whole set if you guys want to see them.

darthripley

I have the front 2 of the JDM mats & that's basically what I would want the reproductions to look like, except have them be LHD.
The rears in that pic are backwards ... the metal snaps snap onto the center hump piece & all 3 pieces form a snapped together unit in the rear.

I'd like to see your complete turbo4WD set to see what the rears look like on it.

athousandleaves

I've had the fronts in storage since I got the car so the passenger one has a mild crease to it that should settle out; never really noticed how curvy the rear ones are though.

I have some pictures of them sitting in the car but it's hard to see that they're actually a proper fit because making out the contours of the floor relative to the mat is difficult.

2hmfpma.png

I don't think I got the orientation of the rear mats right in the picture...

~edit~

Got my first quote in today on duplicating the mats, looks to be in the $200 range without embroidery.
The guy's supplier is worried that he's going to have to license the "celica" or "GT-Four" from Toyota and they won't put it on the mats unless it's legit.
I asked him to see if any other supplier would do it and still he said they won't.

Looks like this could be the end of the line for embroidered mats :(

athousandleaves

Yeah, its way too steep for reproduction mats.

I've got calls in with a few other places to see what they can do.

My front mats have part numbers on them but they don't really exist in any epc type thing that i've tried them in...

YerRandO

darthripley":1prmlz7b said:
YerRandO - please direct David to this thread and let him see the interest & that we REALLY need floor mats made pleeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzee!!!!

I will send him a link and pass on the info

athousandleaves

I sorta gave up after contacting 8 places and hearing the same thing over and over again - quotes of $200-500/set of 4 without embroidery unless Toyota agrees :(

If there really is enough demand for these I'd consider renting an serger and doing it myself.