Is there any interest in a Cat-back for st185?

sentraman

Ok, so I have been asked if there is possibly any interest in having a 3in Catback built for the st185. So I am here asking if you guys are interested in this product. I understand that we are a limited production car, but i am sure we would all enjoy having more options out there for us. So the makers of the TRACKFORGED midpipe is possibly thinking of offering a cat back for us. Here is the thread to their midpipe which Terracar had organized and I helped keep it together. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=42599

I would like to hear some feedback from you guys on options of mufflers, stainless, mild, over axle, underaxle, and etc. Obviously the cheapest option would be aluminized, no name muffler, and under axle style. We basically wanna try and offer something that isnt overly priced, but fair enough that all parties are happy.

So if we can get so opinions on style and design, we can try and get this started.

Now for the 165 guys, we would love to include this for you guys as well, but local to us, we don't have any willing 165 guys that are willing to bring there car to us and let us mock things up for a few days... If there is any interest we could work something out.

Terracar

I do not need a cat-back as I already had Track Forged build mine when they did the MP, but I wanted to share my experience.

I had my cat-back 3" mandrel bent routed under axle. I was concerned at first about bottoming out, but TF did a great job with supporting and routing the piping. I have never bottomed out not have I heard a single rattle. I travel more uneven, non-paved, pothole ridden roads in a week than most will see in a year and still have never bottomed out. Granted my 'trac is sitting on sagging 20year old stock suspension, there is still plenty of clearance.

I know they will do it right, no matter if you go with under or over axle. If you got their mid-pipe, you already know the quality of their work. And they have already proven that they support our cars and take care of business in a timely fashion, check out the MP groupbuy thread if you doubt this.

Get your votes/opinions in.

The cat-back I went with was: Stainless, under axle, single out Vibrant muffler (similar to Apexi N1), with an additional muffler.

-Terracar
IMG_2312.jpg

IMG_2313.jpg

lumbercis

Why not just buy an HKS? Purely from a business perspective, if I was a small shop making custom parts, I'd concentrate on common upgrade parts that are not available from any other source (like the midpipe they made). The cat-back is a different animal since there are already other high-quality options available.

A few things they could design and market that they would be the sole supplier of:
A bolt on 5x114.3 conversion w/brake options (stock, wilwood, ST205 etc)
Any bolt-on intercooler setup: upgraded top mount, front mount with 2.5" or 3" piping options w/clocked or unclocked turbo.
A plethora of suspension parts: rear insert conversions w/coilover option. Lightweight control arms, subframes, roll center adjusters and associated parts to allow more lowering. The sky's the limit on suspension stuff.

I'm sure there's more but you get the gist.

J

sentraman

Thanks for the heads up, I am sure TF will chime in soon enough...

IC setup would be a little difficult to accomplish as there are too many variables to work with... Such as bumper styles, sidefeed intake, stock turbo, big turbo and etc... but i am sure they will chime in on here...

how about a catback or full 3in exhaust for us fwd guys? still to this day, no one manufactures anything for the fwd counterpart.

toayoztan

I agree, there will be considerable less interest in a custom catback due to the available options out there (but I may be proven wrong!).

If you're talking about a run-of-the-mill cheap quality option catback that fits...it already exists - the iMotoria SSAC/eBay one. If the installer knows how to correctly secure it, it will NOT rattle or hit anything to cause noise...that's already a strong competitor there. I've ran the iMotoria for almost 4 years when the car was running, never had a single issue with the catback, the welds, quality, etc. Just a heads up/fyi is all!

I also feel more effort should be placed on non-common stuff. A roll cage would be awesome (you can make those standard such as the hoops and other parts fitting into any alltrac and would allow options of extra cross bars, etc).

Strut bars would be another good option, I suppose.

Bryan