site search sucks!

boost_creep

After trying to find a thread i have seen a while ago about how to change the valve cover gasket and how to clean it then where to put sealant before dropping it back on, I have decided i would do this some day, well that day is today i the search function on this site wont let me find it! might just be me that is retarded or the site having problems. Let me know if this has happened to you before or if you know what im doing wrong.

tw2

The answer to your question is put sealant around the cam caps, 2 caps where the cams come out by the timing belt cover and the cam cap at the other end where the distributor is. 6 "corners" in total where there is not always sufficient pressure to seal.

You are not supposed to reuse gaskets but I have tried cleaning them really well with degreaser, getting a brush and getting all the grit out from the valve cover again with degreaser as well and wiping the sealing surface of the head and they seal really well. I think they mainly leak due to crud affecting the seal. I used a brass bristle brush and really got the crap out of the grooves the gasket sits in.

Throw away the stock screws and use bolts, I think they are M6x1 threads. Use 5Nm max torque otherwise you can break the tabs off the valve cover. 5Nm is twice the stock recommended torque and gives a much better seal without risking damage (it can take a lot more and yes I have broken tabs off finding out).

There are 4 screws along the back and 3 along the front I think to get the valve cover off. You will need to obviously remove the ignition leads, intercooler if you have it there and throttle body + support. You might need to unscrew the top bolts for the timing belt cover to loosen up the electrical harness that goes across the end. You have probably found your info now otherwise hope that helps.

boost_creep

Lol yes it was plenty of info, i feel like ive been spoon fed! :D :p . I finally got it all done i just didn't remember if we had to apply more sealant elsewhere. but my car runs better now with the fresh ignition, and no oil on top of my sparks -_-' i was just asking if anyone had trouble with the search function. Thanks for the replies guys! :D