What boost controller do you run ?

Matty-st185

Hey my peoples

Just trying to see what the best boost controller to suit the st185 is ?

A lot of people swear by Apexis avcr but is it over kill for something just running 15psi ?
I want to eliminate the standard restrictive standard ecu boost settings in 1st gear
I know with the avcr you can change the boost duty cycle according to rpm range
If I've read that correctly ?

But if I went with lets say a greddy profec boost controller
This doesn't give that option so will it just boost at max climbing to the psi
Through out the rev range according to trying to achieve maximum
Boost for instance if I have it set to 15psi

What benefit is there for adding a forge adjustable boost actuator
Set to 1 bar also ? Would this restrict boost creep ?
I don't understand what the difference is
With running the standard actuator with ebc is to running a
Adjustable actuator with ebc is ?

I have a hks fcd running along with fse fuel pressure reg
To accommodate fuelling as I've read the standard ecu
Is very capable of fuel maps for 1bar or 15psi

So what boost controller are you running

underscore

I just put on a 3" exhaust and let the boost sort itself out. I'm looking at sorting out a $5 solution that will allow full boost in all gears via the TVSV

819_ay

I have an apexi avcr and i enjoy it, i like that you can have two different setups, and switch between the two or turn it off, it's easier then poping the hood when you want more or less boost...

4rsnduction

I have the same type of boost controller as the twosRus unit.
It is 100% reliable, very cheap and gives strong, sharp and crisp boost response until the desired boost level is reached.
There are lots of cheaper versions floating around, mine cost $20
Manual boost controllers are a good starting point, you can set and forget and its very simple and easy to use even a child could do it.

ktulu

I've been looking at the go fast bits g - force II. That'll be down the road for me, since my head is still at the shop.

underscore

Matty-st185":zz3z8qeb said:
That's not very reliable though is it ?

What do you mean? I get the same boost every day, it's higher than stock and just below the OEM cutoff for an RC.

Matty-st185

Explain if you have time your set up and what your boosting at

I was under the impression that these cars
Have trouble pushing anything but standard boost without proper management
And when pushing anything more than standard they get boost creep / they spike
And also come on boost and then the boost starts falling off (ie not able to maintain a reliable boost pressure)

That's what I ment by unreliable

So how does this $5 mod work if you say it's reliable that's awesome !
Is a constant 15psi available
Do you need : fuel pressure reg / actuator or anything ?
Presume the hks fcd is needed

Corey

I'm using a manual turbo smart boost tee. Very happy with it. Holds boost well. Presently set to 17 psi.

Before installing I had no boost controller installed at all. It would creep to around 12 psi and hold there. I thought that was fine. But its an awful solution because it isn't an immediate onset like it is with a boost controller. The controller will keep the wastegate shut far longer. Without it, the gate will open at the spring setting and lazily creep to an equilibrium pressure and no higher.

underscore

Answers are in red and below.

Matty-st185":2xmmlpyj said:
Explain if you have time your set up and what your boosting at

I was under the impression that these cars
Have trouble pushing anything but standard boost without proper management
You can't go above your stock fuel cutoff without some sort of FCD, for my RC that's 17psi, for a regular 185 I think it's 14.7psi or 1bar
And when pushing anything more than standard they get boost creep / they spike
And also come on boost and then the boost starts falling off (ie not able to maintain a reliable boost pressure)
That's an issue with the flow of the turbo

That's what I ment by unreliable

So how does this $5 mod work if you say it's reliable that's awesome !
Is a constant 15psi available
Do you need : fuel pressure reg / actuator or anything ?
Presume the hks fcd is needed

I haven't been able to test it yet but basically the turbo will boost to a few PSI higher in 3/4/5 than 1/2 due to the TVSV, which in a stock configuration is controller by the ECU. My plan is to tie the control for the TVSV to a 2-5psi pressure switch, so once you go over 5psi the TVSV activates and you can get full boost in all gears. For my car, due to the 3" straightpipe exhaust, that'll be 15-16psi (cheap gauge) which is as close as I want to get to my 17psi cutoff. It's not technically a boost controller, but it lets you use the stock boost controller in all gears.

psipwrd

In my haste, I ordered a hallman "style" BOV from ebay, got the BLOX lookalike. Works perfect tho. Just ordered AEM BCS...

GT4_DRED

CMS-GT4":iv1m1gw8 said:
This is more up my alley. I have the Greddy Profec Spec B II. Its just more complicated than I want. If I was on a dyno or at a drag strip I could set it more easily, but its a pain to try and do on my own on the street.
I had the Profec B Spec II at one point and switched back to the regular Profec B. You just cant beat it for simplicity, as long as you're staying below 30 psi..

phattyduck

GT4_DRED":13ao1gm1 said:
CMS-GT4":13ao1gm1 said:
This is more up my alley. I have the Greddy Profec Spec B II. Its just more complicated than I want. If I was on a dyno or at a drag strip I could set it more easily, but its a pain to try and do on my own on the street.
I had the Profec B Spec II at one point and switched back to the regular Profec B. You just cant beat it for simplicity, as long as you're staying below 30 psi..
My original Profec B runs great. 13psi daily, 17psi in high-boost mode, no creep, fast boost and no problems on my 3rd gen motor.

-Charlie