So I had to have my alltrac towed...

sammyw

For the first time since I have been driving my alltrac I had to have it towed a couple weeks ago. :doh:

Long story short my car alarm failed on me and wouldn't disarm. This particular car alarm did not allow the car to start if it was going off.

After an hour of trying to get it disarmed I gave up and called a tow and was going to have the alarm removed (it was old and has acted up on me before). I called my insurance company to set up the tow, and confirmed with them that the tow company would be informed that my car is AWD. "Oh of course, it says right here" they told me over and over.

They lied. :bangshead:

After three hours of waiting and my phone dying on me, the tow truck showed up and it wasn't a flat bed. After panicking for a second, I remembered they could just put it on dollies. The tow truck driver gets out and I ask if he is planning to put it on dollies. Why he asks. OH. MY. GOD. I told him because my car is AWD. He told me he doesn't dolly cars. WHAT! He looks back at his paper and proceeds to tell me that he has never heard of an AWD Celica and he has been towing for nine plus years. Well.... It is AWD and it has to be on a flat bed or dollied I tell him. He calls dispatch and finds out the flatbed won't be available for five hours.

And after a short conversation with dispatch he agrees to dolly it. Thank goodness!

It was so nerve wracking seeing my car towed. :(

Anyways long story short make sure you are with your alltrac when you have it towed. Do you guys have any stories about having your alltrac towed?

Awesome-Trac

When I had to tow mine off the freeway when the motor blew I always tell the tow company I need a flatbed no matter what! FWD, RWD and 4WD I still request a flatbed

underscore

The only time mine has been towed I was getting buddies to do it with trailers. I actually ordered some "AWD VEHICLE - FLATBED TOW ONLY" warnings decals that myself ad my friends with odd AWD vehicles have been putting right above the VIN on the windshield so the tow drivers see it when they go to check the VIN. I agree with the above though, unless you have a stock right height car, call for a flat bed unless you don't want your muffler or rear bumper skin.

Oh and those stupid immobilizer alarms are really easy to bypass, you can do it right from the brain.

sammyw

underscore":1ceoia5f said:
Oh and those stupid immobilizer alarms are really easy to bypass, you can do it right from the brain.

Really? I was on the phone with the stereo shop I had remove it, they told me to look for the valet button. Unfortunately this alarm was hastily installed by Car Toys on New Years day 2005, I remember because one of my Dad's Supras was stolen (along with many other cars in our neighborhood) the night before. So I didn't know where it was because the car wasn't mine at the time.

It was all around an interesting Saturday, I had my six month old puppy with me. Thankfully the driver didn't mind letting her ride in the truck.

I think in the future I am going to insist on a flatbed, the driver didn't really appreciate using the dollies.

Rick89GTS

Never, ever trust tow truck drivers to do the right thing for your AWD vehicle. I agree, always be there and insist on flatdeck or dollies.

88gt4DE

Trust nobody with yer Alltrac ... for any problem.

zwjfrl.jpg

819_ay

88gt4DE":cy39tz3n said:
Trust nobody with yer Alltrac ... for any problem.

^
|
|

I agree...took my all trac to a mechanic ONCE...and it was the last since then, do everything on my own, cheaper and if i mess something up i'm the only one to blame lol!

to stay on topic, i've had mine towed several times, and always asked for a flatbed, and always got one :), haven't had any problems yet with tow companies

mike325ci

luckily calling for a tow is not a common event for me... i had a period of starting problems and one day the car stopped in the middle of greenwich village in manhattan. called AAA, specifically asking for a flatbed because my car is an AWD yada yada. after 45 minutes, who shows up? a small tow truck with the crane type. i told him, no can do, call a flatbed. then went to try to start my car again and it started, so i told him to leave. and that was that.

seems like everyone wants a flatbed, AWD or not, so tow places don't have them readily available? in any case, it sucks that you had the guy tell you he's never seen or heard of an AWD celica. i don't doubt him. like i said in another thread, i have never seen another alltrac on the roads in person in my 10 years of ownership, and i live in one of the most populated cities in this country...

underscore

sammyw":2ofcf41i said:
underscore":2ofcf41i said:

Really? I was on the phone with the stereo shop I had remove it, they told me to look for the valet button. Unfortunately this alarm was hastily installed by Car Toys on New Years day 2005, I remember because one of my Dad's Supras was stolen (along with many other cars in our neighborhood) the night before. So I didn't know where it was because the car wasn't mine at the time.

It was all around an interesting Saturday, I had my six month old puppy with me. Thankfully the driver didn't mind letting her ride in the truck.

I think in the future I am going to insist on a flatbed, the driver didn't really appreciate using the dollies.

Yeah if you find the wiring diagram for that model of alarm it's easy, some you don't even need the diagram depending on the wire colours.

phattyduck

Try it with a Camry Alltrac... My last tow was the day before Thanksgiving last year - luckily they actually did send out a flatbed after verifying 3-4 times (and the towing company calling to ask if a regular truck was ok anyway).

-Charlie