Whats Your MPG

Awesome-Trac

I guess i'm kind of curious what everyone else is getting especially how gas prices seem to be going up. I daily drive my Trac pretty much everyday now "pain in the ass sometimes" but i'm averaging 15mpg city and about 23mpg highway on a 1st Gen motor/2nd Gen trans St165 since i finally got my speedo working. Hopefully i'm in mid range of decent gas consumption on this car :shrug:
So for all the Trac members Whats your MPG look like?

MrMcQuacker

yo be honest I don't know what I am getting for highway or street. But overall I am usually averaging 19.5 MPG. That's city and highway.

CMS-GT4

My best around town with a 205 swap and RC box is about 19. I usually see closer to 17. I really want to see if I can improve it. At the track it drinks it rather quickly.

FC Zach

I'm trying to keep up with all my gas receipts for a whole year and get an average for both city/highway driving and warm/cold months. I have a few more months of data to collect and I'll have most of the info I need.

So far in these winter months with it being as cold as it's been my MPGs around town are pretty bad, roughly 13 to 15 and highway around 20 to 23 at most. I am hoping that doing an average for year-round MPGs would better reflect what my car gets on average, not separating whether it's highway/city or winter/summer.

May seem a little OCD but I guess I can be sometimes :)

Thinking about it just now. . my MPG may actually be better than I think because I forgot to take into consideration that my overall tire size is off from factory. My speedo reads slower than I'm actually going so I am really putting more miles on the car than what the odometer reads. . :shrug:

underscore

Somewhere around 16l/100km when driving carefully, which is something like 15MPG. That's with a broken O2 sensor though.

Corey

I get between 7.5 (31mpg) and 10 L/100km (24 mpg).

Gen 3 Efi with 540 injectors, st intake, e154f box, 2.5" turbo back exhaust no cats

CMS-GT4

My gen 3 has full turbo back exhaust, intake and boost controller. I have read claims that an ems can net better mpg when tuned right. I want to find a balance of power and mpg. If I am going to do a track day or run mountain roads, I don't want to have to fill up a few times due to an inefficient setup.

___Scott___

One mod that seldom gets considered when fuel economy is discussed is tires. Some have lower rolling resistance than others, and of course air pressure plays an important roll.

My latest experience is with winter tires. I ran Continental Extreme Winter Contact tires for several years and was generally getting 28 to 30 mpg (US gallons) in a daily commute mix of about 20/80 percent city/highway driving on my bone-stock ST165. They were used up before this winter arrived and I would have bought another set because they were really great tires (I did buy a set for my wifes Jeep,) but they were not available in the size I like for winter (185/70/14.) I settled on General Altimax Arctic tires that size. Since the switch, my fuel economy has dropped about 3 mpg with the same commute on the same car and no other mods.

On a winter tire note: the ice/snow grip of the Altimax Arctic is just as good as the Extreme Winter Contact tires, but suck in every other way. The Continentals communicated very well so I always knew how much grip I had before they let go. The Generals don't communicate at all and I have to stab the brakes or jerk the steering wheel to figure out how much grip is there. The handling characteristics of the Generals are just plain spooky and cross-wind stability is the worst I've ever experienced with any tire. Unfortunately winter tire options in the 185/70/14 size are pretty limited so I guess I have to settle for what's available.

phattyduck

Gary ST165":3adq4x59 said:
best i have seen in my ST185 RC with MoTeC M4 ecu is 36+ mpg at 60 mph on a long journey
Convert that to US gallons and its less impressive (something like 31 mpg). :twisted:

I now get 22-23 mpg in my daily driving with larger than stock rolling diameter Pilot Super Sport tires
I used to get 24-25 mpg with older Nitto Neo-gen tires, slightly undersized
Before the ST205 swap (3s-fe auto) I would get 24-26 mpg, generally

From what I have heard/read, the ST205 gets better mileage along with making more power, stock for stock, than the ST185 or ST165. Oh, and my car has a full 3" exhaust, intake and FMIC. Stock otherwise for the drivetrain.

And tires can make a huge difference - sticky 17" tires on my WRX = 24-26 mpg, 16" all-seasons = 28-30 mpg

-Charlie

New Guy

I run 195/65r14s on my SV25 and the highest I ever saw was 27.8mpg (US gallons) on the freeway. Highway fuel economy has always been so-so at between 24 and 26mpg, lower on winter blend fuel which is what you usually get in New Mexico.