Whats Your MPG

mike325ci

I have never gotten above 30mpg in this car ('92 ST185, fairly stock, stock engine w/2.5" DP/exh)

Highway only road trips: 22.6 mpg the last time I measured it
Normal New York City driving day-to-day: ~15-17mpg

This is with the boost controller off. (I only turn it on for autocross/track days (16psi) and when I want to drive a little with no destination (12psi)).

___Scott___

Awesome-Trac":2pyw2b5c said:
Do you guys have a certain RPM that you guys shift at? Most people have been telling me to shift at 3k to save gas
If you are trying to save gas, then RPM is the enemy. That means using the highest gear possible everywhere you go, and coasting down hills, coasting up to stop lights etc.... Pump your tires up to about 36 psi. Get up to speed at a good pace, but not too slow and not too quickly.

underscore

___Scott___":18swjhoi said:
Awesome-Trac":18swjhoi said:
Do you guys have a certain RPM that you guys shift at? Most people have been telling me to shift at 3k to save gas
If you are trying to save gas, then RPM is the enemy. That means using the highest gear possible everywhere you go, and coasting down hills, coasting up to stop lights etc.... Pump your tires up to about 36 psi. Get up to speed at a good pace, but not too slow and not too quickly.

Within reason of course, if you bog down too much you're wasting fuel. Also for downhills and slowing down you want to coast in gear so you're not using any fuel.

___Scott___

underscore":1pzeoxfo said:
Within reason of course, if you bog down too much you're wasting fuel. Also for downhills and slowing down you want to coast in gear so you're not using any fuel.
Agreed, no bogging. As for coasting, if you are slowing for traffic or a stop light, then doing so in gear makes sense. If you happen to live where you can coast for a mile or two on your daily commute, you should even if you have to put it back in gear and get back up to speed occasionally. Preserve momentum where you can by taking the "fast line" while coasting.

Just changing my driving style when I was doing mostly city driving yielded a 12% gain in mpg.

leboe

Just drove 500km from Squamish BC to Vernon BC, averaged 8L/100KM (30mpg). And I was bagging the absolute piss out of my Carib, on the freeway I was between 120-150kmph (75-95mph) on mountainous highway.
100km of the drive was thicker traffic leaving Vancouver area