ST165 shift cable removal.

97JZA80

One of my cables is busted. We started the removal process last night but ran out of time. If you have had these out do they go out the engine side or thru the interior. All thats left is to remove the bolts on the firewall in the engine bay. These look almost impossible with the engine in, so any tips for removal let me know!

I swapped one on my 185. It was a serious pain to do. I went through the interior, just have some one pulling from inside and someone guiding it through the firewall.

88gt4DE

Mr Alltrac":3kvusumr said:
I swapped one on my 185. It was a serious pain to do. I went through the interior, just have some one pulling from inside and someone guiding it through the firewall.

So you didn't pull the plate off under the hood on the firewall ?

celica_gtx

I tied a fairly long thin rope at the end of the cable from inside. Once its out re tie it to the new one So when u pull it back thro it will pretty much stay on track.

88gt4DE

Interesting. I didnt think those big flanged parts of the cable would make it through the rubber part on the firewall ....

97JZA80

We got these out last night. For the record the 2 10 mm bolts in the firewall are a real motherXXXXX. Get those out and take the plate and rubber off the firewall and then pull the cables in thru the interior of the car.

Redrkt01

97JZA80":19oawoiv said:
We got these out last night. For the record the 2 10 mm bolts in the firewall are a real motherXXXXX. Get those out and take the plate and rubber off the firewall and then pull the cables in thru the interior of the car.

I have to do this job too. Did you have to move the rack out of the way? I heard before that you have to loosen the rack nuts and back them off an inch or two, then slide the rack away from the firewall along it's mounting studs. Your thoughts would be nice....your pics would be better ;)

celica_gtx

I didnt. I could see how it could help it was a lil bit of a pain gettin the rubber seal n plate back on but its in there

88gt4DE

Redrkt01":2lozotb7 said:
97JZA80":2lozotb7 said:

I have to do this job too. Did you have to move the rack out of the way? I heard before that you have to loosen the rack nuts and back them off an inch or two, then slide the rack away from the firewall along it's mounting studs. Your thoughts would be nice....your pics would be better ;)

We unfortunately didn't take any pics cause you really would see anything anyway. The rack being loosened would prol help a lot but we managed to get it out without. Engine out is perfect as with everything on this car. Going back in is going to be another story. Also we are still looking for cables !!

Redrkt01

88gt4DE":3q3rfxav said:
Redrkt01":3q3rfxav said:
97JZA80":3q3rfxav said:
We unfortunately didn't take any pics cause you really would see anything anyway. The rack being loosened would prol help a lot but we managed to get it out without. Engine out is perfect as with everything on this car. Going back in is going to be another story. Also we are still looking for cables !!

That's too bad........I'm not pulling the engine so I've gotta find a diff way. Maybe GTX's method will work........

88gt4DE

Really other than the interior pics you can't see anything your doing at all. And that's after you remove the cross members ... totally shitty location and access ...

88gt4DE

We finally finished this yesterday with one custom made cable. Inside interior is cake ... underhood the only thing we can say is to pull the wheel off SUPPORT VEHICLE and stick yer head in the passengere front wheel well facing backwards. You will have a brake rotor in yer back. Stick yer right arm up the steering rack direction to get to the little 10mm bolts. Passenger side one is ok , Drivers is a A$$hole ... We had crossmembers and all down and while I was in the wheel well my brother was under and kinda keeping aim and pushing bolt in correct direction with a long flat screwdriver. I can't believe we even got them back on it the right place ... Talk about a retarted place to put those :crazy: ... because Alltrac ! :smokes:

97JZA80

Its totally an a$$hole of a job. helped to have 2 people, one on the passenger side working and one underneath working. you can barely see what your doing but it is doable.

For those I spoke to about the new cable, I emailed 10 vendors to get custom cables made. I got a few responses but only one that was confident they could deliver. I went with California Push-Pull based in California. I worked with Dave, good turnaround time. So far very happy with the results. They charged $150 for a new cable, only thing reused was the ends.

http://www.push-pull.com/

mhr9lw.jpg