ABS Sensors

Kurt_st185_gt4

I may have discovered something here guys. I was in the same pursuit as psipwrd in that I need an ABS sensor to pass inspection. What I have discovered is that the sensor is interchangeable left to right. Both front sensors share the same connector and vice versa for the rear. The only difference is they bolt up backwards so to speak but that should be an easy hardware swap fix. Or if dealing with the rear sensors you shouldn't have to swap anything as they do not have the long bracket on the wire. My idea is to mark the wires, disconnect the prongs from the connector, slide out of "wrong" bracket and into the correct one, reinstall pins to the connector using the markings made earlier and voila! However this is assuming you can locate a abs sensor at all. To which I'm buying a t18 gti(euro version gt/gts) as a parts car and will use its sensor and hub to replace mine. Lots of celicas (relatively speaking) in germany. Let me know if you guys need any parts that can be found in the other 5th gens. I'll check out the local scrap yard and german sites.

Kurt_st185_gt4

After more research and part matching I discovered that the 88 and 89 celica with abs also share the same sensors. I hope this is useful to anyone who want to get rid of the abs light on their dash but not remove the bulb. For me taking out the bulb is just hiding the problem. I take pride in knowing every safety system in my car works especially since I don't have air bags... Otherwise I would just do the abs delete with all of the parts I have access to.

Magroo

I just want to add I successfully used a $14 Camry sensor off eBay with some minor modifications.

The bore was slightly larger than the stock celica sensor so I used a file and sandpaper to slim it down some.

I reused the original pigtail connector cause it was slightly different.

I reused the metal bracket/housing that my original sensor used and just ran the Camry sensor wire through it.

Just make sure its seated down as close to the tone ring as you can get it without touching. Maybe a few mm gap.

I couldn't bring myself to spend almost $300 on a new sensor and figured for $14 off eBay it's disposable if it doesn't work.

Abs works perfect now.